canning stock route travel times

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:52
ThreadID: 29584 Views:1925 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip up the canning in August 2006 on trail bikes with a landcruiser tray as a support vehicle. I am wanting to find out how long it takes to travel from Wiluna to Kunawarritji and then on to Bilaluna allowing some time to look around but still travelling for 5 to 6 hours per day.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 21:02
We did the CSR in 97 on Dirtbikes plus support and it took us 12 Days from Wiluna to Halls Creek. Back than you had to order petrol before leaving, in drums half way. Fantastic Trip. Take spare handlebars :-)
cheers
Reiner
AnswerID: 147882

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 15:44

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 15:44
We did it North to South in May '05.

Three bikes & two support vehicles.

We spent two weeks on the Canning. Left Billiluna on 11 May & Camped at Kunnawarritji at Well 33 on 15th May.

Arrived Willuna May 25th. But in the southern half had two rest days.

How many bikes - what sort & size? How many blokes?

We had 7 blokes - two 4wds & three bikes.

Another support vehicle would have been ideal. Supplies and fuel loads spread over two vehicles were not really enough.

You will not believe how much fuel, food, water & grog you have to carry. The latter is optional I suppose but who'd do the trip without a beer. We didn't carry excessive amounts and still ran out toward the south end.

Fully loaded we were carrying 600litres of fuel for the vehicles & bikes - and interestingly had we not topped up at Kunnawarritji (we took on about 80 litres from memory in the petrol GQ which we hadn't planned on) we wouldn't have made it to the planned fuel drop at the Well 23 dump.

Good communications & medivac plan are essential for the guys on the bikes too. I was medical support for our crew as well and went well prepared. A fractured femur out there could kill you before you get to an airstrip and it's not an uncommon injury for trail bike riders. (You can lose 2.5 ltrs of blood from one femur fracture without any leaking out!)

Dave
AnswerID: 148330

Sponsored Links