Gas bottle storage

Submitted: Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 20:03
ThreadID: 29671 Views:5457 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all Happy N/year
Can anyone one advise of possible legal dramas. If I was to store gas bottle on roof racks while traveling? do the relavant bodies frown on this method of storage is it legal? it seems to be safer than in the cabin? any feedback would be great.
Cheers Skip
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 20:14

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 20:14
Illegal in Victoria!
AnswerID: 148409

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 22:54

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 22:54
I know it doesn't mean it legal..........but if you check out Vic Widman's rig (100 series Cruiser), he always carries his 9kg gas bottle on top. For those who don't know who he is, Vic is the owner/operator of Great Divide Tours; one of the country's most respected tag-along tour companies, for whom Wayne NSW works.

It would certainly be safer to have it solidly-mounted on the roof rack than inside the cabin; that's for sure!!!!!! I often carry my gas bottle on the roof rack in a milk crate and ensure the whole thing is securely strapped down with rachet strap and occy straps etc.
AnswerID: 148445

Follow Up By: burnsy - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 11:56

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 11:56
G/day Roachie I noticed on your reply that you mentioned that you often carry your gas bottle in a milk crate.
This being plastic can generate static electricity,I too used a milk crate but being made aware of this issue I figure that my good luck is used up & now just tie my bottle to the roof rack with no plastic crate.
FollowupID: 401751

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 22:03

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 22:03
I queeried the static elec thingy with my local Supa Gas guy as I always carry my 9kg in a black plastic crate and had heard the same rumour. He says if being encapsulated in plastic can generates dangerous static electricity, why do most of the gas retailers/wholesalers supply & recommend their gas bottles remain in the plastic expanded mesh. I guess the static is only dangerous if the bottle is leaking, by handling the bottle and crate when setting up camp, you should have discharged all of the static before you are even ready to open the valve.
FollowupID: 401820

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 23:58

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 23:58
Spent some time the other day looking at Off Road Campers.

One make had two models with the jerry cans and gas bottle in the tool box in the front. Apparently there are moves a foot in Vic to ban storage of fuels on the outside perimeter of trailers & vans. Something to do with collision risks.

I haven't heard any more. Someone here may have.

Dave
AnswerID: 148460

Reply By: Bilbo - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 00:19

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 00:19
This type of nonsensenical legislation staggers me.

How many people have been killed. maimed or burnt by a 9 kg gas bottle exploding as a result of a collision? Name me one.

These "shiny asses" sit in positions of pwer thinking up this crap just to justify them having the job in the first place.

While we're at it, lets ban "B Doubles" carrying 55 tonnes of LPG - ya know the ones, the Kleenheat Tankers. Now there's a real problem.

Let's ban all flammable goods vehicles eh? Petrol tankers' diesel tankers, lube oil tankers, bitumen tankers, explosive carriers, chemical trucks, acid trucks etc, etc.

Have you noticed that they only pick on the little guy that can't fight back through a political lobby?

Bilbo
AnswerID: 148464

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 08:14

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 08:14
Bilbo,
The only incidents I've ever seen on the tele' news etc are ones where some poor mongrel has just filled up a 9kg and is carrying it inside the car to get home.......BANG (spark from an interior light etc).

You're dead right...........I've never heard of anybody being killed or injured from a small domestic gas cylinder exploding after a bingle.

Sorry to say that common sense ain't so bloody common anymore!!!!! ;-((
FollowupID: 401725

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 10:25

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 10:25
Exactly.

I've worked with LGP for 35 years and carrying one INISIDE a car or other unventilated enclosure is potentially deadly. You can throw a gas bottle up in the air and watch it bounce and it won't split. But a leaking one INSIDE a vehicle - well............"Goodnight Nurse".

Bilbo
FollowupID: 401742

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 11:26

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 11:26
Gas bottle exploding after a bingle hey.. well I gues I know wher eI would like it to be if it is going to explode.. much prefer exploding gas cylcender on my roof trather than one in the confines of the cabin.. think about.. even a leaking gas bottle isn't going to explode on the roof unless it's in your garage... say it's leaking.. and said static from said milk crate casues small spark.. leaking gas at say 60km's an hr is barley going to be dense enough to light let alon explode... standing still and it's leaking.. sure maybe a low risk but thats why the stuff smells... if it's leaking and it;s in the cab.. then goodnight.. you are either going to blow up or fall asleep for ever.. I for one will never put a gas bottle into an enclosed space... milk crate on the roof forever fo rme.. risk there is farless than risk posed by putting it in the cab.. the yachties have got it all ove rus here.. gas bottles are manditory to be stored outside the cab and any fittings are mandated to be installed by qualified gas fitter.. same goes for caravans and trailers.. there is a reason why gas fitters are a trade...
FollowupID: 402058

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 11:59

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 11:59
On my previous vehicle, the G60, I made bracket up above the spare wheel carrier to which I fitted a 10lt paint tin and fitted the 4kg gasbottle inside. It was safe and out of the way, unless, that is, you are hit from behind by a Road Train lol

Now I have 2 x 2kg gasbottles which fit inside the back of my bush trailer
AnswerID: 148511

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 16:54

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 16:54
Hi All,

I saw a traytop ute with a 4kg(?) bottle mounted under the tray between cabin and L rear wheel ( where a rope box might go). Looked ok but exposed to the elements the same as on drawbar of a caravan. Legalities I don't know but I guess not much different to an LPG tank under a vehicle either. Some one might correct me.
Wisey
AnswerID: 149167

Sponsored Links