2002/03 Hilux Sr5 tyre choices + suspension

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 16:27
ThreadID: 29749 Views:7482 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Hilux SR5 V6 2003 model auto and it has around 70,000kms. I've had a set of Cooper AT for about 40,000 but am thinking about upgrading. I like deep tread. I wanted the STs originally, but couldn't get info on legality back then. I plan to do more 4x4 and camping this year and always good to have the capability to get deeper in the poo.
I'm thinking about buying this SR5 (co. car) for the wife and therefore it won't do many kms - I would like STT or STs for it and as big as legal. I plan on whatever suspension upgrade is sensible (eg. 0-2" lift), etc.
I might then upgrade the co. car to the new 4.0l hilux (which I've found info on tyre options on this site).
Just wondering if the STT or ST are a good choice and what size is legal on the Hilux?? my bro-inlaw has the STTs on his patrol and loves them (they look great too). Another friend has BFG MT and gives them big wraps.
Does anyone recommend a particular suspension upgrade?
In an insurance claim - do they have to decide that the tyres were a contributing cause? for it to be an issue?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turbo Diesel - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 17:31

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 17:31
If you can find a clear anwser from some legal authority i would love to hear about it, if you run 15 inch rims your options are somewhat limited. I hear the ARB suspension is good.
AnswerID: 148960

Reply By: cookymonster - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 18:30

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 18:30
I'll have to check - standard alloys that came with the Sr5 model. I'm also considering the ATRs. I personally think 40,000kms is great out of a set of tyres. I ran some searches on this site and there is a lot of talk about Coopers tyres warranty. I haven't had mine rotated or whatever since I got them put on - after 45,000kms on mainly bitumen (not much 4x4in this year) - I believe I could get another 40,000 or so before they're illegal - but why? As a tyre does more kms the tread dissappears (depth is reduced) and it's use as a 4x4 tyre is greatly effected IMO.
After owning non 4x4 vehicles and getting max 25,000kms on similarly priced tyres I'm happy with anything above that mileage. 40,000 to 50,000km is great. If I only wanted to drive on the road then I guess getting 80,000+kms is great. The original tyres on the Hilux lasted about 27,000kms before almost illegal.

AnswerID: 148976

Reply By: TUFF IFS LUX - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 00:11

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 00:11
g'day mate,

I gotta 2003 Hilux V6 also with a bleep load of accessories on it. In regards to your tyre choices i bought the car originally with 235?70x16 Bridgestone duelers which were absolutely crap. Then I went to Dunlop MT1 mud-terrains which worked well but due to me doing higher mileage I traded them in on a set of BFG AT's in 265/75x16 (equivalent 32.5x11.2x16) on sunraysia rims (16x7). Now, I have raised the suspension bout year and a half ago, bought a set of tough dog torsion bars and rear spring from the trading post and had them fitted along with Ironman man foam-cell shock absorbers. Might not be as big a name as some other brands but for me it's doing the job. The rear springs have raised the hilux 2.5" and up-front I've cut/shortened the bump stomp under the upper control arm to gain ean extra half in on the torsion bars. Aswell as this, I've trimmed back the plasrtic inner gurard at the back end of the front wheel well's to gain heaps of extra clearance. It works fine for me, no problems at all. When this set of tyres wears out, im thinking of getting either 33/10.5x15 BFG AT's or 286/75x16 which I worked out would just fit, and look pretty damn tuff! If you want some pics just email me and i'll send 'em to ya of me truck!

Hope the info helped!
AnswerID: 149060

Follow Up By: cookymonster - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 10:25

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 10:25
thanks mate - excellent. Would LOVE to see photos. hard to find modified late model Hiluxs. email them to claytonHILUX@tpdotcom.com.au (remove the HILUX in the email address).
Did you check these mods legally (insurance) or not worry about it. I noticed in one of the mags that Ironman has kits out for the Hilux for around $1300 (foam cell) - seemed pretty good to me.
A mate has the same car and I told him not to get Cooper AT (same as me) because not grippy enough and look no where as good - his hilux looks better than mine. So of course I can't get the same as him :)
+ another mate reckons I should have got BFG Mud (same as him) - he swears by them and does Cape York every year.
that's why I'm thinking Coopers ST or STT. Woudl even consider other brands.

