Undetectable radar/laser detectors

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 15:12
ThreadID: 29610 Views:2644 Replies:13 FollowUps:25
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone tried these?
Expensive, but if you do a lot of kms, would probably pay for itself.....

http://www.radarlaser.com.au/BelSTiAUNZ.htm

Cheers,
NUTS!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: greydemon - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 15:28

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 15:28
On the other hand, if you don't speed it will never save you a cent.

8-)
AnswerID: 148057

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 15:44

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 15:44
Right on
FollowupID: 401334

Follow Up By: Austravel - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 15:51

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 15:51
True and I don't agree with their use but there would not be a driver on the planet that hasn't sped whether on purpose or not.
FollowupID: 401337

Follow Up By: Member - John - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:32

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:32
greydemon, don't speed, yeh, right, try driving in real time with out inadvertantly speeding. Get real...................
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401339

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:32

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:32
dont agree with their use?
does that go for speed alerts?

if a radar detector reduces the speed of some one then that is a good thing is it not?...same as putting up signs to warn of red light and speed camera?
FollowupID: 401340

Follow Up By: SteveL - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:52

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:52
Don't speed ? Easy if you know what the limit is.Difficult if it changes 4 times in 500 metres.The 100k limit on the new Geelong Freeway is also a sick joke and now it has speed cameras all along it.There has been very few accidents since the road has re-opened and now they want to book you for 5ks over the limit.-Steve
FollowupID: 401345

Reply By: Matt (W.A.) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 15:58

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 15:58
My Father-in-Law! Is a Traffic Cop here in W.A. and if he pulls people over that have them (I used to have one) he treats it as pretty much an Admission of Guilt to speeding!!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Matt
AnswerID: 148066

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:19

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:19
My 2 cents worth is coppers are there to enforce the law not just make up ther own laws Rader detecters are perfectly legal to own and operate in WA and are no more an admission of guilt than A Stereo or back seat or any other perfectly legal thing you can have, What if the next copper reckons he is going to make his own law that you cant run BF Goodrich Tyres or whatever
FollowupID: 401354

Follow Up By: MikeyS - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:19

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:19
Precisely. The difference between a speed alert and a radar detector is that a speed alert tells you you are going too fast. If you have a need for a radar detector, you know you are going too fast, and it just tells you you are about to get caught! Just $%*king drive safely.
FollowupID: 401355

Follow Up By: MikeyS - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:23

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:23
Ah, Davoe, you pressed the button before me and changed the gist of my follow-up. Quicker on the draw. I disagree with you but agree with Matt's father-in-law's sentiment. I reckon having a radar detector is the same as having someone watch for cops while you rob a bank. Well, almost.
FollowupID: 401357

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:39

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:39
Not even close MikeyS Robbing banks is illegal as is aiding and abetting but radar detecers are not.
Having coppers make up laws is anarchy and too much of it goes on
BTW I have had no speeding fines for over 10 years so its not that I want to speed i just have a problem with coppers trying to make laws which isnt there job
FollowupID: 401362

Follow Up By: MikeyS - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 18:07

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 18:07
You're right. The website selling the detectors NissanNut is looking at sets out the laws and radar detectors aren't illegal in WA. And I guess they'd know since they say selling them in some other state is also illegal.They have been banned for years in Vic. And for clarity, I certainly agree with you about coppers making up laws. Cheers
FollowupID: 401367

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 18:16

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 18:16
Could well change soon with a proposed law including 2 grand fine likely to be introduced soon - but till then they are perfectly legal (In WA)
FollowupID: 401370

Follow Up By: warthog - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:53

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:53
They are illegal in Vic because they do not want to jeopardise the huge revenue they raise in that state. With the introduction of more and more fixed revenue cameras the widespread use of detectors would hurt their budget.
FollowupID: 401519

Follow Up By: Pluto - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:36

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:36
G'day Matt,

It was announced, last week, by the WA Police that radar detectors are going to be outlawed.

