canning stock route journey

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 20:00
ThreadID: 29696 Views:2683 Replies:9 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys
I am reading a book on the history of the Canning stock Route and i realywant to do the trip which is 2 o 3 weeks of hard 4wd i have the vehicle to do this trip but i want to do it with a 4wd off road camper trailer fully equiped to do the 3 week trip or more .
My question is has some person done the trip with a camper trailer of any sort have they had a lot of problems
if you have a smart coment dont post
snailbait
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 20:55

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 20:55
Plenty have done it with camper trailers, commonsense would tell you that it would need to be as strong & as well prepared as the tow vehicle. If it leaf sprung make sure you carry a spare spring assembly, greasable shackle pins would be preferable & so would the fitment of shock absorbers.
There will be times when you may need a snatch to get over some dunes, but take it & enjoy the trip!
AnswerID: 148583

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 20:56

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 20:56
In fact, if you buy the 3 DVD set available in the Exploroz Shop, you will see that a couple of the vehicles were towing camper trailers.
FollowupID: 401813

Follow Up By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 18:52

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 18:52
hi shaker
thanks for your responce
snailbait

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401958

Reply By: desert - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 20:57

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 20:57
Not trying to be a smart arse, but this question often arises and the advice is always - Don't take the bloody trailer! The CSR is one of the harder treks that the average Joe blow is ever going to atte,pt, so why stuff it up for your self, by putting yourself at an extreme disadvantage from the start, by trying to drag a sand anchor along with you? The amount of grief that some people have due to Trailers is not worth the hassle. Secondly, those with trailers DO damage to the dunes and stuff it up for the next bloke following. It is bad enough having mechanical problems with a vehicle on it's own, let alone doubleing your chance of trouble with a trailer. And it's not always the trailer that suffers, because it loads the towing vehicle so much more that everything is taxed that much more. Cooling systems, clutches, suspensions, all cop more loads. Then if you do need recovery, it's twice the hassle for somebody to help. twice as expensive to recovery, for what? To say you've driven the CSR? Leave the trailer and enjoy it much more stress free!
AnswerID: 148586

Follow Up By: Ken - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 22:50

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 22:50
Desert, I totally agree with you. The flack will fly no doubt but why people insist on taking campers on some of the hardest trips this country has amazes me. Prime to spoil their's and other people's trips I reckon. Towing anything puts extra load on vehicles and contributes to ripping up tracks. The forum is full of people asking questions on taking trailers to places they know nothing about . Those encouraging them 'give it a go' are irresponsible in my view as they know little about the info seeker, his vehicle, experience or preparations and just possibly time may have dimmed their memory of some difficult days that with the passage of time may now not seem all that bad. A 3 week Canning trip is a wonderful experience but withthe amount of food and fuel you need why would you add a blasted trailer to it !

Ken
FollowupID: 401825

Follow Up By: Billowaggi - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 22:54

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 22:54
Hi ,I could not agree more I have travelled the Canning four times [without a trailer] and had a great time each trip. As said above you do not need the extra hassels and it damages the dunes.
Regards Ken.
FollowupID: 401826

Follow Up By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 18:58

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 18:58
hi desert
thanks for your concernes about the dunes so why do u go over them
snailbait

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401959

Follow Up By: desert - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:02

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:02
For the same reason as the chicken crossing the road!
FollowupID: 402065

Follow Up By: Billowaggi - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 23:22

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 23:22
As someone else said the dunes run east, west'ish and you will be travelling north, south'ish as they run in pretty well unbrocken lines you need to drive over them. To drive around the end of each dune set will make for a very long trip.
Regards Ken.
FollowupID: 402211

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 21:00

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 21:00
there was a recent post on this 29468

good dvd in the shop
AnswerID: 148588

Reply By: Member - Michael- Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 22:20

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 22:20
Snailbait
Leave the trailer behind, sure there are those that have done it, but towing a trailer will double your chances of problems, also acess with trailers is restricted at the Wiluna end of the CSR.
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 148603

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:13

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:13
A few points.

I was there in May 2005. Did it with two 4wds and 3 bikes.

I wouldn't tow a trailer up or down it for many reasons - some of them mentioned above and in other posts. Do a search - if there aren't a dozen posts on this I'll go he.

Another crew travelling north that we came across had done an axle on a trailer they were towing and I believe they encountered other problems further north. Now to qualify that point I don't think the trailer they were towing was appropriate but it cost them several days and a round trip to Kalgoorlie from Pierre Springs for a replacement axle the first time, and I believe they were last heard of getting trailer parts flown in to Kunnawarritji. Not a cheap trip - not to mention the delays and the extra delays placing added demands on food supplies.

The sign on the Kunnawarritji office window reads as follows:
Vehicle recovery from Kunnawarritji to Port Hedland
$5000 inc GST
50% up front deposit

That's to get the vehicle out of Kunnawarritji - not from where ever it broke on the Canning to Kunnawarritji and then to Port Hedland.

This is extremely remote country and at times the terrain is harsh. IF it breaks, and maybe in some cases IF could be WHEN, it's going to cost you nearly $10,000 for the recovery and repair attempt. IF you can find someone to do it.

The added stress on the tow vehicle increases the chance of problems with the vehicle even with the best setup.

It is already a tall order to carry enough food, fuel & equipment to undertake the trip. The additional fuel load is difficult to calculate as setups vary. If you under calculate you are STUFFED. If you get it right you are probably at a very rough guess going to need to carry half as much fuel again.

