Rear end sag

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:19
ThreadID: 29734 Views:1718 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I’ve had OME springs (2 inch lift) and shocks on my 100 series for 3 years now and think they are great. However they are the medium weight ones and I get a lot of rear end sag when the car is loaded. Unloaded the car sits and handles perfectly.

I’ve decided that something has to be done to correct the problem. But what? Should I replace the rear springs with OME heavy-duty springs, same as what I’ve got but with the extra 200 kg carrying capacity or add some Polyairs? What are the advantages and disadvantages of either one?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:34

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:34
Go the Poly airs.Pump them up when loaded to maintain ride height then lower them to min psi when unloaded for a great ride still.Got a set fitted to our 105 Cruiser(std height at the moment) just to maintain height when camper is on.Had a set on our 4 Runner for5 years and fitted some to parents 80 Series 3yrs ago and have never had a problem.
AnswerID: 148856

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:52

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:52
Chris
A set of heavier springs (864's or for real heavy work, 868's) will give you a firmer ride unladen, slightly higher than what you have now aswell...they do make the car handle abit better and dont squat asmuch when weight is in the back.
Comparitively, medium duties are 19mm wire, 864's are 20mm wire, and 868's are heavier again....possibly 21 or 22 mm thick wire.
They would be easier to fit and cheaper than the bags. Not bagging the bags at all, but if you end up relying on them too much, you could possibly be let down.....sorry guys :@) seen them holed b4,although very rare, not sure how much they impede articulation offroad....ive always gone with the spring option.
Andrew
AnswerID: 148860

Follow Up By: ChrisB - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:07

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:07
Andrew,

Originally, I thought upgrading the springs would be the best option, but I’m worried that everyday driving when not loaded would be compromised. Are the springs you mention progressive; i.e. soft to begin but firm up as the spring compresses?

Chris
FollowupID: 402035

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 14:35

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 14:35
Gday Chris
The springs you should have now is an 863, and it is a linear load spring, meaning all winds are thesame. The 864 is aswell. Both these springs are load carrying springs, the 3 is rated at 250kg's constant and the 4 is 400 kg's. It sounds like you actually have 860's in the back, which are the comfort progressive spring.... if you dont carry much around in the back as a norm, i wouldnt go with load springs...but if you have a Kaymar on the back and draws in the back, then they are ideal.
There are a few options open to you, air shox, air bags and probably even more safe would be load leveller bars.....not obvious to most, but weight on the towbar takes weight off the front wheels, effecting braking and steering....load levellers are excellent for my van....i lost a wheel around a corner last trip away, and they may have saved me having an accident aswell.
Andrew
FollowupID: 402100

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 14:39

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 14:39
Sorry Chris, thought you were towing for some reason......if you have 860 progressive rears, i have a set of 963's you can try, to see if you like them...i actually prefered the firmer ride of them over the 860's, as it wasnt harsh at all and made the car sway less in corners.
Andrew Wollongong
FollowupID: 402101

Reply By: desert - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:14

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:14
Changing to the heavier springs WILL make the car ride harshly when unladen. It will also have it's arse up in the air too. Depends on how much driving you use it for, laden and unladen. The Airbags can be adjusted and will not compromise the ride when unladen because they can have the pressure let out of them then. However, if punctured off-road, you are left with no load assistance to your soft springs. But you can always carry a spare set, they are easy to fit, if need be. Personally, I use two sets of springs which I change depending on the trip and load I'm going to do, takes about an hour to change them over.
AnswerID: 148902

Reply By: Member - David 0- Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:03

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 13:03
Mat of mine put heaviest King springs in his 80 and it fixed the problem. He complained about the heaviest OME's sagging twice. He loads his up a bit.

The Kings keep it level even when fully loaded and towing trailer.
He was told to keep a load in it tho, becasue it would ride rough. He is fine with that.
AnswerID: 148911

Reply By: Darian (formerly Banjo) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 15:46

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 15:46
Don't miss Plunger's post and replies a few up on the forum..................
AnswerID: 148936

Sponsored Links