WAECO TROPICOOL TC-32

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 19:21
ThreadID: 29759 Views:6190 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all,

I have just purchased one of the subject items and regrefully it came without any technical information. Could forum readers give me an indication on what the current draw will be, from a conventional 12 volt standard duty car battery.

Would it be safe to leave it connected to the cars 12volt battery supply overnight, without waking up to a flat car battery?

My final question is, I have a GMC 850watt generator and I am reliably told that I would be insane to connect the cooler direct to it, without surge protection. What would be a recommended surge protector to utilise for this purpose?

In anticipation, many thanks.

Macca
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hl - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:23

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:23
No and Yes.
Cheers
AnswerID: 149002

Reply By: Mark T - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:52

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:52
Well, I have one of these beasties and also a regular Waeco compressor fridge.
The problem with the cooler is that they don't cycle like a regualr fridge. Well, actually depending on the ambient temperature and what you have the thermostat set to they do. But their cycle time is sort of 90% on and 10% off on a hot night.

And yes, you will wake up to a flat battery.

The GMC... I have one and used to use it to run my Waeco cooler all the time with no problems.. except for the noise. Also because they do not draw a lot of current on 240 Ac you really need a 100Watt globe or such on at the same time to give the generator a reasonable load to work with. The GMC output is not as "dirty" or as bad as some people would have you believe.

Last trip we had our GMC fired up with a Waeco Tropicool 21, a Waeco 50 litre fridge and a Waeco 40 litre fridge and and a couple of lights and they all ran well.

It's just the noise you see.............

We make a point of camping away from everybody else so that the gen only gives us the tom tits and no body else.

Cheers

Mark T
AnswerID: 149013

Follow Up By: hl - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 06:51

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 06:51
Hi,
If he runs the cooler off the 240V, no problem as you say (with a suitable power supply of course), but if he means running the cooler off the 12V output, there would be "issues".
The 240V waveform on these little gennis is actually quite ok, only when they get near their full output will the waveform get distorted, but that is still of little consequence with most gear connected.
Cheers
FollowupID: 402225

Reply By: Member - Trevor M (SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 23:48

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 23:48
g'day macca,

I have one and find it pretty good for light use. One time I forgot to turn it off for about 5 hrs and was still able to start the motor but I wouldn't want to risk it overnight.

When I am camping I tend to try to keep it closed as much as possible and turn it off for a few hours then give it a couple of hours to cool down again just before retiring for the night. Make sure the engine fires again in the morning then run the cooler again for a while.

I have found it more convenient and holds more than an esky (no space taken by ice) but only for short trips. On longer trips the other vehicle I travel with has a bigger unit and I recognise its benefits. The two combined actually work perfectly.

Regards
Trev
AnswerID: 149058

Follow Up By: macca172 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 06:08

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 06:08
Trev,

In your opening paragraph, are you referring to the cooler or the GMC generator?

Regards,

Macca
FollowupID: 402224

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor M (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 09:26

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 09:26
Hi,

I was talking about the cooler

Trev
FollowupID: 402250

Follow Up By: macca172 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 18:48

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 18:48
Trev,

Ok with you now mate, I didnt read your response to well! I went out today and purchased a "surge protector" power board and additionally the car battery is a bit long on the tooth(five years old), so I invested in a new car battery also. Thank you for your interest into my questions by responding, much appreciated.

Macca
FollowupID: 402347

Sponsored Links