have yo u used one of these??

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 09:55
ThreadID: 29869 Views:3791 Replies:10 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
G'day every mad person out there!! found these water tanks on the web,al sorts of sizes shapes, molds yada yada yada...their in Qld?? . they fit onto the roof - flat!! or behind cargo barriers between the seats,under cars....everywhere...just wondering if anyone has these and what they're like...intending to get the 67lt?? one that fits on the roof rack flat...about $270....or if you know of other types you can get,,,cheers....laura
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 09:57

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 09:57
Laura

MDRP.......

(More details required please)...

eg: website would be a good starting point...

Thanks

Roachie
AnswerID: 149578

Follow Up By: flora - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:29

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:29
oh yeah hey!! im trying to find the web site now...one we looked at was motorcare.com.au where the tanks were hidden in the rear left panel...another was 4wdinteriors.com ...ooohh!!! i cant find the one im thinking of......aaaahhhh!!!!! dont worry found it....opposite lock.com.au (im not going insane - just insane already!!!) hope thats some more help.....laura
FollowupID: 402851

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:34

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:34
laura,
I've always been a bit dubious about the bladder ones, in case they rub through and leak.....especially the ones that are designed/shaped to fit in the rear quarter panels. Imagine what a pain in the arse they would be if they leaked. In my case the whole back would have to be dismantled, a job of at least 4 hours!!!
The ones that go across the floor behind the drivers seat might be good if you don't have rear seat passengers (eg: kids), they'd be no good in my case as there would be little feet trampling over the bladder all the time and it's life expectancy would be measurable in nano-seconds!!! hahaha
FollowupID: 402853

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:39

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:39
"In my case the whole back would have to be dismantled, a job of at least 4 hours!!! "

Not to mention the dance of electric death when all your accessories shorted out!

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 402903

Follow Up By: flora - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:45

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:45
pete,
what are those polyairs??? 5 tents what on earth are you doing with 5 tents!!!!
FollowupID: 402905

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 17:21

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 17:21
Ah you have been looking in my profile page.

Polyairs = air bag spring assistance

5 tents - sorry old information, we now have 6! I can't help myself as technology and design improves. We started with a K-Mart special dome, got two more for the kids, moved on to two external frame poly canvas for longer stays, then back to a better and larger dome for shorter stops and recently bought a Coleman Northstar 8 which has been the best so far and will probably be the last.

We are going to have a garage sale next month to get rid of a full set of excess and superseded camping gear and still have enough to camp in style and comfort.

FollowupID: 402929

Follow Up By: rolande- Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:02

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:02
G'Day Flora and Roachie,

I tried out one of the opposite lock tanks while in Mildura over the chrissy hols.

The one with the cutouts for the wheel arch look to be made for the Patrol. They fit perfectly width wise and the filler sits just at the same height as the top of the back seat.

The hose and tap can exit under the seat back so when you open the rear door on the drivers side the tap is just there. PERFECT.

This tank was 55litres and $325, you can get the 45litre with no wheel arch cutout for $285. Very easy to fit to a cargo barrier or just to the back seat mounts.

Planning to get one before our May trip.

Hope this helps

Rolande
FollowupID: 403167

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:15

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:15
flora.

Keep in mind the weight when full.
There are some that can fit behind the frond seats on the floor. A much lower centre of gravity.
I have one of the "bladder" type and it took some time to get rid of the tast it left in the water.
Good option though.

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 149584

Follow Up By: flora - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:46

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:46
yeah we were abit wary of the taste and puncture thing too..the wieght up top never realy thought of it because its very flat and not very high and has its weight spread out.these ones we like will fit behind our 2 girls car seat straps...we measured....the one with the wheel arch shape will fit perfect!! comes with hose etc to fill and empty!!
FollowupID: 402855

Reply By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:47

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:47
I agree with Winn... you really want avoid that kind of weight on the roof.. (although the higher you put it the better pressure you will have without a pump) any of the platic/rubber ones will have a taste problem and you need to be mindfull of maintenance of them too. any water tank is likely to have a build up of algae etc. you will need to be able to access them so you can flush them out with something like Miltons (used to clean baby bottles primarily) and then ideally you want to be able to air them out and keep them dry when not in use, so I like the idea of the bladder on the floor in the back or something similar.
Personally I think they are pretty much a gimmick, you can buy a 25L square water container with tap fitting etc from any camping shop even K mart for about $15-$20 whats wrong with them? I put one or two in the back and fix it to the cargo barrier, I have a food grade hose running from it to near the rear doors and a $2 tap from a garden shop. works perfectly and is gravity fed.
I like the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid) th emore complicated, the more to go wrong, and when it comes to water.. you can't afford to loose it down the inside . If i go remote I seperate my water into at least 2 containers (all eggs in one basket principle)
AnswerID: 149590

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:58

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:58
I'm with you Coyote . 25 litre square plastic containers with taps . I have four for desert trips or I can cut it down to one for weekends . Much more versatile .
Cheers
FollowupID: 402863

Follow Up By: myfourby - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:16

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:16
I agree with KISS - however I have an 80l bladder in the rear foot well that I have arranged a strip of carpet around as protection. Did a lap around OZ last year without any probs and loved using it - no taste problems.

We decided on the bladder because of space requirements - the bladder gave us the capacity in a very small space and kept the weight low. We also had 2 20l plastic jerry's in the back as backup. We found accessing water from the bladder to be so easy - just open the rear door and flop out a hose - there it is! If we were at a campsite that we couldn’t get the car near - we'd use one of the 20l jerry's - KISS in action.

I'd recommend a bladder to anyone.

