Mundaring Closures

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 19:33
ThreadID: 29802 Views:2988 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have a copy of the article in Saturday 14 January 2006 West Australian newspaper regarding closures of 4WD tracks in Mundaring? Or what do you know about it? It was always planned to happen, but basically I want to know if a closure date has been set. Thanks!
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jeepster-WA - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:32

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:32
I'll just fetch the paper out of the bin
AnswerID: 149212

Follow Up By: Jeepster-WA - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:37

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:37
The article states that the closures will start in the next 4-6 weeks with the installation of gates, barricades and signs. The areas they mention in the article are the tracks west of Mundaring weir road, around the North Ledge area off Atkins road. Can scan and email the article if you wish.

Cheers

Andy
FollowupID: 402370

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:41

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:41
Thanks Jeepster - I would appreciate a copy when you can, if its not too much trouble.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 402371

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 21:23

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 21:23
Yes I also read it, couldn’t remember if it was a follow up report or if it had been mentioned on here some months back.

Is this the aria including the Power line Track and surrounding tracks?

They say it is due to track erosion and mud from this erosion ending up in the weir if I remember correctly, Personally I can’t see how a Small 4WD track running throe the bush would cause such a big problem.

Closing the track a specific times of the year and possibly also for 6 months to a year to allow for some repair/ rejuvenation work to happen would be a better option IMO.

They say there will be a small section like 3k’s or something suitable for all I.E AWD and 4WD’s.

Whoohoo 3k’s big K’s
AnswerID: 149223

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 23:10

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 23:10
Isn't that part of the area that Rally Australia uses .?? albeit in the now past tense seeing as you Westralians no longer want a World Class event on your doorsteps?
AnswerID: 149260

Follow Up By: Billowaggi - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 23:15

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 23:15
Ouch!!
FollowupID: 402421

Reply By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 23:36

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 23:36
I was up there on Sunday. It is all still accessible but technically off limits (has been for some time). When I found myself at L300 / CV Hill I knew I was in the closed off area and left. There were no signs in the closed off areas that I saw.

This is a problem because only those in the loop are aware of what is shut and what is legal and to add to the problem, you really need a GPS to be compliant.

The powerlines are still OK (albeit a bit boring).

I have some documentation from CALM outlining the closures Michelle. If you can e-mail me I'd be happy send it to you. Another option is to check out Perth4x4.net and it is all clearly outlined here......

Mundaring closures

Hope this is of assistance to you.

AnswerID: 149266

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:52

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:52
Thanks V8Diesel for pointing me directly to that document!
Interesting about the lack of signs still, but I think that's what the current crack down will be.

I've been quietly following this for a couple of years - hence we removed the Mundaring Trek Notes at least a year ago from the Trek Search list (although the article is still on the system just not navigable, although I see the Forum Related Pages Finder picked it up, but normally, you can't get to it). I knew it was all to become more formalised soon, and heard about the article in last weekend's paper and missed it... then noticed the agenda item in today's Track Care meeting (which I cannot attend).

You've all been of great help.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 402516

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 00:19

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 00:19
Hi Michelle,

Track Care WA is having a meeting tomorrow night with a presentation by CALM on the issue. I believe this invitation sent to WC4X4 is an open invite sent to all 4WD clubs and interested bodies.

TCWA meeting - January 18

Meeting Place: “Gurney Centre” 1 Fred Bell Parade, East Victoria Park.

Meeting Time: 7.00pm

Details: MUNDARING CLOSURES & CALM PRESENTATION Please be advised that as of late Monday afternoon the CALM - Hills District Office will be in attendance as Guest Speakers and giving a presentation at our 18th January 2006 meeting. This will be an opportunity to find out first hand what the process is and why the Mundaring area will be closed to all future 4WDriving. Discuss future opportunities and alternative areas and the process to attain such access. Please show your support for Track Care by attending this presentation from CALM and check out our new meeting venue at the same time. I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible. Message sent to WC4X4 by Debbie Duncan - acting Chairperson for TCWA.

Cheers

Captain
(Secretary WC4X4)
AnswerID: 149276

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:54

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:54
Hi Captain, yep know about that, I'm a Track Care Member (and former secretary) and that's what prompted my question as I noted the agenda item for the meeting today. If anyone happens to go to the meeting, I"d be interested for you to share your feedback on the Forum as a result of what CALM have to say today!
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 402518

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:55

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:55
Hi Cap'n. I would have liked to attend the meeting tonight, but as I'm doing a triple shift at work (urrggghhhhh!) I'll be 'otherwise occupied'.

As Michelle mentioned, would you mind posting a bit of a report / debrief of the Mundaring situation as I would be very interested to hear the upshot of it all. I think one of the biggest problems with track access is communication or lack thereof. You'll never stop the idiots (same as everything in life generally) but the majority of people want to do the right thing.
FollowupID: 402545

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:15

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:15
Hi Michelle & V8Diesel,

I couldn't make the meeting last night, but 6 of our club members did. The meeting report
is posted here. Not good news, but very interesting to hear that the Water Corp is behind the closures and not CALM, and that info is directly from CALM themselve!!!

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 402936

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:28

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:28
Thanks Cap'n. A couple of blokes I know are talking with the powers that be too. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
FollowupID: 402988

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 00:50

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 00:50
Hi Michelle
Please read the following and have a look at the link

Richard

18th October 2005
TRACK CLOSURES IN MUNDARING (Middle Helena)
We have just received notification from CALM of track closures in Mundaring
through the Middle Helena water catchment area.

PLEASE READ THE ATTACHED FLYERS FROM CALM:
Flyer 1
Flyer 2
There is a phone number for the Water Corporation 9495 8822 offering "further
information about the closure of these tracks".

track care

AnswerID: 149282

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:12

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:12
Thanks for all your responses.
I haven't yet received a copy of the article from the West yet, but I've got an offer there I'll wait for. No urgency really just want to make sure I keep up to date with this issue. If anyone can get to the Track Care meeting tonight, it would be worthwhile to hear what CALM are going to say, and good to show a concerned presence!
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 149366

Sponsored Links