tyres , suspension new hilux dcab

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 15:43
ThreadID: 29789 Views:6462 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have just purchased a new SR TD3lt hilux d/cab and want to have it lifted 50mm and run 31x10.5 MT's , have a price of $560 for lift using original shocks and King Springs. Will this effect my warranty and insurance? and I was going to use SR5 alloy wheels, are alloy or steel better in the bush? wanted to go with 31x10.5x15s as they are easy to get when travelling in remote places. any advice would be great.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turbo Diesel - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 17:25

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 17:25
Gumbo

Arb would be the go for the suspension but check out 4x4 australia mag current issue for opp lock stuff. Warranty will be ok with the suspension upgrade, insurance is doubtful, i have been told by RACQ that i will not be insured if my car is illegal in accordance with QLD Tansport rules. (2005 SR5 TD D/C) Qld Transport state no more than 15mm increase in overall diameter of the original tyres diameter. Steel is always stronger than alloy so if you want to go bush pick up some ROH steel rims or go the RTX alloys from Roh for Hilux look great. I would not waste your money on SR5 rims, personally I would put on a 16 inch rim (ROH RTX 16 X 7) and put on some 245 75 R16 BFG mud terrains. Theses tyres are legal according to ARB southside at coopersplains in Brisbane, for a hilux. THe only legal tyre in the BFG mud terrain I think for a 15 inch SR5 rim is 235 75R16 BFG, at least one that is not so small as to be confused with a bike tyre. By the way replace your shoks toyota shocks are crap do the whole suspension not half.

Cheers
AnswerID: 149176

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 18:49

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 18:49
Gimbo, I've got the '05 SR5 with OME suspension upgrade. Achieved 43mm at the front and 75mm at the back, but I suspect it has settled to about 40 and 50. The back was noticeably higher at first, but is pretty level now with settling and the fact I have a canopy, drawer unit, fridge, tools, recovery gear and 20 litres of water in the back all the time.

RACQ are fine on the lift. I asked the local Toyota dealer where I purchased the ute about the suspension before I did it. They said no problems on the warranty.

I've got Cooper 265/70s for tyres, a bit bigger than standard, but within the legal limit. I'd like to get 31s next time for the bit of extra hight. It is a risk, but not much I reckon. Wouldn't look much different and it would be a well informed insurance assessor who picked it up; but a risk all the same.

As for wheels, I've always understood alloy to be stronger than steel, so you are less likely to damage them. But if you do, you cannot repair them. With steel, you can bash them into shape with a hammer. I've got the alloys as I reckon it would be a tough break to damage 2 or 3 wheels. You have a spare, plus I have another on the CT (which matches the vehicle) and on big trips I carry a 3rd spare. Bigger risk of lots of punctures than damaging a lot of wheels; I've never damaged one yet.

AnswerID: 149196

Follow Up By: GUMBO - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:05

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:05
thank you Turbo Diesel & Norm C for your reply's, as I am only new to site I have just read the great tyre debate in forum. Pretty confusing, as 245/75/16s & 31/10.5/15s are the same diam, (since posting question have found Coopers tyre size web site) and I have 2 brand new 31/10.5/15s MT BFGs in shed left over from 2000 SR5 d/cab (was much easier to lift that model) will probably go with them if legal, will check out steel wheels to suit and the ARB & OME lift options, also am having a mate at QLD Tpt check out 15mm/50mm increase, did not realise this with last truck. Being from Cairns we do a couple of trips to the cape /lakefield/ maytown every year and regularly do Creb Track on weekends so the std tyres and rims are useless and so is ground clearance, on first trip bent alum side step. I did not realise when buying truck that it would be so costly & difficult to set up. Thanks for replies.Gumbo
FollowupID: 402362

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 22:02

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 22:02
Gumbo, I bent the original side steps on my first off road trip. Have since scrapped them and had custom steel ones (super strong) made and fitted up under sill. Removed rear step and had some bars welded on to tow bar for rear protection. Also fitted ARB bullbar. Between all that and the OME lift from ARB, it is now a much more capable off road vehicle, with improved approach and departure angles and ramp over.

Will fit Firestone airbags to rear in about a week to help when loaded and towing CT.
FollowupID: 402398

Follow Up By: GUMBO - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 22:30

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 22:30
One more question , has increasing your tyre size put your speedo out, on my old truck it was out by approx 10km/h. I have a tray back truck with TJM b/bar etc, am thinking about a set of scrub bars with steps to replace originals. also how does yours perform towing as we are setting this up to do a lap around Oz towing a camper trailer with boat on top of trailer.
FollowupID: 402406

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 22:55

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 22:55
My tyre size change is pretty small (about 10mm I think) so I hardly notice the speedo change. Think it was only out a couple of k's when we last checked on the GPS.
My CT is about 1.3 T fully loaded with a ball weight around 220KG if I fill all 4 gerrycans on the drawer bar (only do this when necessary). Apart from some bum sag (which I'll fix with the air bags) it tows very well. I do most of the towing in 4th gear, only going to 5th on long down hill runs. 5th gear (in any vehicle) is not designed for the strain of towing. Only notice the weight when we have to change down a bit earlier on steep hills. Cruise at 100KPH no problem.

Went to Fraser Island fully loaded with CT. Handled the sand well. Only place we had any trouble was getting around Indian Head (very long run of deep dry sand) on the way up (slightly up hill and fully loaded with fuel, fire wood, beer etc).

Rated tow capacity is 2250 (from memory), but for a real long trip, I'd try to stay below 1.5T, particularly if you also have a fair weight in the vehicle.

We will be doing Brdsville area, then NT and Kimberleys, GRR etc this winter towing the CT. I'm comfortable with the set up for the trip.

FollowupID: 402412

Sponsored Links