ABC News

FollowupID: 401882

Follow Up By: Matt (W.A.) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 21:31

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 21:31
Well at least it’s a definitive law there’ll be no chance for Coppers to make up their own laws over this one! If you have one you are nicked…….

Matt
FollowupID: 402197

Reply By: Ron173 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 15:58

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 15:58
G'day NissanNut,

take a look here 'n' tell me if your still interested?

http://www.australianradar.com.au/news.htm

Rgds

Ron
AnswerID: 148067

Reply By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:23

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:23
I do a lot of driving on the highway and have to date 3 tickets for exceeding the speed limit, that resulted from innacurate radars, lidars or just plain stupid use by the cop concerned. I was not exceeding the speed limit in any of the cases, and I was on cruise control with speed alert set. I now have my GPS running at all times and a log of the speed which I keep on PDA, maybe that will help me next time.

I also have a ticket for crossing a double white line. I was pulled up 35 kilometres later by a cop who didn't even witness the event, who said I was on a road I wasn't on, and who was told of the event by a speed camera operator who was more than 1000 metres from the event, and failed to obseve that I was almost t-boned by a car of the same colour but a different make, and it was my evasive action that put me across the line.

I am sorry to say that there are a few few cops out there who just make it plain hard for us all.
AnswerID: 148074

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:27

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:27
I think you will find that Radar Detectors are illegal in N.S.W. the rip off state.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 148087

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 19:44

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 19:44
Your absolutely correct there Dodger, They were banned long ago. Get caught with one in your car (connected or not) and you will be hammered legally.

End of story !!!!!
Its your choice ..... speed and get away with it today..all is fine.
Get pulled over and booked..and you hate yourself...too late.

Ange.
FollowupID: 401387

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:13

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:13
You got that one right, Rip Off State! (and I live in it... often wonder why I dont move!)

Ron
FollowupID: 401511

Reply By: revhead307 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:28

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:28
I have had radar detectors in my vehicles for about 5 years.

saved my bacon multiple times when i was young and stupid (ok...5 years younger and stupider lol) and single with a V8 hilux!!!

However, IMHO they are becoming more obselete all the time (yeah u can play the game and keep buying new $1000 units)

1) they are crap on speed camera's...give no warning (you can see the camera before hand most of the time anyway)

2) Cops use new tactics....eg leaving their radar off so u cant pick them up...the turning them on, and it doesnt give u enough response time....

probably 3/4 of traffic cops i drive past in WA dont have their radar on at the time.

3) they arent as effective on handheld and lasar units.

So...i rarely use mine now...and tend to stick more to the speed limit.

26 next week and im turning into an old man....sigh :-(

Rev

AnswerID: 148089

Follow Up By: NissanNut - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:35

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:35
Interesting feedback! thanks,
they are damn expensive, enough to put me off buying one. and yeah from the link i read that Ron posted, most cops use radar/laser in quick bursts so they dont trigger detectors....

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional...!

NUTS!
FollowupID: 401361

Reply By: NissanNut - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:30

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:30
Thanks all,
I HAVE read the signs and KNOW what the speed limits are. I'm not really interested if sit on 90 in a 100 zone, I wanted to know if anyone had used one of these detectors and with what degree of success.

We can all lie and say we have never gone over the designated speed limit in our life, which of course I never have either...! (bull5h1t) I dont agree with speeding, it belongs on a race track, but I'm the sucker you always see on the side of the road being booked for doing 102km/h when my cruise control was set on 100, and have never got off a single fine! (not for a lack of trying). Thanks for the link Ron, interesting read.

So, if anyone else can help me with the performance of these or other detectors please do so, otherwise keep your inflated moralistic ego's quite on this thread.

NUTS!
AnswerID: 148090

Follow Up By: Exploder - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 19:21

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 19:21
I know people with them (Bell Electronics Brand) and yes they do work.
FollowupID: 401383

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:04

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:04
Glad you found it interesting.