FollowupID: 402261

Reply By: vitara - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 13:26

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 13:26
Hi there cookymonster, have the ome suspesion all round in the old lux (89 model leaf front end) and is great Is booked in next week to get new springs in front end, back still ok. Great for the rutted roads, yours should be even better having ifs front end, standard toyota suspension to me is crap and will fail very quickly on you especially on rutted roads, ome also gives you that extra ground clearance which can come in handy sometimes, my mate bought a brand new navara d/ cab 2 months before xmas and has just come back from up top end and all the suspension is stuffed from the rutted roads, is putting it in 2morrow for warranty to get replaced then is pulling out sticking in shed and putting ome all the way through. I have bfg's on mine and have not had a punture( maybe luck) or any side walls torn and they cop a pretty hard time. Just my thoughts on the question. Have a great day. Regards Vitara
AnswerID: 149131

Follow Up By: cookymonster - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 13:46

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 13:46
thanks Vitara. OME suspension I've heard is good. One of my staff has on his jeep and raves about it. I will look into. Pretty sure it's popular in the US now too.
Agree with you on the suspension. My rear shocks were rooted after about 50-60,000kms - had replaced. Just they quoted me about $2500 for a 2" lift install (new springs and shocks) and I thought that was a bit steep at the time. Does this sound about right?
I've made a call this morning and most likely going the Cooper STT in a larger size - 10 or something.... $283 each. Probably get them this Friday or Saturday.
FollowupID: 402288

Reply By: Member - Gary C (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 16:35

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 16:35
Hi there Hilux V6 owners
I have 04 model (basic) I still have steels on but just about to change to ROH
Was thinking of 245 or 265 x16 x7inch
any thoughts on which size best all round considering speedo error etc
bit nervous i am new at this fourum thing

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 149162

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 17:10

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 17:10
Hi there Gary, mate put this as a new question on the forum not an add on you will get more responses from it.Not having a go at you just helping you so you hopefully get the answer you need. regards steve m
FollowupID: 402324

Follow Up By: gramps - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:56

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:56
Gary,

I too have the 04 poverty pack model with splits and standard rubber. Spoke to a dealer and he says you can get the 255/70R15 tyre placard for about $5, strange for Toyota - no zeros on the end :)))

Still to do the calcs/pricing on new wheels/rubber but this link may help

Tyre size calculator

regarding speedo error and possible insurance/safety aspects.

Let us know what you decide. I'd be very interested.

Regards
FollowupID: 402862

Reply By: Member - Gary C (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 17:57

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 17:57
Thanks a lot Steve will take your advice

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 149186

Reply By: Cheiffy - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 06:33

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 06:33
G'day there Cookymonster,

I have OME allround on my 2003 SR5 with 15" (Standard SR5 rims) Cooper STT's.
This suspension has done around 60,000 kms and is still going strong. When I went to ARB about the suspension, I told them what I was going to do with the car and what extras I would be adding. At least this way they had a better idea as to what they should put on.
I went with the Cooper STT's because they appear to be a pretty strong tyre with excellent side wall protection. I have notice a drop in fuel economy as well as an increase in road noise but this is to be expected. I have had no dramas with these tyres as yet on asst bush tracks and will hopefully get to try them on sand soon.

Cheers

Cheiffy
AnswerID: 149293

Follow Up By: cookymonster - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:45

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:45
chieffy - any chance you can email me photos of your SR5 with the STTs. I'm pretty keen on getting these.

I like the idea of the OME suspension too - can you remember the approx cost?

email claytonDELETE@tpdotcom.com.au (delete the DELETE bit in address to send to me).

thanks

Cooky
FollowupID: 402491

Reply By: Cheiffy - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 09:44

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 09:44
Will do Cooky,

Just give me a few days to get some snap shots together. Get back to you soon.

Cheiffy
AnswerID: 149573

Reply By: cookymonster - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:42

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:42
thanks mate. If it's not before Saturday I might be able to provide pictures of my own. I'm heading out west to Charters Towers for a cricket carnival and a bloke who owns a 4x4 shop was very helpful 2 years ago. I couldn't spend any money with him at the time because his compressor broke down (was going to get him to put on some Coopers for me), but he gave us some beers, fixed my spotlights - cabling and was generally very helpful.
Since I'll be there, I might as well take the opportunity to spend some dollars with him.
I called him and he's a big fan of the STT and runs them on own truck. He's ordered another size for me and we'll have a look at the 2 sizes and decide then
AnswerID: 149589

Follow Up By: Cheiffy - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:11

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:11
I have just sent you an email with a few pics attached. I have the 31's on mine and they are pretty awesome. Good luck and happy shopping.

Cheers

Cheiffy
FollowupID: 402950

Sponsored Links