OZI Explorer

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 14:15
ThreadID: 29566 Views:3047 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm new to GPS and to learn I bought a Garmin etrex legend sec hand. I got a book too and learn my new Toy.
I was going to buy OZI Explorer to be able to upload maps and stuff. In our shop here I found this sentense in the discription of the software
" About the only thing OziExplorer can't do is - upload maps to a GPS or display mays in vector format."
I thought that is what OZI Explorer is for....... please help.

cheers
Reiner
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: signman - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 14:21

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 14:21
Correct- it can't upload 'maps' to the GPS but will upload any waypoints, routes, etc.
AnswerID: 147791

Reply By: zam045 - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 14:31

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 14:31
Yeah i am new to this as well, however, you are correct in that OziExplorer cannot upload maps to the GPS, but most other information such as waypoints, POI's etc you can.

If you want a map on your GPS you will have to get something like DiscoverAus, whish is mapping software for the GPSr, you should be able to use this in conjunction with OziExplorer.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 147794

Follow Up By: Member- Rox (WA) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 00:41

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 00:41
you can't run Dis aus & OZI EX on lap top at the same time. But you can use the Dis Aus Maps that are loaded in the GPS to see diff data than whats on the lap top. Hope this makes sense.

I use OSI EX in the bush & Discover Aus when in a foreign city.
FollowupID: 401246

Reply By: Pluto - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 14:33

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 14:33
OziExplorer is definately NOT for uploading maps to your GPSr. Have a look at the OziExplorer web site for an explanation and a detailed outline of what it can and can't do. The type of maps it handles are not compatible with your GPS.

It can be use with your GPS in 'Moving Map' mode where you use your computer as an extention to the GPS. It is also one of the best applications around, when it comes to managing GPS data (archiving & editing).
AnswerID: 147796

Reply By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 17:04

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 17:04
Reiner,
Just to add a bit to the thread. To use OziExplorer with a GPS you need to have a PC ( probably a laptop or even a PDA) into which you plug your GPS. OziExplorer then gets the information from the GPS and is then able to give your location on a map displayed on the computer screen, providing that map is of the area you are in and that it has been calibrated . It all gets a bit convoluted but essentially the GPS is used as a tool for OziExplorer, not the other way around. You could get coordinates from OziExplorer and feed them into your GPS if that is what you were thinking, but I'm not knowledgable enough with OziExplorer just yet to make any further comments.

Toolman
AnswerID: 147816

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 00:51

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 00:51
If you have Osi Ex all ready then why not go to the plotswap section and request a down load of someone else's trip, then copy it into your data folder then you can load it from file to see it on your map. You can also do this with way points.

in summary you can get data (track plots/ waypoints) of trips that you haven't been on yet & get with in 20m when you physically go there. Some one may have a bush camp spot or a hard to find turn off. As you travel & store your data you can swap/ trade/give it to other people. them in turn to you as well. Hope this makes sense.
AnswerID: 147932

Reply By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 08:46

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 08:46
Thanks for all your help, I think I have to learn some more stuff about GPS. The main problem I have is that the map on the etrex legend is very basic and it only has 8mb of memory. I would like to upload a map from south east queensland which I would love to be very detailed so I can find new tracks while on the bike.
I'm sure there is a way to upload better maps.
Thanks again :-)
cheers
Reiner
AnswerID: 147957

Sponsored Links