chescold problem

Submitted: Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 15:28
ThreadID: 29663 Views:2249 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
here is my little problem I was travelling in Tazzie when my chescold fridge stopped working.

The first thing that I did was to invert it and try and get the liquid moving to free up the gas. After that diodn't work I then tapped all the pipes with a rubber mallet.

I had it in the back when I went offroading(just in case it decided to work) Alas it still refuses to go.

Have I missed something or is this fridge dead. I used to take it everywhere, it was a damn fine fridge.

Thanks in advance to all who give advice

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David 0- Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 16:44

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 16:44
Usually a blocked jet or partially blocked jet. Easy to remove and clean
AnswerID: 148349

Reply By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 16:46

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 16:46
I had one of them and it stopped working when the thermostat went. plug it in and see if the pipes in the back get hot. Try 240 and 12 volt later.... if that doesnt work see what it does on gas.

Reiner
PS nothing worse than warm beer after a hard day at the wheels :-)
AnswerID: 148351

Follow Up By: kesh - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:53

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:53
Reiner, most shearers I know dont mind a warm beer, ok, better if the cook's good natured enough to let you plant a couple in the fridge, but eh, a bloke can wake up needing a snort and its easy enough to just reach under the bed, so to speak.
Topshearer, I would (from experience) give the fridge a good rolling about. They are pretty durable, and if after that and there is a good gas flame, the unit is pretty level but still no go, would reckon an alternative should be considered. Repairs dont come cheap.
kesh
FollowupID: 401628

Reply By: greybeard - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:26

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:26
are the 'working's at the rear heating up at all? ( under gas, 12/240v ).
if they are then try leaving the fridge inverted for a couple of days.
Mine stopped working at one stage when i had it on gas at to great an angle. i think you end up woth crystals in the coolant. By leaving it inverted for a couple of days it appears to have dissolved ( or partially disolved ) them enought for it to start working again.
there are also some places around that will service/repair them.
good luck.
AnswerID: 148359

Reply By: Darian (formerly Banjo) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:33

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:33
I would try.......
1. Looking at the front of it, roll it over sideways, left and right - a few times. The fluid should be heard gurgling to and fro.
2. Get it perfectly level (not necessary when mobile - only when static).
3. Run it on gas or 240 - if there is plenty of heat at the top of the flue (too hot to leave your hand flat on the case).......... it must be the fluid circuit.
I'm stumped from thereon.
IMO. the 12 V is only for maintenance of chill while mobile (energy from the alternator) - too thirsty on battery amps while static, and poor on chilling anyway, for use at other times.
Our Chesty was good but its gone now - different travel formula, so we swapped to a Waeco CF60. One consolation - it's not going to cost much for a new chinese 3 way !
AnswerID: 148361

Reply By: russ36 - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 22:25

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 22:25
i too have trouble getting any sort of positive result from my chescold. soon after i purchased it i noticed the lid had warped to the point where it wouldnt seal, leaving very serious gaps for cold air to escape, chescold recomended a repairer/agent who refused to admit there was anything wrong with it. i watched as he tried to slip a piece of paper between the seal and fridge top to test for gaps. and as he did so i could see that he was trying to pretend the paper was jamming as if it was sealed well. it was a ridiculous attempt to fool me when i could plainly see a 3mm gap where air could freely pass. then in an attempt to prove the lid was seriously bent, i asked him to hold a straight edge against the fridge lid. all he could say was, "i dont have one".... if most of us can glance around the room we now sit in and find a piece of something straight that could serve as a straight edge, then a refridgeration mechanic/authorised service agent could surely do the same within his workshop... its as if he were concerned about having to buy me another fridge with his own money.....people talk, bad news travels fast, visitors to my house can only assume that chescold fridges make great benches for storeing old tins of paint,nuts and bolts etc
AnswerID: 148442

Follow Up By: Darian (formerly Banjo) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 09:46

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 09:46
That sound like only the start of the story Russ - when do you pick up the new, free lid ?
FollowupID: 401740

Reply By: dags666 - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 19:49

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 19:49
had trouble with a mate who had the same promlem pulled the back of it and where the pilot is the wasps had built a nest in the hole cleaned it out and away it went ,seen it a few times might even be any sort of insect so when we get home we tape up the openings or before we go give them a shot with some compresed air and blow em out , hope you get it going . dags
AnswerID: 148571

Sponsored Links