Rust proofing our car

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 14:54
ThreadID: 29743 Views:2663 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I have recently bought a Nissan Patrol which doesn't have any rust proofing. We ae considering which is the best way to go do we use an electronic system or is a chemical spray the better option. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Dax
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darren C - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 15:01

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 15:01
Not sure whether this is any help but when we bought our new patrol, nissan sold us the after sales package and advised us to go for a wet treatment underneath the car coupled with an electronic system to protect the body. As it was explained to us the electronic system wont protect anything from the bottom of the doors downwards.

Cheers
Darren
AnswerID: 148929

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 17:50

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 17:50
Hi Dax - check the archives- been discussed a number of times.
We also considered it - then asked two vendors on Double Island Point beach.
(eg vehicles in the salt environment every day).
Both said -the electronic systems were less than useless.
Yes I know it is a second hand comment - but if you live near such a beach,
go down and find the ice cream vendor & put the question.

I would like the peace of mind, if such a system worked.
Seems on a road vehicle they may not.
regards...................Keith
AnswerID: 148965

Reply By: ev700 - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 18:15

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 18:15
Nonsense, the Patrol would have better rustproofing than any aftermarket supplier could provide. All quality modern vehicles have good rustproofing (through better metals, primers etc) including Toyota, Mitsubishi and so on and should not rust in normal use for 8 years and more.

So the debate is whether you re-treat or not and I have agonised over this because the quality of aftermarket rustproofing is variable.

Also it could strip some of the manufacturer's waxes off and create blockages preventing effective drainage and operation of parts.

It has been suggested to me that regular waxing of painted surfaces and treatment of the engine bay and underbody with post-beach fresh water washing and 'Salt Assault' is a better alternative.

In my opinion the electronic systems are worthless and the 'warranties' I've read have more 'outs' than a rat in a wire netting cage.

Nonetheless I will probably get a $400 (approx) rustproofing job done in Brisbane by either Rust Free, Albion or VPS Albion. I have not had any dealings with either dealer but both seem to have been around a while.

However I would still have to do the post beach wash under (and knowing me, a pre-beach spray with Salt Assault) and an overall wash with a self-waxing shampoo.

Maybe others have better ideas.
AnswerID: 148971

Reply By: dieselup - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 21:13

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 21:13
I know it's a bit old hat and it'll stink for a while but get the fish oil into it
It seeps into every nook and cranny
Find some old bloke who's had a panel shop he'll probably tellyou the same
lived on the ocean front most of my life all the locals sware by it
I'm sure to have some knockers but everyone's entitled toan opinion
good luck
AnswerID: 149025

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 09:18

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 09:18
I have a electronic unit and it's been rust proofed...the electronic unit only works if the car is new I was told...seems to be okay so far and I have not seen any rust and the car is a couple years old....
AnswerID: 149098

Follow Up By: Dax - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 17:06

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 17:06
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the feedback, although I'm still at a loss as to what to do, so guess will have a chat with my trusty local mechanic and the local Nissan dealer and see what they have to say.
Thanks again

Cheers

Dax
FollowupID: 402924

Sponsored Links