Not sure what state youre in, WA is different ball game altogether, but here in NSW its a big fine if caught with one.

(the fine for a detector is about 5 times a heavy speeding fine)

I've dabbled with them in the past, in fact still have one, but reckon too risky to use now, also technology is advancing so quickly, your playing constant electronic warfare with the police.

Difference is, their equipment has a never ending pool of taxpayers money for upgrades..... we dont.

Then again if it was legal like WA I'd prob run one.

Mine is a snooper, and in days of old, (ten years ago or more) used to work on basic radar quite good, then they invented laser, which it still detected, but if it picked up laser it was too late, you'd been zapped, your only hope would be that it was car in front he was aiming at.

have a good un,

Ron
FollowupID: 401508

Reply By: Zapper - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 19:27

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 19:27
I would stick to Valentine 1 if you are going to buy one, always were the best and in my opinion still are. The issue of undetectability has always been put forward by various manufacturers and I dont know if any truely are undetectible, I know the Bel detectors used to set off my V1 but the V1 didnt set them off so they were pretty detectible even though they were claiming undetectability.

After years of using my detector legally in WA I think I will have to retire it soon, the NAZIS aka Michelle Roberts - Minister for police in WA is planning on legislating to make them illegal. No mention of compensating owners for them - even though they allowed them to be sold and their government happily collected import duty and sales tax on them for years while they were being sold. I would have thought rampant numbers of break ins, bashings, car theft, bag snatching etc etc would be more important than radar detectors. Detectors are banned in other states but suprise suprise they still had high numbers of fatalities on the road at Xmas, higher than WA. If they were serious about road deaths they would stop hiding patrol cars and cameras behind bushes at the bottom of hills and right next to where the limit changes down and get all the police on the road and have a much larger VISIBLE presence and use fixed cameras in black spots along with making all drivers qualify for a truck license to get their car licence so that they have an understanding of speed and braking distances.

Thats my winge out of the way.........
AnswerID: 148124

Follow Up By: Davo - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 22:36

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 22:36
Zapper,
I too, have been using a V1 for a while now, and they are an excellent unit.
The original question was regarding radar detectors. As far as I know, WA is now the only state in which thay are legal, and soon to be illegal.
I think from memory that www.radarradar.com.au has some interesting information on them, and one particularly interesting observation that NSW Police are actually using hybrid radar detectors to detect the "undetectable" radar detectors. I used mine in NSW, and it gave me enough warning for radar traps that I had enough time to pull it off the windscreen and stash it before even getting close to the Police/Radar trap.
Granted, also now that I am older and wisr, I have learnt that you gain more mileage, if that's what ypu''re after by putting in a long-rangw tank and sitting exactly on 110km/h, since anything above that burns way more fuel (vehicle dependent, of course).
So - in summary, and for my own two cents worth, I still use it, and it saves me from those stupid 8km/h speed busts.
Anyone who says they don't speed is fibbing - we ALL have done it, some totally without intent, or knowledge, but of course, the argument to that excuse is that as drivers, it is our penultimate repsonsibility to be ever vigilant, and if in doubt, resort to the 60km/h, or 50km/h limit if in a built-up area.
Buy one while you can.

Cheers,
Dave
FollowupID: 401439

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 23:18

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 23:18
I am against speeding, tho I did plenty of it as a young fella.

I was astounded that the QLD government is looking at raising fines yet again after the spate of deaths over Xmas. It amazed me because there hadn't any probably won't be any real investigation into what casued a lot of the accidents. I'd bet speeding wasn't a big player. One I know had a 16 year old unlicensed driver driving long long hours.

