How do I make extra money on the road?

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:38
ThreadID: 29725 Views:2850 Replies:14 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone made things to sell at local markets while they were on the road?

I was at a local market here in Cairns today where a couple spend 4 months making and selling things then hit the road for 4 months at a time.

What about while on the road - what could you do to make extra money?

Any ideas??????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan Southport QLD - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:58

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 19:58
Well you are certainly crazy for even posting something like this on this forum...
AnswerID: 148792

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:40

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:40
Nothing crazy about that, lots of people have working holidays. Not many people can afford the luxury of a couple of months holiday. Making useful thing to sell to people is just a form of work. Ron Moon for example sells books of his travels. There are hundreds of people who work as they travel. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 401974

Follow Up By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:11

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:11
My thoughts exactly, pretty legitimate question I thought.

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 401981

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 22:03

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 22:03
maybe Alan thought your wife...making money.....on the streets

aah never mind.
FollowupID: 405280

Reply By: roofscooter2 - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:17

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:17
the mind boggles doesn't it .lo.
AnswerID: 148796

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:25

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:25
I guess it all boils down to...

What skills do you have?
What skills are you willing to learn?
What do the people need or want in the areas you are frequenting?

If you have a transient trade, by which I mean, you don't need a lot of tools, or a workshop, like say... a Sign Writer, then you've got a leg in.

If you are a Welder, or a Fitter & Turner, then you've got to rely on existing plant to turn a buck.

Arts & Crafts can get...meh....

You want to be able to turn a couple of hundred bucks a day, without carting a whole lot of stock with you, which really brings you back to a hired gun I guess.

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 148798

Reply By: russ36 - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:27

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:27
on the back of my alloy tray i have a piece of ply that i use to temporarily hang the outboard for very short journeys or engine flushing. it also displays my uhf channel. on the last trip that involved a fair bit of stays in diff locations i contemplated writing our occupations CARPENTER/HAIRDRESSER on the board but decided that i wasnt real keen on working on my holiday.....perhaps if finances were a bit tight it may be worthwhile for some
AnswerID: 148800

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:34

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:34
Being able to trim hair or a piece of wood would be nifty :))
FollowupID: 401973

Follow Up By: techie - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:10

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:10
perfect - Hairdressing/cutting. basic cut $2 less than the locals etc
Carpentry - 2 day job and your gone. quick money - extra spending.
techie
FollowupID: 402003

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:34

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:34
What about seasonal work, local pubs can tell you where to get work, as mentioned above, if you have some manual skills, you can get work helping local farmers,,, ask the local publican... he knows everything. Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 148802

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:46

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:46
Thanks people for the input - yes you are correct about "long holidays" - gets a bit rough without loot.... I guess I will find something to help...

I guess some people are blessed with heaps other just have piles.......
AnswerID: 148805

Follow Up By: gramps - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:49

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:49
LOL Good luck Crazy Dog. Nothing wrong with trying to defray some costs while on a long holiday. If you keep knocking, a door will open.
FollowupID: 401975

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:58

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 20:58
Well, when at Andamooka last winter I went out to the tip to see what I might find. You never know what you might find at the tip, especially at a place like Andamooka.

There was this gentleman there, a little older than myself, also looking to see what he might find. He drove a beat up old Holden Premiere with rust protruding through the torn, vinal clad roof.

We struck up a conversation and he told me of his exploits doing just what you would like to do.

He and his wife spend the six cooler months digging opal at Andamooka and the warmer (read hot) months making jewelry and selling it around the markets in his area. He came from the Ayre Peninsular from memory, or somewhere down that way.

He told me how his wife can divine opal and how they got a dozer out to Yarloo, making several hundred thousand dollars for the season. That was eight years ago.

Then he told me how, over the intervening time, he's sunk it all back into the ground trying to find more, with only minimal success.

His story had the ring of truth to it. Adding to the authenticity, he showed me, from the boot of the car, specimines of different kinds of opal and peices he had finished and mounted, with price tags on.

So there you go: get yourself a pick, a shuvel and a canvas waterbag. That's all you need to carry. You hire the dozer or excavator on site.

Happy traveling and don't work too hard.

Wilderness Landscape Photography

Regards,
Laurie.
AnswerID: 148809

Reply By: jo and mark - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:19

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:19
What about fruit picking? It is seasonal, big days but from what I heard when a friend did it she made big dollars, and lost a heck of a lot of weight in the process!
AnswerID: 148813

Follow Up By: brian - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:35

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:35
A fair question,a couple of years ago i met a couple from africa camped near lawn hill,they subsided their travels by selling costume jewelry they made along the way and giving talks about africa and its wildlife,they had been to many places around the world and had been on the road approx ten years when i met them.anything is possible.
FollowupID: 401982

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:39

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 21:39
Pickup acorns, and laquer them, you always see garbage like that at them junk markets.

cakes, scones, bikkies, etc.. but outlay to make may defeat the purpose.

Fruit pickin is the go
AnswerID: 148820

Follow Up By: ACDC - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 22:43

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 22:43
What about selling shoelaces!!
FollowupID: 401994

Reply By: techie - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:35

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:35
one way I subsidise my lifestyle is teaching the queens english.
A lot of foreigners, especially asians, wish to learn the real meaning of sentences, and how correct grammar is used.
Most can say a sentence, but cannot make it easily understandable by Australians.
I therefore teach enunciation, ie the difference between
whats that on the road ahead? and
whats that on the road, a head.
2 people at a time, $10 per hour each.
Easy.
Techie.
AnswerID: 148839

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:46

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:46
... but cannot make it easily understandable by Australians.

