Permit Sandy Blight Junction Road

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 22:41
ThreadID: 29706 Views:3118 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
first excuse me,when my Englisch is not so good, but i hope that evryone understand my question. We are from Germany and planed a trip through the Outback in April-June. Genarally we use the Beadells Bomb Roads. So we aksed for several permits and for most of them we got it this time. Only for the Sandy Blight Junction Road the CLC in Alice deny us the permit because the Aboriginal Landowners closed the road due bad road condition. Did anyone of you have some details about road and the actual condition? Unfortunly we need these track, because we planed the trip from Docker River to Gary Junction and CSR. Otherwise we have to change our track route. If someone has information we are happy about evry answer.
Thank you in advance
Hans-Jürgen & Renate
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:36

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:36
I don't have any information, but I am sure people are travelling on the road. It is silly to close it becasue in my experience these roads once closed simply deteriorate even more reverting back to there once natural state.

I recently travelled the Wiso "road" from Lajamanu to Tennent creek and it had not been travelled on for nearly two years because the met guys who normally travel broke down and were unable to complete the trip. I drove it but was warned very clearly that it was going to do damage to my car. It did and it was difficut but we got through OK. The met guys tell me that the track is now much better becasue the community was waiting for someone to drive through, then tey all followed suit, and the track now is much clearer- it was badly overgrown with wattle.

I think the CLC has it wrong, and maybe they are playing politics to get funds.

I beleive that everyone who cares should write to the CLC and express concern that this track will revert back to an undrivable state as the Callawa track did.

Permits@clc.org.au
AnswerID: 148635

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:38

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:38
I must learn to proof read my posts before I submit

"there once natural state" shoud be "their once natural state"

the rest of the typos I'll leave to you
FollowupID: 401840

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:42

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:42
David, I believe that the Sandy Blight Junction Rd has been closed for some years, so would be very very difficult trip. I will stand corrected of course, lol. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401843

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:48

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:48
OK, I haven't been along it, but recall someone discussing the fact that people had travelled it. I know Connie Beadell has a report on damaged plaques on the Beadell web site, so someone must have travelled it, but I guess the report could be a few years old.
FollowupID: 401846

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:52

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:52
From Connie Sue's reports on the Beadell site

¨ Sandy Blight Junction Rd - Some of the plaques along here have had a narrow escape from the many fires that have inflicted this area; namely the half-way point between Giles and Sandy Blight Junction, Sir Frederick Range post, 140 m blazed tree and the Tropic of Capricorn post. (no date provided)
FollowupID: 401847

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 00:19

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 00:19
John,
We (mrs.& self and 1 other cpl) had no problem getting permits to travel the SBJ Rd. in May '04, so the decision by the CLC to not issue permits for this track has obviously been made since then.... (damn shame if true)...

I don't know if there have been recent fires, but when we went through, most of the previously burnt country was in "recovery mode"...

As for track condition... as with all of these unmaintained tracks, caution is a prerequisite... there were a few washouts in places, but no worse than any of the other Beadell & desert tracks that I've been on so far.... We (2 vehicles) were towing & had no difficulty whatsoever... I would class this as a relatively easy drive, but would not recommend going in there too soon after heavy rain...
IMHO, that is a marvellous bit of country through there, and to deny people the opportunity to experience it is bordering on criminal!!!!

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401853

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:38

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 23:38
G'day, Just a question, where are you leaving from, to go to Docker River?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 148637

Follow Up By: r034130 - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 00:40

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 00:40
Hallo,

we are comming from Uluru via Docker River, than we planed the SBR to Gary Junction. If the road is still closed in May, we think about to drive from Glen Helen via Papunya Road to Gary Junction. In that case we unfortunly miss the King canyon an Uluru.
Regards
Hans-Jürgen
FollowupID: 401855

Reply By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 03:06

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 03:06
G'day Hans,
you write: "we think about to drive from Glen Helen via Papunya Road to Gary Junction. In that case we unfortunly miss the King canyon an Uluru"

Just drive to Uluru/Olgas first, then from there to Kings Canyon, then along the Mereenie Loop and then past Goose Bluff and Tylor Pass. About another 20 km further on is a turn off to Papunya. This track takes you to the Gary Junction Road, about 15 km east of Papunya.
It's a nice drive through there, just make sure that it isn't raining or very wet from previous rain.
You need 2 permits for the Gary Junction Road.

Take care and have fun ( Viel Spass :-)
Mike
AnswerID: 148668

Follow Up By: r034130 - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 04:08

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 04:08
Hi Mike,

thanks for your recommentation. But first we will contact CLC again and aks if they can do an exception, but we dont believe in this. In that case we will change our route and we will drive like you recommend.
Regards
Hans-Jürgen
FollowupID: 401860

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 09:10

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 09:10
Hans

Yes the Sandy Blight Junction Road has been closed to non aboriginal travellers for some time.

It is possible to drive it without a permit because the likelyhood of meeting anyone out there is remote. But that is entirely up to you. Unfortunately if you have a break down in such a remote area you will be in trouble.

Best advice is to take the Mereenie Loop Road from Kings Canyon to the Papaunya Road. It is a better road and more scenic.

Cheers
AnswerID: 148694

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 17:37

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 17:37
Such a shame to see one of Len's roads, and one with a great history closed like this.
I wonder if we ask CLC what would be needed to open it would we get a response. I suspect the answer would be "funding from the Govt"

As an iconic track I wonder can we get it on the register of iconic tracks with the 4wd association?
FollowupID: 401947

Follow Up By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 18:48

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 18:48
G'day Willem,
great minds think alike :-)

Take care,
Mike
FollowupID: 401957

Reply By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 09:54

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 09:54
I was hoping to reply via member messages but note you are not a member, so I posted a reply I got from Beadell tours re Sandy Blight Juction road. I have editied it do it just contains the facts, since I am posting a private reply on a public forum.

I suggest you keep trying .

Dave,
Yes, we have had the same reports.

We travelled the Sandy Blight Road in May of 2005 and had a lot of
trouble getting permits. We did eventually get them .........
We intend trying again this May.
.............................................................................. the road
conditions, which to be honest are no worse than anywhere else.

Regards,
xxxxx
Beadell Tours
(08) 8250 2718
www.beadell.com.au
AnswerID: 149339

Sponsored Links