Fraser Island Barge

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 22:29
ThreadID: 29730 Views:3366 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks I have just come home from what was supposed to be a weeks holiday on Fraser Island but after travelling nearly 1400ks to get there and booking a cabin at Cathederel Beach we caught the MANTA RAY barge at Inskip point the guys helped us out towing us and plenty of others who were bogged in the sand they used a 60 series cruiser to help us all out on the way to the barge , anyway to cut a long story short we were unfortunate enough to do seriuos damage to our 4x4 in the first 20ks of being on the beach so we had to be towed by a freind back to Rainbow beach that meant we would have been up for another vehicles return trip fee on and off the Island but the guys on the (YELLOW AND GREEN ) barge MANTA RAY seen that we had had a bad run and didnt charge us for the return trip they are a independently run barge so please consider taking there barge if your going over to Fraser you dont have to pre book them simply drive on and pay on the boat ,I have no interest in the barge or business I just wanted to give them a good rap as they helped us when we needed it thank you for reading my post Cheers to all Scott.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 22:35

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 22:35
Begs the questions,
What sort of vehicle do you have?
What sort of serious damage did you do in the first 20k's?
How'd you do the damage?

Good to see there are still helpful business's in this world.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 148829

Reply By: jo and mark - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 22:49

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 22:49
yeh I have the same question what happened in the first 20k's. We just got back from being over there for our first time, did notice the sand near the barges was quite deep in places and I too honestly thought that if mark was going to bog for a first time, that it would have happened there.
AnswerID: 148833

Reply By: scott666 - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 22:51

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 22:51
Hi Geoff I have a 60 series cruiser with a 1hz motor I was towing a Jayco off road camper and hit a wash away where the fresh water washes into the ocean it was about 2foot deep and there was a log in it it broke the thermostat pipe off and I lost all of the coolant not knowing it had done any damage and my temp gauge didn't show it was getting hot it has cooked the motor and at the least it has done a head gasket or maybe worse its in the shop now being looked at ,what a trip cheers Scott
AnswerID: 148834

Follow Up By: BLUEBAG53 - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:53

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 23:53
There are a selection of barges available to transport trekers from the mainland to the island. The modern barges offer drive on - drive off facility. The not so advanced barges offer reverse on _ drive off or vice versa skill levels. For the locals and regulars - entertainment on tap free of charge! I love the smell of burning clutches in the morning!
A simple map/ GPS check will reveal beach access via the Inskip Point Camp Grounds with no concerns of becoming forward or reverse motion embarrased. Casual drive on. Yes, select the correct coloured barge and drive off, of course, remember to adjust tyre pressures prior to embarking onto the sandy bits, check the tides ( local timings of course ) and then all things being equal, off we go. There are some very simple and basic rules that need to be observed here, and Scott you little Devil, you failed in at least one of these. If you learn from your experience, then you can advise others, if you repeat the same mis adventures you are deemed an environmentsl hszard and therbye banished to suburbia!!!!!!!!!! Slow down when beach driving, know and observe the tide times, i.e. run out goes fast an deep. Trust you enjoyed your trip!
PhillD
FollowupID: 402010

Follow Up By: Member - Camper (SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:48

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:48
One of the serious knock-on effects of losing coolant, as you have just experienced is that the temp guage has nothing to measure because the coolant is gone. Nothing that is till the head becomes red hot. Then it is too late. I've seen a motor completely wrecked due to this happening when a welsh plug failed.
It has made me a bit paranoid with coolant and I always check below the vehicle when approaching it after it has been parked ( to look for tell-tale wet patches) and certainly check for coolant loss after hearing bumps below the vehicle in the bush.
Cooking the motor in the bush on a hot day means a long walk which could lead to even further, more serious troubles.
Camper
FollowupID: 402089

Follow Up By: scott666 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 02:25

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 02:25
Thanks camper this has been an expensive lesson for me I will fit a warning gauge and like you i will check when I hear a bumps in the bush etc I am sure it will make me paranoid as well a hard lesson butwe will get through it ,thanks mate Scott.
FollowupID: 402221

Follow Up By: Member - Camper (SA) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 13:20

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 13:20
Hi again Scott,
I should have mentioned in my last post on this subject that the last time I spoke with Roachie he showed me a fitting into his radiator header tank which alarms as soon as it senses it is not in water. So if you have coolant escape you have an early warning before damage can be done. Seemed like money well spent. Roachie is a member if you want details.
Camper
FollowupID: 403344

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:35

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:35
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes.

Those fresh water washaways catch a lot of people out.

I usually travel keeping one eye on the dunes for signs of fresh water coming out, and you will find that they spread and are therefore shallowest near the surf.
But still can be deep!! As you found out :-(.

I suppose you were getting past too just like I do when I sit on 75 to 80k on the good sand.