I recon better education is the key. As a pilot and a flying instuctor, I think drivers licences are way to easy to get.
FollowupID: 401452

Follow Up By: hazo - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 08:38

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 08:38
davo Slightly off thread ,but as well as my 4by, I also own a rather large m/bike, yammy roadstar 1600, the other day i was poodling along minding my own business, being a little wary of the speed limit on this particular road, 60 or 70 so did the right thing in my opinion and slowed down to 62/3ish and got pulled and reprimanded for "impeding the trafic flow" he was good enough to not ticket me though!!!!!
But gave me a free licence check etc. pity they dont get on with real police work eh?
brian wa
FollowupID: 401478

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 09:28

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 09:28
G'day David O,

Was reading an article l recently that said that something like 60% of accidents were caused by road conditions. Now this didn't totally surprise me so I find it an interesting discussion we are having here because the reason (supposedly) we have these radars in the first place is to reduce fatalities. Now, I reckon if the authorities were half smart they could work out that a guy with a detector will slow down in that "black spot" when the radar is operating and potentially save another life - job done!

But off course one could suggest that this may not be about saving lives after all.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 401488

Reply By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 08:25

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 08:25
I know speeding is illegal, and in a 4WD I do less of it, but before people get on their horse about this topic I suggest they get rid of their selective memories, I am sure everyone here has got behind the wheel of a powerful car at some stage before, and felt the temptation to put the foot down, even if it was only a quick foray on to the wrong side of the law before calming down again. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".
AnswerID: 148230

Reply By: apwaddo - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 08:34

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 08:34
I used to use a detector (can't remeber the make) and got pulled over by a officer of the law who just happened to see it on the dash as he went past in the opposite direction (we were in a built up area at the time and it wasn't even turned on). Result 'on the spot' fine of $1200 and loss of 3 points (NSW). So its really irrelevant if they are detectable or not!!
AnswerID: 148232

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 08:46

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 08:46
Good point, but many of the new stealth models of course don;t sit on the dash but can be incorporated into mirrors etc
FollowupID: 401482

Reply By: govo - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:55

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:55
l bet that if there was a radar detector on the market that was made to look like a packet of ciggy's and picked up every known type of radar and cost $10 everybody would own one...even all the dogooders.
AnswerID: 148269

Reply By: Paul - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 13:32

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 13:32
When I got my Patrol I took it for a drive and noticed the GPS said I was doing 105k's but the Speedo said I was doing 100k's

Much arguing with Mr Nissan resulted to nothing as it was with in spec.

Trip to Jaycar....$50 Speedo corrector kit.

I added 15% so now my speedo reads 10% faster

I know now when my speedo says 120.....really I'm doing 108-110.

Didn't tell the lead foot wife so it saves my back pocket.
AnswerID: 148291

Reply By: NissanNut - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 16:52

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 16:52
Thanks again all, some interesting stories.....

My 80series uses too much fuel if I speed so I dont do it, its the 50 to 80 km/h zones where ive had the most trouble in the past.

Motorbikes are the biggest worry, they are just soooo easy to speed on. I got booked once on my old GSXR1100 after taking evasive action, the car next to me started to move into my lane when I was riding right next to his front door, so I swerved and gunned it just enought to get infront of his bonnet then dropped back down to 60 straight away. 100m down the road got pulled over and booked for doing 6km/h over the limit. Another time cresting a hill, on a bike you dont want your eyes to be anywhere but on the road infront of you as you go over the crest, just in case. My speed crept up a tad as i wasnt backing off the throttle quick enough and a patrol car went past right on the crest, turned around and booked me for doing 103 in a 100 zone!

These are just a couple of examples from my days of riding bikes..... I'm not an arrogant person and have never been a smartass when pulled over but cops must see a sign on my head that says: 'roll me hard'.

Anyway, Thanks for all the responses, youve opened my eyes somewhat.

Cheers
NUTS!
AnswerID: 148356

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 08:13

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 08:13
Yep it's those constant changing speed zones that are my worry.
When crossing the mountains via Katoomba in the rip off state you are never sure whar speed zone one is in. When there is a lot of traffic one tends to go with the flow with concentration mainly on the driving not the speed limit and I have often found that I am doing 70k in a 60k limit without realising that I have come out of an 80k limit. If you get the drift.
One word..... BUGGER..
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401724

Sponsored Links