Wouldn't be understood would it?

Dunno, I nearly failed English at school, but then I didn't have much time for the teacher either.

Stuff the Queens english anyway, we speak Australian down here.

It's a different and interesting idea though, I know a bloke who was a chef here who talked his way into a gig teaching English in schools in Japan about 10 years ago. He's still there too.

Dave
FollowupID: 402009

Follow Up By: techie - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:59

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:59
you can pick the difference between understandable and understood - you're a natural.
Having listened to foreigners talk, there is a lot of improvement, and they want to be able to fit in.
One guy was doing Korean uni subject and is spending it here in Aus so as to learn english correctly - then gets a job cleaning surrounded by koreans.
I taught him more in a week than he learnt in a month at work.
Plenty of opportunity available. sorry opportunities.
Techie
FollowupID: 402012

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 11:37

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 11:37
Hope you teach them about plurals and possessive plurals.

I find the more I travel the more I find advertisements or signs with a misplaced apostrophe or even more so an apostrophe when there shoulddn't be one at all.

Someone somewhere must have taught that if the word ends in a "s" then it has to have an apostrophe
FollowupID: 402060

Follow Up By: Member - Camper (SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 14:16

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 14:16
Oh Yeah! The old apostrophe "bloodboiler' – If in doubt stick in an apostrophe. Use of loan instead of lend is a good one too and the incorrect spelling of pasties and potatoes in signs.
Camper
FollowupID: 402096

Follow Up By: gramps - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:58

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:58
Or when somebody looses something. The problem is they've found an extra 'o' :))))))
FollowupID: 402186

Reply By: D-Jack - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 14:48

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 14:48
my Grandma sticks fuzzy bits and eyes to the top of pencils, and when you twirl them in between your palms the hair goes every direction. What am I doing, I just gave away a potential market which could have made me millions..............
AnswerID: 148928

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 19:58

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 19:58
We spent close on 5 years on the road doing just that.

I made craft items out of MDF, my wife painted them and we sold them at markets. After two years we started wholesaleing, selling to shops.

When we gave the travelling away(temporarily) at the end of '99 we had 175 customers in 5 states, had travelled 260,000km and had seen a lot of country. We stopoped because we were tired and the Viscount caravan had fallen to bits lol

If you want any tips you can contact me through my website below and I should be able to help.

Cheers
AnswerID: 148998

Reply By: Member - Frank - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:41

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:41
the key is time to spend on road I have met several couples travling round aus working in remote places when staff are hard to get

there is a company in western aus thats specilies in this type of employment I belive they rotate couples around different sites to eaze the bordem

being an old statation man myself I intend to do holiday relief on stations when retire board and fuel to next stop as most cant afford to pay much and the best way to see the land is run the places where it is you see more
AnswerID: 149009

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 17:51

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 17:51
Crazy Dog,

You can certainly supplement your income very nicely from the markets if you can come up with a good idea. After my folks retired with nothing more than a pension, they travelled Aust. for 13 years solid. Their pension basically paid for their groceries and HBF cover; markets paid for everything else. For many years when markets were at the height of their popularity and M&D had the good health and energy to capitalise on it, they made a very nice living indeed - many a week they netted more than I did working 40 hours. We used to meet up with the folks in Darwin, Broome, up and down the Qld coast etc for years so I spent a lot of time hanging out at the markets with them. Apart from the income, they developed a lovely network of "market" friends, all travelling around doing the same as themselves. They spent most of the winter months split between Broome and Darwin where they did the Broome and Mindil Beach markets. Rest of the year they just did markets wherever they happened to be travelling (usually found out about markets in advance from other market holders or information centres). Also, you'd be amazed how much stuff they used to sell in the CVP to other travellers who's curiousity often drew them over th M7D caravan to see what it was they were working on, then word of mouth...

So what did they sell? Well all sorts of things. Mum is great at sewing so initially she made shirts, skirts, boardshorts etc. Dad just helped out. Later they met a man who made glass earings and pendants using crystal glass shaped under an oxy flame (same as glass blowers use). This man taught dad and even though his early efforts left a bit to be desired, he still managed to sell them. 15 years on he is very, very good at his craft (they still do a local market selling dad's glass only). Mum has always been artsy, so eventually she gave up the sewing and starting making handcrafts using gumnuts, driftwood, semi-precious stones (purchased). They also started buying and selling other peoples craft. Also, mum's never been afraid to "steal" someone elses idea either. Since they were always moving on, she never offended anyone because they'd be hundreds of k's away in another town before she brought the "new" idea to the market. I've lost track at all the stuff she's made and sold over the years. They have had a go at many things and made a success of it.

Their friends, many of whom I have gotten to know, sell wares ranging from folkart, fridge magnets, leather goods, T-shirts, paintings and so on. Some have no prior artistic skill (like my dad) but you'd be surprised how good you can get at something if you work at it for 6-12 months. A great idea we came across at the Kununurra markets last June was someone who had a stall set-up selling coffee and cake. They had a some folding tables and chairs set up in the shade for their customers, their cakes obviously weren't all homemade (perhaps purchased from the local bakery), an urn powered off a honda gennie and they were making a killing. Another mob were making bacon and egg rolls. Point is, yes you can definitely make money and all you need is a good idea that appeals to people.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 151624

Sponsored Links