Overdrive on or off

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:05
ThreadID: 29858 Views:1715 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have just got a 2003 patrol Auto
I was wandering if any one knows that while driving on the beach is it better to have the overdrive off while driving along in drive?
Not used to the Auto's
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:16

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:16
I suspect the load on the transmission would be enough to prevent the overdrive engaging when i sand.
AnswerID: 149516

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 01:00
Corny, I usually switch it off when in high range 4WD.

I have found it easy if things get boggy or there are a few steep hills to go straight to low range but leave it in drive with overdrive on and just let the trans do the work. Much much much easier than changing gears in a manual, and no trying to guess which gear you should be in. Its a bit like having an auto focus camera, just "point and shoot". Just don't forget to shift into neutral before trying to select into, or out of, low range.

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 149531

Follow Up By: Muzzgit (WA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 01:54

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 01:54
I should have added that if you work the trans on beaches in high range it will get hot, so be kind and let it rest every couple of hours.
FollowupID: 402800

Reply By: desert - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:36

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:36
My understanding is that the "overdrive" is not really an overdrive at all. What I mean is, it is not a seperate gear ratio, rather a lock-up clutch on the torque converter. There are 3 forward ratio's and the lock-up switch, which to all intents and purposes, feels like another gear. I have heard that in high load situations, ie, high range on sand, this lock-up clutch will burn out and not function. Expensive. Save the "overdrive" button for highway cruise or low load conditions, just like you would with overdrive in a manual ge
AnswerID: 149553

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:58

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:58
No, there is a 4th. The lock-up will come in and out in 3rd as well under certain conditions (over 8KPH for instance) when O/D is locked out.

After fitting a Auto Trans. Temp Gauge and see what use of O/D does to temperatures when it is operating unlocked I now only use O/D at highway speeds. Certainly would not use it on the beach.
FollowupID: 402835

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:44

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:44
Have been told when on sand in an auto to lock into 2nd and leave there to stop the trannie hunting between 2nd and 3rd and 4th. Will burn out clucthes very quickly and as said above would definately leave overdrive in the off position (wont go into overdrive anyway while locked in 2nd). Even though the auto will change up and down when required why put extra stress on the clutches, I dought unless you were on a beach which the sand is that compacted that you would even get into drive any way.I was told this by 2 4wd training course blokes and I know that my mate locks his 4.5 petrol patrol in 2nd when we are up at stockton beach. ( newcastle). Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 149652

Sponsored Links