old man emu

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 19:12
ThreadID: 29624 Views:2737 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi ya all,
I own a 78series troopie, are wanting to get suspenion in the next couple weeks, its up in the air what make to get? My troopie has standard suspenion at the moment, which has sagged alot as its got all the gear fitted. Ill also be doing alot of towing a camper trailler with it on a trip around oz, with half the time spent off road.

Im hoping to get suspenion that will give me a little more lift over standard new suspenion, but also rides well when im not towing. Is it worth fitting air bags in the rear as well?

Ive had a orsm quote for ome to be fitted from arb in ozy park, Im just wanting your opinion on which way to go, and if anyone has had any dramas or the likes with old man emu, or any other make.

Im open for suggestions.

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 20:01

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 20:01
If you want Try WA suspensions in Ozy park, we have had 2 car’s done by them and have had excellent service both times.

They were not pushy and didn’t try to sell you stuff you didn’t need/ want.

Even just as a price comparison, they deal in Lovells and KONI mostly so they are quality products.

AnswerID: 148127

Reply By: macy - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 21:39

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 21:39
we have a HZJ79 that had the same problem, great ride empty but saged when even lightly loaded. We had a HZJ75 before that we had put heavier springs on but the ride was very harsh and lost articulation, so we went for the heavy air springs "firestone rite rite" they are like bellows have been on no problems for over three years, and less than aspring upgrade.
cheers mackie
AnswerID: 148168

Reply By: BenSpoon - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 22:20

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 22:20
Had a 45 troopy with OME nitrocharger shocks and OME springs. You could tell how fast you were going from the harshness of the bumps on an asphalt road thru the seat. It never sagged, even with 8 people in the back- actually that was the smoothest ride it had... It was just a pain that everything I mounted in it shook to pieces.
AnswerID: 148182

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 22:44

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 22:44
If you go to the Troopyoz yahoo forum and search on OME you will have your answer. My 78 is being fitted with OME as we speak.

troopyoz

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 148194

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 23:41

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 23:41
Have ome in the lux since 91 (89 model) original springs sagged in that time, am getting the same put back in again as we speak. Love it went for the 2 inch lift same again same shocks again nitro charged, and my'n is solid front end was worried I would need a kidney belt but is great, would recomend to any one.Lux has been around oz twice and now has 280k on it and just starting to sag in the front end. Extra leafs were put in the back in 91 to carry the extra weight. If I ever update this one I will be fitting it to the new one as well. Thats only my opinion any way for a hilux. Take care and enjoy your trip when you do go be safe. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 148216

Reply By: lost - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 00:59

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 00:59
Thanks to all of you's for your replys,
I think Ill stick to what I know and go the ome, as most reports of it are good

thanks
AnswerID: 148222

Reply By: Stoo - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 07:08

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 07:08
Their springs are great, particularly the leaves. I have a troopy with OME heavy coils in the front and 30mm coil spacers and OME Dakar leaves in the back. I think they are the heaviest set, something like +800kg constant? Much better ride in the back and they sit pretty high too. The leaf pack is much thinner than the overbuilt factory jobs so you may run out of thread on your u-bolts, I put a few extra washers in. The ARB greasable shackles are great too. Their shocks were good but too short for my current setup so I went with Rancho in the front.
AnswerID: 148225

Reply By: Ron173 - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 09:26

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 09:26
I have the full OME kit which gave me a 50mm lift. (navara)

Springs ok, runs better with more load on, although I had one pack replaced as it was lower than other one, early on.

Shockers, cant say I'm over impressed, just had one go at 16000km. Was replaced on warranty, but IMHO shouldnt have failed in first place.

Springs are for life of vehicle and seem good, but I wouldnt buy OME shocks again.

Rgds

Ron
AnswerID: 148246

Reply By: Deanna & Bevan (WA) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 13:25

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 13:25
Hi Lost, we had old man emu put on our Patrol to do the Canning Stock Route last August, the front ones we had no trouble with however the bushes wore out on the back ones, we have had no other problems with them and they give us a good comfortable ride on either bitumen or gravel roads. We had no trouble having the back ones replaced on our return to ARB even though we had replaced the bushes.
The Canning was extremely rough so accepted our fate there, another vehicle we were with did in four shockies within fifteen minutes but they were not OME.

Cheers

Bevan and Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 148288

Sponsored Links