What beaches are you allowed to drive on in SA?

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 19:44
ThreadID: 29760 Views:24573 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, all, I'm fairly new to Adelaide and have driven onto the beach with about 50 others at Seaford, but today I was at Semaphore and there is clown driving up the beach in a sparkling new Pajero amongst the kids, dogs etc. I've searched the Department of Environment an dHeritage webpages and found no reference whatsoever, also there are no gigns saying it is not allowed, and admittedly,there is a very clear track from the carpark right onto the beach that the Surf club use to launch thier row baot etc. So whats the go?? any clarity would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 19:49

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 19:49
My understanding is that Semaphore is a definite no no. I think most beaches would have access of some sort.
AnswerID: 148994

Reply By: Member - Tim F (NT) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:06

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:06
G'day Coyote,

Used to be able to drive on beach at Moana (down near Christies Beach), pretty boring though from a 4wders point of view, fairly short run only about a km or so. Also at Goolwa you can drive on the beach down to the mouth of the Murray River, and of course there is some of the toughest beach sand driving to be done in Australia, down near Robe in the South East. Sorry not sure about Semaphore, sorry.

Cheers Tim.
AnswerID: 148999

Reply By: ToyMotor - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:19

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:19
You're allowed to launch your boat at that spot at Semaphore, (but not drive up and down the beach) and also at Seacliff beach. General beach access is allowed at Silver Sands, and also Aldinga (the council collects money off you on weekends) there are signs to define the limits to driving access up and down the beach.

Also a lot of other spots in the state, such as Guichen Bay, Pondalowie Bay etc.

Cheers
AnswerID: 149001

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:59

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 20:59
Yep... Forget about Largs, Semaphore, Grange etc etc....Most of the Metro beaches are a no-go.....
Like already stated,, Goolwa is a good drive,,, Going to Robe or beachport and then traversing the dunes and beaches is sometimes difficult but great fun...
There is a few hidden places,,, one that comes to mind is down South which you would have driven straight past under the Southern Expressway.... Not a trespassers prosecuted sign to be seen anywhere with about 6 groups of 5 or more 4x4's there on Sunday morning...
AnswerID: 149015

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:19

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:19
Voxson, what beach do you mean? i can't think of any beach near the southern expressway, (flinders hospital to old noarlunga) that you can drive on.
By the way that storage system i bought off you works a treat. only had to modify the top so i could fit my 40l engel (you must have had a 32 l).

Barnesy
FollowupID: 402528

Reply By: DP - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 21:21

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 21:21
G'day Coyote, no you can't drive at Semaphore. Life saving clubs have special permission to do so for launching and patrolling activities only.
As mentioned above the only beaches you can drive on (legally) inside an hour of Adelaide are Moana and Aldinga.
The local council will hit you up for $5 ramp fee on weekends, school holidays and public holidays from November through to March. However these ramps are manned by local community groups and a good portion of the money raised does go to a good cause. Also as both of these beaches are in the same council area you can gain access to both beaches on the one day if you keep your ticket.
Moana entry is immediately to the south of the surf life saving club. You can drive approx 2km South and back again. this is an extremely busy beach in summer.
Entry to Aldinga Beach is via any of three access ramps. Aldinga (Northern end), Silver Sands (Norman Rd - middle) adjacent to the lifesaving club and Sellicks (Southern end).
Aldinga beach has a much publicised "car-free zone" between the Aldinga and Silver Sands ramps so you legally can not pass through this section. The local council and police keep a pretty close eye on this area. It is best to enter from the Silver Sands ramp mentioned above, and you can drive the 3 km down to Sellicks and exit there or return again along the beach.
(As captain of the Aldinga life saving club - I'd prefer you enter here as the fee goes towards our club! Also there is a patrolled swimming area immediately to the right of this ramp.)
The driving is fairly leisurely during summer with hard flat sand, but can get boggy on the higher ground at times during rising tides. Especially if there has been a lot of traffic on the beach during the day.
Good luck with your beach driving. If down Aldinga way on a weekend ask to see Dan P.
AnswerID: 149029

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 22:28

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 22:28
Here on the YP there are heaps of areas where you can drive along the beach; mainly on the western side. In theory, you can more or less drive from Wallaroo to Port Rickaby with a few detours for aboriginal land, towns etc
AnswerID: 149048

Reply By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 08:10

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 08:10
Can anyone point me in the direction of the actual rules.. I guess I'm not looking for a particlar spot.. I've been to goolwa a ferw times etc but I guess what I;m after is where does it say there's no driving on the beach at semaphore? I certainly don't plan to drive in and around the kiddies etc, but there is what looks to be purpose built beach access points and no signs anywhere denying access, but I guess ignorance in not a defence.. I'll try calling the SA Govt during buisness hrs today and if I get any luck I'll post back here, but I wont be holding my breath. I have a bt mire faith in the 'forum' than in getting helpfull advice from the Governemt help line. Cheers all for the advice thus far.
AnswerID: 149090

Follow Up By: slow mower - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 09:35

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 09:35
Doubt if you'll find any once source of actual rules. Suggest that you will need to check with respective councils who generally control access to 'their' beaches. Remember, under SA RTA when driving on the beach ALL road rules apply. Speed restrictions may apply, as imposed by councils.
Cheers
FollowupID: 402253

Sponsored Links