Suspension for Nissan Patrol

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:09
ThreadID: 29841 Views:5378 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

Whilst at Kalbarri over the New Year break a guy in the caravan park recommended Pedders in Osborne Park as someone to talke to for replacement suspension on our Patrol. He had used them some years ago and was very happy. Has anyone had any dealings with them recently? Also, what is the general consensus for best type of shockers and springs for the Patrol?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Suburbanmiddy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:17

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:17
Have a search around, there are 1000000 threads on suspension for patrols.
AnswerID: 149428

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:20

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:20
Hey Truckster

I could only find 2, this one and another. Searched for "suspension patrol"
:-)

Are you grumpy again today? ;-)
FollowupID: 402656

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:44

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:44
Search round here stinks, just been searching for one of my old replies to this hourly asked question, just found it after searching 700 pages in archives...
FollowupID: 402665

Follow Up By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 19:13

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 19:13
Am with you Truckster, I actualy mentioned it a week or so ago in another post that I don't like the new 'search' feature. I think it brings up too much useless info, I put in 'Rav 4' and it gave me a couple of thousand (overkill) posts that had words in them that contained "rav". ie. 'caRAVan', tRAVeling, etc and also eveything with a '4' in it, you know how many times the numbers '4.2TD' comes up on this site!
So David, if your reading this I reckon the old way was much better.

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 402698

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 00:48

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 00:48
Try searchin for 2 words to try and narrow it down, doesnt work. :(

even using Rav AND 4 which on most searches will find what you wanted doesnt work :(
FollowupID: 402779

Reply By: Gossy - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:24

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:24
Everyone will have their favourites but i think it comes down to price and personal choice. I have TJM XGS suspension and very pleased with it. Old Man Emu seems to have a lot of fans also (ARB). Ironman suspension seems to be good value also http://www.ironmansuspension.com/
AnswerID: 149431

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:45

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:45
Here is a generic reply I posted a while ago, some doesnt relate, but lots does.

50mm is limit in Qld and WA is becoming hard. Vic is nearly impossible to get engineers at the moment on lift kits..

Insurance jumps in $ and becomes very hard to find with over 75mm lift with lots of insurance companies. some even have a limit of 50mm and a few wont allow any lift at all.

You need an engineers certification to go 4inch or more which is becoming hard.
So start there.

What is the optimum lift? You can gauge that answer from these few questions. There is NO optimum lift answer really, there are too many variables.

Why do you need a lift? You need it or you want it?
What is your budget?
What sort of wheeling do you do?
Where do you wheel most? Outback? Mountains? Mud? Rocks?
How heavy is your truck fully loaded?
Do you tow regularly? What do you tow? How heavy is what you tow?
How many people usually travel in car?
What is the car mainly used for? Weekdays, occasional weekender? Weekend warrior only?
What accessories do you have fitted? Heavy front end, heavy rear with LRT, wheel carriers etc
What accessories do plan to have fitted in future?
What size tires do you run?
What size tires do you plan to run?

There is no hard and fast answer to the "optimum" lift size, there are numerous variables but you can get a start from these questions...

IMHO, with a GU, considering you can fit 36's with a 3inch lift, you dont really need more than that unless your truck weight 4.5ton like Roachies and tows the QE2.

What is good what is bad in Shocks and Springs??
You will get - and + stories on every single brand of shock and spring out there.

Shocks:
IMHO, you cant go wrong with OME Nitrochargers for the price, backup, warranty, and service.
If your after the better quality, go with LTR's, they are great. I run them with a 4nich lift and love them.

If you want the best in shocks, go KONI but you will pay for it. I have run them with a 2inch lift in the past, and would run them again tomorrow.

TJM XGS is very good also for the price. Again, I have run these when I had only the 2inch lift.

I had ranchos with a 6+inch lift, and they died 4 times, and others in our club have suffered same fate on GQ/GUs

Springs:
Dobinson or Kings are the best, tell them the answers to all the questions above and they can match a set of springs and shocks together, which is the most important part - MATCHED SHOCKS AND SPRINGS!

Good luck.
AnswerID: 149437

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:48

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:48
G'day

I have a GUIV diesel. I replaced the shock absorbers with good quality ones very early in the vehicles life ( in my case OME ) and added a set of rear PolyAirs to assist with load carrying/towing (from new).

All works fine. As the Ks increase I will look at a spring and shock absorber replace when the current OME's wear out or I detect some spring sag. Which ever occurs first.

I will still maintain standard suspension heights even with replacement springs. My experience with Peddars shock absorbers on a 4WD has not been of a positive nature. The most readily available shock absorber seem to be the Munro brand.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 149481

Sponsored Links