Numbers.........

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:52
ThreadID: 29544 Views:2110 Replies:10 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I was thinking about statistics today regarding people getting killed on the road. I think they say 3000 people die each year on our roads in Australia. That would mean about 8 people day each day........ which is no doubt to many by far...... The premier got called back from his holiday into a emergency meeting discussing the Christmas holiday Road toll of nearly 90 people.
The time measured is from the 23th of Dec to the 6th of January and that would be 13 Days. In my books 13 times 8 makes 104 people statisticly dying in 13 days. So believing all thise numbers we done very well of the holidays.
No we have to expect double points and bigger fines? sounds all like a lot of bull to me.... somwhere along the lines something is not right here......or can soembody explain to me what I have overlooked?
Bigger fines doint work anyway that is proven now for many years.

Reiner
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: D-Jack - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:15

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:15
Double, triple fines, don't bother me. I DON'T SPEED. EASY.
AnswerID: 147673

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:26

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:26
20,000,000 people driving 100’s of million K’s each year when you think about it 3000 sound’s like a lot but isn’t that high.

On the news today in WA in a few months if you have a radar detector in the car you can be fined $2000, so how is this helping cut the road toll? Is there a connection between deaths on the road and radar detectors, Did I high parentage of the 3000 have Detectors in the Car, very unlikely.

Government’s focus on the wrong areas, instead off let’s train people better from start I.E how to handle and control a car, driving on different surfaces and conditions and at speed+ the road rules.

Instead It’s we will make it hard to get a licence, training consists of a crappy perception test on a Computer, then we will hide radar’s behind trees lower speed limit’s and fine the chit out of people saying it’s all in the name of revenue rasing Ukum I mean road Safety.

How many people died in the NT over the Holiday last I sore it was 0 and they have open limits and no demit points.

We will never have 0 deaths on the road we as humans make mistakes and have accidents, and as the population grows it will only go up as well, driving is a risk you know that when you go out.
AnswerID: 147675

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:36

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:36
I see that in South Africa 639 people died on the roads over the Xmas period. Of that 229 were pedestrians.

World wide 1.2million people get killed on the road each year
AnswerID: 147677

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:46

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:46
I wonder how we compare to other countries? Of course a direct comparison wouldn't be useful, but stats would be interesting.
As for 3000 people not being many, remember that the numbers could be far lower if we started to ask those we pay taxes to, "why is it so ?".
Personally I rekkon any fatality is one too many. In the last week I've experienced five examples of d^&*head driving....and I've purposely kept off the roads as much as possible. Last example was a young man who saw me keeping 2 carlengths behind the vehicle in front. So he figures that's one space for him. No indicators, zap. Car in front stops, he bangs on the anchors and luckily for him I had moved back another space. T'was nearly a case of evolution.
So if I'd of hit him, I would of been charged, he might of been dead and his friends and family decimated. Wouldn't of done much for my sleep either.
But hey, just one more statistic, right ?
AnswerID: 147679

Follow Up By: Exploder - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 22:35

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 22:35
We have haven’t we?, that’s where all these new Anti hoon law’, Double demerit hiding cameras ETC comes from (WA), and it doesn’t achieve a lot.

I do find it amazing that Vic the toughest state in Aus when it comes to driving offices was up there with the rest of the states, so what have all the tough laws accomplished, more money for the Gov as for the road toll well you could ease off the Fines a bit and see if it changers anything, not that you want to start playing with lives, it would be interesting to see if it goes up, down or stays the same tho.

I must say too, that you don’t need to look far to see how accident happen I.E people on the freeway in the Right lane doing 75-80K’s In a 100k Zone with a phone in one hand wile it’s bleep down with rain.
FollowupID: 401010

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 15:47

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 15:47
Exploder, you are right about Nanny Victoria. In Victoria the new anti-hoon law as I understand it if you cause a wheel to lose grip, you can be seen to offend the law.

ahhhhh so any time you lift a wheel off the road or track you are seen to offend. The penalty is applied to the car owner. SO if you drive down the road and lose traction you can lose the car by default to the government - they will just take it. The moral of the story is if you tread a little heavily on the go or stop pedal do it in somebody elses car. MUM.........

I see a few people in this forum say if you 'do the crime, you pay the fine'. Funny they do all sorts of other things to avoid paying taxes where it isn't legal. You may insert a description for those people. I could not possibly say se** rit****
FollowupID: 401115

Follow Up By: hoyks - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:25

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:25
I was in Malaysia last year and they had a shop window full of pictures from local bike/car crashes (and no censorship on those pictures at all). The statistic up with them was that they lost around 7500 people in the previous year.
FollowupID: 401292

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:49

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 21:49
It's a fact of life that people will die on the road ,on the sea, or in the air.Sadly accidents will happen but the worst part of the whole scene is when government through there illthought regulations try to fool us in thinking that by taking money off us for some minor offence will fix the problem.A better solution woujd be to have the guts to tackle the real hoons on the road---maybe Singapore style!
AnswerID: 147680

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 22:21

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 22:21
If i follow your thinking and go to the next logical(illogical :) ) step. then i have the perfect solution for getting rid of the real idiots on our roads. Give truck drivers one day per month where they are allowed to cull the drongo, braindead, moronic,,,,,,,,,,,(i could go on and on) people on the road and it would not take long for the problem to be solved.

(Sorry had a real bad day out there today with some of the most idiotic drivers i have seen in awhile.)

rick.
FollowupID: 401008

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:10

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 00:10
NT had the lowest holiday period road toll - because they don't have speed limits!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 147706

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 16:03

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 16:03
MotherH it is just as obvious as when you look at the rear end of a male dog isn't it?