That means leaving Billiluna or Willuna with something like 300-330 litres of fuel and taking on a similar amount ($2.25/ltr in May '05) at the half way mark.

It's a great trip. But don't underestimate it by even one tiny little bit, it could cost you a lot of time, money and risk.

Dave
AnswerID: 148627

Follow Up By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:11

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:11
hi
thanks for your coments
the trailer i was thinking of is full off road super duper heavy duty camper trailer which is all but
snailbait

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401961

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 02:06

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 02:06
snailbait,
go to

www.direct4wd.com.au

and have a look around, & specifically at the article on trailers....

FWIW, I towed a tandem-axle c/t N>S down the CSR in June/July '05 without difficulty, and I absolutely guarantee that I most definitely DID NOT "stuff up the track for the next bloke following".....
In fact, we had comments made to us by other travellers who had caught up with us from behind (we were in no hurry) on how much easier it was for them after the (3) trailers had "rolled" the sand....

vehicle.. '99 GU Patrol TD42T
tyre pressures... 10-12psi (front), 14-16psi (rear), 8psi (trailer)....
Needed a second attempt (after adjusting t/pressure) at 2 (TWO) of the sandhills north of well 41.... Found low-range 2nd. to offer the best combination of power, and ability to maintain momentum (NOT SPEED!!).... At no time did I even consider the "Run-ups" that too many ppl seem to think are necessary....

On the issue of track damage... We saw LOTS and LOTS of evidence of LOTS and LOTS of vehicles (which were NOT towing) doing LOTS and LOTS MORE damage than we did, simply because they insist on charging at the dunes without reducing tyre pressures.... The reason they CAN'T reduce their tyre pressures enough is because they are carrying too much bl@@dy weight!!!! These are the same folk who drive too fast over the corrugations (again, on too-high tyre pressures), in the process making these worse all the time as well as destroying their suspension......

The reason I choose to tow is specifically so that I can keep the vehicle weight to the minimum possible, which in turn allows me to run LOW TYRE PRESSURES when necessary, and it WILL be necessary on the CSR (whether you choose to tow or not!!)....

Make of this what you will......

Regards,
Ed. C.

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 148665

Follow Up By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:05

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:05
ed.c
thanks for your real coments i do apreaceats your comments and i do think that the latest trailers do les damage
snailbait

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401960

Reply By: Chris Drew - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 08:25

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 08:25
snailbait,

Last July I travelled the CSR in a group of three vehicles. We travelled from Newcastle to Halls Creek via Tanami, down the track to Wiluna and back across the Gunbarrel to the centre. As long as you take the CSR at a leisurely pace (3 weeks from end to end) and your gear is in good condition there is no reason why you cannot take a solid trailer. There are many discarded trailers along the route, evidence that if something goes wrong you just have to leave it behind.

Of the 1,000 sand dunes there are a few that are long, high and have deep soft sand. Invariably even for the most experienced 4WD'er there will be some sandhills that will need a second run up. To reverse down these for a second go is easy for a single vehicle, but would be very difficult with a trailer.

My choice would be to leave the trailer at home and take a tent. Also go with at least one other vehicle.

Chris.
AnswerID: 148684

Follow Up By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:20

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:20
hi chris
thanks for your words chris i am thinking but did not have the time to do the cannining in the respect it deserverds in previous years this is the last long distance trek in Australia i will do it with the respect it deserve
snailbait

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401962

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:21

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:21
Snailbait ,

I know you said no smart answers , but ............... I think a camper trailer will make it but I don't know about the Landie .

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 148784

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:40

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:40
snailbait,

I also would have to vote to leave the trailer at home.
Your vehicle will do the trip, but to put a trailer behind it will put a extra strain on it.

The big difference between the Canning and the Simpson is the way you go over the sand dunes. In the Simpson the dune run north south and we travel east west. On the Canning the dunes run roughly north east to south west and the track goes in the same direction. To get over the dunes a hard turn has to be made at the base of the dune, and this washes off any momentum to get over the dunes. The dunes are not that high but they still require some momentum.

Having a dual axle trailer would be easer to back up, but it would still put a lot of strain on the vehicle. On most of the dunes vehicles have backed up and instead of following the track around the corner they have made a new track so that they can get a straight run at the dune. This makes it hard for the vehicles that stay on the track and make the turn at the bottom of the dune as they now have to cross the ruts made by the the vehicles have a straight run.

To see how you go why not go to Stocken Beach with the trailer and try and get over some dune by doing a 90 deg turn just before you start to climb. Have the trailer packed as you would if doing the Canning, this should give you some idea for what you will be in for.

Wayne
AnswerID: 148787

Follow Up By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 17:30

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 17:30
hi Wayne
Thanks for your coments when you have done the simpson with Vic with hes tag a long trips over the years that you have done at leader or Tail end Charlie how many trailers have passed you goining in the oppest direction i bet you have seen moore each year as the years have gone on. now moore than ever on the Simpson
And i bet you have seen some on the Canning too doining what they should not do by going through the property they shouldnot
How is the busshe beard growing
I recomend a good read in CANNINING STOCK ROUTE ,A Travellers guide
3RD EDITION BY RONELE &ERIC GAURD ISBN 0-9586715-1-6
This was first published march 1990 and thay took some years to write it
We will see you on the Wallaby again we dont get out as many times as you do
have a good year
Snailbait ( Blue mntns )

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 402134

Sponsored Links