ideas for toddlers on the gulf trip

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:37
ThreadID: 29830 Views:2561 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We will have 2 toddlers aged 2 1/2 and 1 1/2. I am after suggestions specific to bush craft and activities for this age around the camp site and in the car. I am also after ideas of how to set up and store the toys, food, activites and lap top for dvd around the 2 baby seats in our prado. I always have everything on the floor around the passengers feet! We are off to the gulf for 5 weeks in May.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RussellV - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:26

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:26
There is an excellent article on this site under "on the road" called Travelling with kids. I'm sure you will find excellent tips and tricks there as I have done. As for bush craft I usually tent camp and there are many things little ones can help/hinder with putting up a tent - it may take a little longer than if you were doing it yourself but it is very rewarding! Enjoy - it is never too early to start!

Cheers

Russ
AnswerID: 149355

Follow Up By: Carlin - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:16

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:16
it is now on my fridge thanks!
FollowupID: 402588

Reply By: tdv - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:33

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:33
Did the same thing last May. Kids had a great time helping/hindering with the tent as suggested (3 and 1 at the time). Also found that the tinnie on the ground beside camp was a never ending source of entertainment. The Gulf (of Carpentaria I assume) has plenty of very sandy river beds. "WORLDS LARGEST SANDPIT". Bucket and a few shovels or the tonka truck was great.

We also have a prado and found at a local market a back of seat hanger with lots of little comparments that hold the odd book, toy, lego, blocks etc. The kids choose their own toys that fill this space before we leave on a trip. We purchased a portable dvd recently with two screens. The player fits easily on the centre console with the screens on the headrest. Great for the long days and at $398 worth every cent.

As for food our kids eat whatever we do so no real problem. Few roasts in the camp oven (our kids like roast veges and they are easy to keep), plenty of tinned peaches etc, pastas, BBQ sausages, lunches can be left overs or wraps (Lavash bread which keeps for weeks) with cold meat and salads. Also plenty of treats to make them enjoy being out there...lollies, chips, bikkies, etc stuff our kids don't normally get but are allowed (within reason) when camping. We figure it is only a few weeks and won't kill them.

We also bought good quality backpack carriers so we could do walks in areas like Lawn hill and Riversleigh. Croc spotting from the boat in the arvos was also an entertainer each day (would se plenty of freshies up nice and close) and trolling the odd lure would produce plenty of fish which the kids enjoy winding in. Crayfish pots are also great fun for the kids.

Hope this helps. Have a fantastic time!

Terry
AnswerID: 149373

Follow Up By: Carlin - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:14

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:14
we are going with people who do not have kids but have a tinnie. we are not taking our tinnie too small we would be the bait for the crocs! Is there stuff to look and see and do up there for this age around the camping areas? sand pit is a great idea! I am worried I will be stuck at camp bored with 2 grumpy kids while everyone else is off fishing!

also do those back packs hold 3year olds?

thanks for your reply
FollowupID: 402586

Follow Up By: tdv - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:57

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:57
Carlin

The backs packs hold up to 18kg I think....mind you that is starting to get difficult to lug around. Our 3 year old did most of the walks with us then when tired got on the shoulders. The little fella just sat happily in the carrier, often falling asleep. We started doing walks a few months prior to get them used to the process and to gauge how far they could walk.

i can understand the whole stuck with kids thing....I've pulled out of an Aussie day trip for that very reason, the location isn't really suitable to kids and everyone will be fishing for 3 days.

I used a 10ft car topper and provided you are sensible this is great for the smaller freshwater areas. Where r u going?

FollowupID: 402616

Reply By: Allan-Pilbara - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:46

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:46
Carlin

A couple of those little green lights in the tube that when you bend them they light up are good at night time to keep them busy for a while.
AnswerID: 149745

Follow Up By: Carlin - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 16:35

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 16:35
See! That is the type of great idea I need! Thanks!
FollowupID: 403400

Sponsored Links