In Victoria you just stare at the speedo now as you pass schools immediatly after you check the
1 ) school holiday calendar dates and
2 )your watch -
3 )making sure if you are interstate -
3i )the daylight rules and
3ii )you did adjust your cars clock or your watch.

oh yes now I should be on 40kph, - oh now its 60, back to the unstated 50 is it? Oh Hell, what the f***

Heaven help any kid that does stray onto the road as you won't see it. Effin rediculous.

To think so say they don't speed. I bet they don't check their mirrors either, nor any other rules they are supposed to be following as the road authorities throw signs in front of you.
FollowupID: 401119

Follow Up By: Member- Rox (WA) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:10

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:10
JohnR (Vic)&Moses ,"In Victoria you just stare at the speedo now" can't agree more It seems we don't have time now to look at the road! we are taking our eyes off to look at the speedo instead of driving to the conditions.

I love the back country Rds I just drive to the conditions & rarely look at the speed. Getting back on the Main straight Rds I get sleepy.
FollowupID: 401253

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:18

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:18
Hi John R & Rox - so true: in WA we now have 50 km speed limit in built up areas - sort of an awkward "between gears" speed so you have to drive through town watching the speedo and hope the pedestrains dodge you, and that those little old ladies who pull out suddenly without looking aren't down the street when you are - quite crazy.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 401291

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 13:34

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 13:34
MotherH and Rox, we do have problems. I heard Nannies deputy this morning, State Minister Tim Holding, telling people how they will have four (4) new speed cameras each way on the Geelong - Melbourne road from January 30. It is a warning and they are there because of the deaths over the past 10 years he said.

H was immediatly followed by 'John' from Geelong who was aware of all the research - being ex-Vic Roads and refuted nearly all the Minister had said. John also said that the equivelent roads in Europe are carrying traffic most of the time at 130 kph which I can agree with too, incidently. The speed cameras will be set with minimal tolerance.

For those unaware, that particular road was upgraded only four years ago so any reference to any previous period is completely irrelevant. Heaps of Commonwealth money went into it - you paid!

We now will have to keep below stupidity level or pay additional fines. In his statement he identifies someone travelling at 178 kph and he referred to someone else at over 200kph. Is that the only speedsters they identify? Fine everyone minister........
FollowupID: 401315

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 18:01

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 18:01
Hi John R - Mmmmm - they gotta make us pay for the road some how! Annoys me how they say they only use the speed cameras in spots where there have been fatalities to save our lives - but i see them just outside of 60 signs where i am sure there have been no fatalities, just to catch us doing that tiny bit more speed as we come into or leave towns, not on the open road where all those white crosses draped in flowers are. Grrrrr

PS: for all the obvious feed back - don't speed and you want get caught - guess who's never had a speeding ticket herself.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 401366

Follow Up By: Member- Rox (WA) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 18:39

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 18:39
Motherhen, "PS: for all the obvious feed back - don't speed and you want get caught - guess who's never had a speeding ticket herself."

I have only 2 or 3 in 25 years driving but it doesn't change my opinion of what they're for. I remember in the OLD days (1980's) when you saw a cop car & slowed down, now days you find out you've been speeding 2 weeks later in the mail!
FollowupID: 401376

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:24

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:24
In 2004, there were 1,598 persons killed in 1,458 road crashes.
AnswerID: 147757

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:15

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:15
I think the first Rd fatality happened somewhere in Late 1890's when the speed traveled was < 10kph. If this is true (I think I herd correctly) We will always have Accidents/ deaths.
AnswerID: 147935

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 14:20

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 14:20
Reiner
I feel you rightly queried the statistics.

Leaving emotional issues aside, the very small numbers of people killed during short holiday periods is far too low to have any statistical significance.

There are certain to be quite substantial variations and these variations do not indicate any signicant trend if compared only from one year to another. The standard deviation (the probable variation) is huge. If there is a continuing rise over many years that is of course a different matter.

If road deaths are evaluated on number of cars on road, or total vehicle distance driven, there has been an ongoing fall for a long time.
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 148309

Follow Up By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 16:40

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 16:40
Thanks for your reply Collyn, we just get all sorts of numbers from the media and it all doesn't make sense anymore. Sometimes it feels like they think we all a bit stupid.
But such is life I guess. Hope you had a good Christmas and you're having fun with your new t-van :-)
cheers
Reiner
FollowupID: 401598

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 15:34

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 15:34
Reiner,

6.9 people killed per day over 13 days of X-mass.
4.3 people killed per day over the whole year (including X-mass)
i.e. 60% more deaths over x-mass

I think that is fairly significant, however I also agree that the whole "bigger fines for safety sake" is just something they feed the chooks while they take that money and go on a "study tour" to the greek islands with the family.

R.
AnswerID: 148328

Follow Up By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:12

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:12
More numbers, I guess it depends who you listen to. I wonder if there could be 60% more people on the road over Christmas or better 60% more kilometers driven.
Still doesn't sound like the Premier has to break up his holiday to come in for an emergency meeting. I think we get strung along a little here.
I agree they just keep feeding the chooks.... but they do forget sometimes the chooks go voting too.
Cheers
Reiner
FollowupID: 401611

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:31

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:31
That's right. I was in Brisbane briefly between X-mass and the New Year and it was like a ghost town (more so then usual). There was absolutely no traffic or people anywhere. Everybody left town. I reckon the number of km travelled over that period would be two to three times the norm.

R

p.s. i got the statistics from "Road Deaths Australia 2004 Statistical Summary" which I posted a link to above.
FollowupID: 401619

Sponsored Links