Submitted: Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 14:41
ThreadID: 29660 Views:2222 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
This is my first posting. I am looking for some ideas
I am planning to hit the road possibly next year for an indefinite period. I’ve been looking at options for travel.
I am a mature age female and will be traveling solo possibly with my dog.
I currently own a Subaru Forester 2003. I am not intending to do 4 wheel driving.
The options I have considered are a selling the Subaru and
• buying a camper van
• or ute and a slide-on
or keeping the Subaru and getting a small van like a teardrop or an A-van.
I don’t need any bathroom facilities. I would rather use public or camping ground ones.
I would be interested to hear from your experience what you would suggest.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 15:01

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 15:01
Ah, the answer to the meaning of lfe.

It all depends on what you will doing on your travels.

In general I would recommend to a single female, that the least amount of assembling and hitching the better. A small camper van with a pop top would likely give you the least amount of trouble. With a small shade on the side it would be pretty comfortable for one + small dog.

A unit like this would travel easily and be fairly fuel economic.

After that the world of Caravan and Camping is out there and a visit to a local C&C Show would be well worth the effort.

Regards
Russell
AnswerID: 148316

Reply By: Member - David 0- Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 15:13

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 15:13
Slightly off topic but may be worth looking into. I think something like the A van would be great, except, ......do those aerodynamics (or lack therof) cause excessive fuel consumption. Doesn't seem the most aero design out there.
AnswerID: 148320

Follow Up By: Alex H - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:36

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:36
I assume you are aware they fold down for travelling and when you are towing they look very like a camper trailer with a solid top...
FollowupID: 401623

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:40

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:40
The one I saw was an A shape and did not appear to fold down. It was being towed at the time. Maybe the guy towing it didn't know it folded down. I sure didn't because I just saw it being towed along, and assumed he knew what he was doing
FollowupID: 401626

Reply By: cuffs - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 15:20

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 15:20
Try http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers/ very experienced ppl on this site you will find an answer.
AnswerID: 148322

Reply By: Browser - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 15:26

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 15:26
Hi Gerri,

I'm sure you will have a great trip and get to meet plenty of wonderful people and have lots of great experiences along the way. The thought of doing just what you are planning is a regular thought of mine. One day I will actually get to do it!!!

One consideration if you do go with the van option you need to be aware that the maximum towing capacity of the Forester is 1,400kgs when towing a camper with brakes and only 700kgs when the camper is not fitted with brakes. Refer the Subaru Forester website. Even something like a standard Jayco 12 foot camper van weighs in at around 900kgs and add another 100kgs if you go with their heavier duty "offroad" models. I would imagine other manufacturers vans would weigh in at something similar. By the time you have all your gear packed away I think you will find that you will be getting pretty close to the Foresters limit.

Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be the best option for you and I am green with envy!!!!!

happy travels,

Browser
AnswerID: 148324

Reply By: Trev88 - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 16:45

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 16:45
First question is

Where have you been all my life, I mean a woman who does not need a traveling ensuite, Im in love. LOL

But if you want to travel by yourself and still have some of the comforts of a bed, some where to sit when it's raining ect then check out a second hand on road camper (tent on a trailer) your subaru will tow it any where you want to go. Expect to pay as low as $2k to $3k for a real basic one with a few years on it or you can pick on up around $5k new then you push the price up with options
(kitchen etc)

I would avoid a onboard set up if you intend to do some touring from a base. Otherwise you are chewing up fuel just to go sight seeing.

TM2CW

Trev
AnswerID: 148350

Follow Up By: howie - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 20:25

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 20:25
sounds like my type of woman too - please send picture of dog.

(sorry , old joke )
FollowupID: 401660

Reply By: Member - Marilyn P (NSW) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 16:51

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 16:51
Dear Gerri,
Well done. Once you are out there you won't want to go home.
I drive a 75 series Troopie with all the gear in the back including an Oztent RV2. Everthing is so easy to set up and dismantle. With this set up I've been able to go anywhere the nose points.
After a while as you become more confident there will be lots of roads/tracks/places you might like to drive to but feel restricted by the Subaru.
Have fun and let your adventure begin.
Marilyn
AnswerID: 148355

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 19:57

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 19:57
Campervan all the way. I bought a Nissan 1978 campervan off the side of the road for2 1/2 grand and probably spent another 500 or so putting a 5 speed and good service/brakes. Heaps of storage (enough for me to live in it a couple of times) and drove it to just about every fishing spot between Adelaide and Esperance at least once. Took it 1/2 way round oz and it was still rattling along just fine when i sold it 5 years later. NOTHING beats the convenience of a camper van coz you dont set up camp. Drive til your tired then 10 sec later you are in bed - Wanna cook? just light the stove. You can camp many places you wouldnt normally get away with such as Pub carparks, Information bays in the middle of town, Out the front of jetties
AnswerID: 148398

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 20:01

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 20:01
Hi Gerri
I would be reluctant to sell your vehicle...it's late model, capable and most likely reliable. My suggestion would be to go for a light weight trailer with fold out tent. Your outlay will be modest. The problem for you at present is that you don't yet fully understand what will and wont work for you and what you are prepared to put up with as a compromise. My advice is to try and keep your weight to a minmum...large is generally more comfortable but comes at a cost. Perhaps you could hire a trailer/van for a couple of weeks to try out?? What ever you decide in the end will not really matter cos you have already made the best decision and that's to get out there. Happy travels and enjoy.
AnswerID: 148400

Reply By: Nav 8 - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 20:07

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 20:07
Gday Gerri,,, If you are thinking of staying in caravan parks or national parks traveling with a dog can be a huge problem . National parks wont allow them full stop and most caravan parks with the exception of a few ban them. Some caravan parks that do allow dogs will put you right up the back blocks away from everyone else, a dog can be a real problem if you plan to stick to the populated areas.
Regards Nav.
AnswerID: 148405

Reply By: gerri - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 21:12

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 21:12
Thanks for all the replies. You have given me a lot to think about! I will keep you up to date with my decisions/ plans
Gerri
AnswerID: 148427

Sponsored Links