Hope the trip home was uneventful.
AnswerID: 148857

Reply By: dags666 - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:03

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:03
Scott sorry to hear you had a bit of trouble. Mate those blokes on the barges have been cutting each others throats for years. How things have changed now they help you on and off the barge. Scott I see it every year damaged vehicles trust me there is an art to beach driving and reading the beach. Letting down tyre pressure also gear selections, different diesel to petrol. Reading the wash outs and believe me ive seen them deeper than 2 feet, it’s not a matter of following a white line and owning a 4wd, good luck next time dags
AnswerID: 148864

Follow Up By: scott666 - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:46

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:46
Thanks OLDPLODDERand DAGS666 looks like some of us have to learn the hard way as I did just getting out of Rainbow beach was a mission there was no accomadation no rental carsit was the 30-12-05 so it was real bad timing to get help we had to get picked up from distant family members who lived in Gympy and the the brother inlaw picked us up the next morning from oceanshores then it was a coach trip with all the camping gear plus fridge etc etc and it was more planning to get the camper off Frazer and get the 4x4 back on a tilt tray to the central coast we will remember that trip forever thanks for your comments guys cheers Scott.
FollowupID: 402040

Reply By: jo and mark - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 11:50

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 11:50
Sounds like one of our camping trips! ok this time round it was just the battery and that got sorted and wasn't a major issue.. unlike our christmas 2004 holiday adventure, and our 2004 camping adventure...
As horrible as it is that this one holiday has now cost you a fortune, at last you guys made it out ok!

Jo
"yep...Pajero country..."
AnswerID: 148896

Follow Up By: scott666 - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:01

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:01
Yep after a hell trip like that it sure is good to be back at home even just to get the head clear of all the dramas cheers Scott
FollowupID: 402075

Reply By: mcgra (VIC) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 18:40

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 18:40
i think opp lock sell some gadget that sits in the rad hose i think that sets an alarm of in the cab if you lose coolant flow.

i read about it somewhere maybe on this site i cant remember

gra
AnswerID: 148978

Follow Up By: Eddy - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 00:28

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 00:28
It's on the Trailers page

eddy
FollowupID: 402214

Reply By: scott666 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 02:01

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 02:01
Thanks GRA and EDDIE that is one thing I will look into and will be getting some type of warning light or buzzer I couldnt believe that I would cook a motor as I always take notice of the temp and oil pressure gauges but like Ive been told if you drop your water all of a sudden then your temp gauge will not read mine was still sitting on a quarter that was normal for my cruiser and look what happened the head is cracked that bad that it is a throw away job,thanks fellas cheers Scott
AnswerID: 149072

Reply By: rocketsalad - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 03:44

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 03:44
Back on topic....

The Manta Ray Barge.

As talked about b4 on other threads, Kingfisher bay resort now owns all the other barges. Kingfisher also own the servo on the left on the way into Tincan Bay. There they will gladly sell you a ticket on the Kingfisher barge as you pay for fuel. Dont be blind guys. GO WITH MANTA RAY Get your ticket at the barge.

Kingfisher Bay = Japanese owned
Manta Ray = locally owned

The next time you travel to Fraser Island, PLEASE remember the name MANTA RAY.

http://www.fraserislandbarge.com.au/default.htm <---cut n paste this.

RS
AnswerID: 149078

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:03

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:03
Hi Scott

Been there myself, but i was before the manta ray, didn't even make it to dilly village and collapsed a wheel bearing. cost a fortune on the other barge.

Since the Manta ray started, we are huge supporters of the crew.

Ads
AnswerID: 149104

Follow Up By: scott666 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 02:13

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 02:13
Gday Crazie its not the best place to have car problems is it we were totaly helpless on the island we were lucky a guy named Wayne and his girl Kristy helped us on trhe beach he was a Machanic but my problem needed a workshop , its good to see you support the MANTA RAY good onya Crazie Cheers Scott.
FollowupID: 402445

Reply By: GEG - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 13:18

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 13:18
Hiyah Scott,

Well it could have been worse....

You could have been female, there on Fraser camping with your 3 kids, fighting with a useless husband who remained back at the house in Brisbane...Lucky I had car travel (pajero - gear problems while travelling on a high tide up past indian head) while camping with my best girlfriend who also was fighting with her useless husband, he too stayed at home and she was camping with us also, with her 2 kids...ie 2 females in their 40's, 5 kids between the ages of 8 & 12, 1 trailer, 1 pajero, 1 tarp, 2 large tents, 1smaller tent and 1 landcruiser.

But the fantastic bush mechanic at Eurong got us going again... We did have to stay an extra night, and one day was spent hanging around Eurong and its beach pub....and then I had to pay some extra money that I hadnt budgeted for...(but I believe I still am infront considering Im not paying big bucks for accommodation in expensive hotel/apartment buildings)

but its all just part and parcel of the challenge and adventure of camping with kids and fighting with husbands....

It will be better next time - although mine wasnt that much better, as I caught a really bad virus and then hit a heap of kangaroo travelling around 110k. (kids were worried more about the kangaroo and wanted to go back and pick it up to take it home and nurse it better-mind you front bull bar is damaged along with damaged bonnet)

cheers.
AnswerID: 151605

Sponsored Links