Nuytsland Adventure

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:57
ThreadID: 29834 Views:2540 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody travelled through Nuytsland from Israelite Bay to Twilight Cove via Toolinna Rockhole recently. Comments on travelling times, track conditions etc would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod W - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 16:05

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 16:05
Have done it twice in the opposite direction about 3 or 4 years back. Your direction you will have an 80k beach run (check tides) from Israelite Bay to the jump-up for Baxter’s Cliffs. Up on top of the cliffs it's about the same distance again to Baxter's Memorial. These sections were a comfortable day's run each. The track on top of the cliffs is of course limestone cap rock. From Baxter's Memorial it’s out Caiguna and along the highway via Cocklebiddy to the turn off to/via Eyre Bird Observatory to Twilight Cove.
AnswerID: 149412

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:56

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:56
Yep, did in in June 2005.

Go to my website below, click on 4x4 and then click on The Big Trip.

Summer months are better to drive along the beach.

We scratced the trucks severely in the first 50km from Israelite Bay where the track was overgrown as the beach access was 1 metre deep in seaweed an not driveable
AnswerID: 149443

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:22

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:22
Have been as far as Toolina Cove. I have the trip notes that cover from Poison creek to Bellingers beach before heading to the telegraph track and on to Pt malcolm - Israilite bay - Pt Culver - Toolina.
As Willem has said it depends on the tides as to how you will find the beach run from Israilite to Culver. I travelled it when the Tides were down and it was a doddle taking about 2 hours on the other habnd when the tides are up the Weed at one end makes things tricky and when you get to the other the waves are right up to the dunes with no beach to drive on.
If you want the trip notes which take you along beaches and headlands to the top of Mt pasley then down and around more fantastic coastal scenery beforejoining the telegraph track just give me your email and i can send it on.
The only tricky part is a cutting just before Bellingers beach where I had to let my tyres right down to get up.
Oh almost forgot I would reeely appreciate it if you go this way if you can see if access down to Toolina Cove has been re - established (ladders and ropes)and the flying fox (for gear) is in working order
AnswerID: 149474

Reply By: Stevo - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:13

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:13
Thanks for all your advice folks. Rod, I spoke to the CALM office in Esperance and was advised that you can now drive the section of the telegraph line between Baxters and Twilight Cove, albeit very slowly. Davoe, according to the guys at CALM some miners from Coolgardie re-established access but because of liability issues a group of CALM staff are going out there in February to remove all ladders and ropes to prevent future access down the cliffs onto the beach.
AnswerID: 149549

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 17:55

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 17:55
Yep thanks for that Stevo.
FollowupID: 402933

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:01

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:01
Absalute tradgedy for the state destroying access to such a brilliant and pituresque fishing area. Confusion And Lack Management pulled access down earlier and it was rebuilt
FollowupID: 403003

Follow Up By: Rod W - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 10:05

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 10:05
Dave, I like the full discription for CALM.
FollowupID: 403090

Sponsored Links