Toyo Opats get retyred

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 15:34
ThreadID: 29536 Views:2800 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
After putting the Toyos into excile after their demonstrated complete incompatancy for bush work I thought I would give them another chance with some easy bitumen, gravel and beach. Well another 2 had air loss malfunctions. I am not interested in finding out why as that was the last straw.
this morning it was down to Beurepairs and 4 goodyear MTR are going on at a price of 285 each (235x16)
interestingly the ian Diffen place said he had a shedfull of wrecked MTR and I would be better of with eather Maxis or Hankook however he didnt stock Goodyear and couldnt even tell me what ply sidewalls any of his tyres had
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 16:07

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 16:07
Just don't expect the same "mileage" out of the MTR's as the Toyo's! And from memory, the MTR's are only 8 ply rated at maximum, most are 6 ply rated, load range B.
AnswerID: 147608

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 16:38

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 16:38
I got maybe 5,000k out of the toyos some much less (near new when i got the vehicle) so I really dought the MTR will give me less milaege. the mtr are 10 ply rating with from memory 3 sidewall and 6 tread. I really had to remove the Toyos because they were unsafe to take off road with flats being experienced with all but 1 trip (tore the treadblocks off that trip) with one destryed and others needing dodgy sidewall patches - it only takes 3 wrecked tyres and you are walking
FollowupID: 400938

Reply By: Nav 8 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:52

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:52
GDay all,,, Just fitted a set of Goodyear Wrangler S/TR on the Navara STR the other day. So far at about 1600K since fitting I have had Five yes FIVE wheel balances, three at differant places. They have got the RH/front down to 120grm lead and the LH/front down to 100grm,I am haveing balance problems with both static and dynamic eg.wheel shimmy and shudder. Had the last balance done this morning and they are trying to convince me the tyres are Ok. I have never had this problem with new tyres before and dont belive a word of it.

Nav.
AnswerID: 147655

Follow Up By: AndrewW - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 09:11

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 09:11
I had this problem when I first got my MTRs. Heaps of wheel balances from imcompetent tyre shops, none of which could figure out the the tyres where severly out of round. One was real bad with a high patch for 1/3 of the tyre, two had a slight low spot for 1/3 of the tyre, and the other one I don't know. Anyway I chased Goodyear, and they replaced them.

I bet that is what is wrong with yours too.

Andrew
FollowupID: 401038

Reply By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:57

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:57
Another MT/R convert!!
I reckon its funny that owners of tyre shops that drive their '05 patrols with not a scratch on them claim to have knowledge of how other manufacturers products fare in the real rough stuff. He tried the same with me when I was looking for my second set of 6. I do go to him for all my tyre work, but he sure hates MT/Rs.

I hope you kept the other opats... I need some new cheap rubber to smoke up.

AnswerID: 147656

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:43

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:43
got over 10 tyres out the back now. those bald MFR are great for getting some noise on bitumen. they stopped ok (in the dry at least) but anything more than light brake pressure would get them squeeling - which must have been pretty disconcerting for lowered ricers having a 4by squeel to a stop behind them at the maccas lights
FollowupID: 401056

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 23:23

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 23:23
One thing about tyre dealers I've learned is never to trust a word they say. Very few are offroaders, and they will make up anything to sell the brands they stock.
And I guess the line "never heard of that before" is something they learn early in the game.
AnswerID: 147699

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:52

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:52
He invited me out the back to check out a vhicle with a trashed MTR which I declined as i thought it pointless without knowing where it was (probably A minesite or being run flat) when it was trashed. Besides if you only buy tyres which never get trashed you wont be buying much.
Asked him what ply the sidewalls were on the tyres he was recomending and was told they were 10 ply ---- yea right.
Another dealer told me he thought Goodyear were pretty averadge but furthere questioning revealed he would have been talking of the old goodyear wranglers from 10yr so years ago
Anyway I will be able to make my own opinion now
FollowupID: 401057

Follow Up By: gramps - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:55

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:55
"And I guess the line "never heard of that before" is something they learn early in the game"

And I've never heard of that before either Phil :)))))))

Pretty commonplace unfortunately, no matter what consumer item it concerns hahahaha

Lucky we've all got access to the best 'testing lab' in existence regarding our recreational choices - this Forum. You've just got to match your requirements with the sometimes differing opinions LOL
FollowupID: 401059

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:14

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:14
Davoe,

Before the MTRs were released in the States about 4 years ago, the Goodyears were garbage - no puncture resistance, and a fair number of unhappy customers. Then when the BFG went a bit soft with the KOs, Goodyear went one step better, and used similar 3-ply construction and the MTRs took over the market in the states.

Your dealer's "10ply" is a load rating which corresponds to the strength of the tyre for the old days when the plies were made of cotton (need to check out a few of Len Beadells old tyres at the signposts on his highways). Your tyres probably have a load index of 120, which means they are equivalent to the old "ten ply" rating for that size, but only have 3 actual plies.

Anyway, get out there and give them a flogging :-))

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 401143

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:17
Hi gramps,

Yeah forums can be good and bad. Get a lot of posts about people who are really happy after 2k on the new tyres. I reckon most people at that stage would not dare be unhappy after forking out the dough. Opinions can change a couple of years later - so its always good to hear from people who have done a lot of k's in a harsh environment.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 401145

Follow Up By: gramps - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:22

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:22
Hi Phil,

Yeah you're right. After a while you get a feel for who has been there done that. The opinions are all well intentioned but sometimes you need to hear the 'battle hardened' versions :)
FollowupID: 401148

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:35

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:35
Thats why i got the MTR I have zero intrest in listening to people say they have got 40,000k out of there coopers and they are 1/2 worn so they should get 80,0000 etc etc etc. I have wreked plenty of near new tyres and puntured quite a few others. So I was only interested in listening to people i knew used their tyres out bush and personal experience preferably coz I hear alot of stuff on the Net. For this reason i heard from Coops, Ben Spoon and saw Phil G in action as well as finding out where they had actually been rather than getting 80,000 with 99.9% black top and .1% outback roads rather than out bush on the tracks - or not even. All of them gave the MTR a thumbs up which was good enough for me. So lets see what I think. If I get to where i want to go without continual tyre dramas I will consider them a success I dont give a F*()ck if i dont get 80,000 out of them
FollowupID: 401150

Sponsored Links