-myfourby
FollowupID: 402865

Follow Up By: gramps - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:21

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:21
Used 10L spring/mineral water jobbies straight from supermarket. Stack OK behind front seats. Guaranteed OK as far as water quality is concerned . Throwaway items so no need to clean. Costs depend on how often you travel :)))
FollowupID: 402868

Follow Up By: techie - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 13:38

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 13:38
I have a 24l plastic drum and put a tyre valve in it. 3/4 water and pump up at servo. water and pressure. trying to fit converter/ heater to use as shower.
Techie.
FollowupID: 402881

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 14:02

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 14:02
What a Cunning Stunt (don't try and ay that when you've had a couple of coldies... could be trouble) there techie love the idea.. please tell me more.. where/how did you mount the tyre valve and what kind of pressure do you find is safe/satisfactory?
FollowupID: 402884

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:10

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:10
Drill hole on the centre of the lid is easiest to mount the valve.
Don't need a servo for this one. We've all got a 12volt compressor don't we?
Find an all metal stem from old style tubes, least ways that's what we do!!
Hardest part is getting the nut undone on the old valve stem!!
If you can score a spare lid from an old broken container, even better. Just swap the valved lid from container to container.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 402895

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:43

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:43
When I was working for a landscaper we did the same thing with our sprayers because we were too lazy to pump them up! Mag wheel valves from your local tire shop - about $4 each, one small hole in the drum and you are in business.

Cheers

Pete

FollowupID: 402904

Follow Up By: techie - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:09

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:09
I glued the lid on (It kept popping with pressure) and put valve in middle of lid.
Turn drum on side and fill 90% water/ beer (that got some attention).
put tap on and inflate.
Have to check the pressure next time. (gotta get a 12V compressor)

At present trying to put a Heat exchanger (using engine coolant) in to heat up for hot shower.
Techie
FollowupID: 403024

Reply By: dags666 - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:38

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:38
just a reminder for every litre of water you carry it adds one kilo of wieght dosnt matter where you put it dags
AnswerID: 149597

Follow Up By: gramps - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:30

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:30
Agree dags, but water is a must have regardless of weight :)
FollowupID: 402869

Follow Up By: flora - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 14:44

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 14:44
when you've got 2 little kids....boy do they need water....dont care how heavy it is as long as we dont run out!!!
FollowupID: 402891

Reply By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:52

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:52
I have one I had made locally, from food grade plastic. I think Mackay camping and Canvas is the name of the place that did the welding of the plastic.

I would never put one on the roof. Mine fits in the rear footwell. Works a treat and keeps weight low but tastes of plastic after a while.
AnswerID: 149598

Reply By: johannagoanna - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:24

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:24
Hi, I have a 35L Flexitank that lays across the width of our Pathfinder, in the cargo space. We have it ontop of our draws, and just behind the second row of seats. The tube and tap reach to the rear of the vehicle, with an extra piece of tubing (about 30cm), added so it reaches out and over the rear bumper. We have had this tank since September last year. I find this item invaluable.

Basically it takes up not much space, we keep our sleeping bags, and jackets on top (light weight stuff). We have done about 5 trips with it so far, and shows no sign of wear or rubbing. This amount of water does us nicely for drinking for at least 1 week, providing we use river/tap water for washing, cooking etc.

Initially there was a taste, immediately after we bought it. The manufacturers recomment rinsing it several times with water and bicarb., which we did about 5 times before the water lost the taste. I then filled it with water a few times, let it sit for a few days, and then emptied (on the garden of course!). We have NEVER had a taste to our water!

After use it is rinse again with water and bicarb., and stored flat with the top removed (again, we have had no bugs or anything!). We do normally fill it up once it has been put in the car, using a hose, just to avoid carrying 35kg to the car (think dead body here, as it would be very floppy! - not that I know what it would be like to carry a dead body!).

If I was to purchase this again, I would probably go for the bigger one (55L), just for the convenience of not having to go to the river for water for the washing and cooking! When we go to the centre later this year, I intend to also carry a couple of the big plastic containers of 'bottled water' that you can buy in the supermarket (about 20L I think!) That should do us nicely!

Hope this helps, and if I can be of further help, please don't hesitate to contact me - Jo

AnswerID: 149601

Follow Up By: flora - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 14:39

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 14:39
thanks that great info. dunno why people buy tanks and never wash them out - no wonder people complain about the taste!!!how many people did the 35lt do..we have 2 adults and 2 kids (2yrs and 5months) and thinking of going the 55lt or slightly bigger.......do mind me asking how much you paid...the one that we like (the wheel arched one) is about $270-$290...cant remember......
and for everyone who says to buy the normal water tanks from kmart....we are only doing this option because of space and filling in a hole where not much else can go....plus its not bulky!!! sure sure about the dead body!!!!!!carrying 35lt would make someone carry your own dead body!!!!
we also have a 20lt shower bag type of thing with a really small head on it picked it up for $10...hangs in a tree to warm up.....kinda like our camping sink....fill it up and leave it in the sun...even when its 47 degrees its still not really hot!!!!!!!thought it was a bargain though!!
FollowupID: 402889

Follow Up By: johannagoanna - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 16:10

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 16:10
Our 35L does a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids/4 & 6) with drinking water for 1 week. We do also drink soft drinks and alcohol, hehehehe!!!

We paid about $120 trade, I think.

We have one of those solar showers, and mine never gets hot - helps if it didn't rain everytime we go camping, I suppose! I actually fill it with cold water and then add a few billies of hot water - I don't like cold showers much!

HTH - Jo
FollowupID: 402911

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:37

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:37
Getting 2 of these tanks in the Troopy.

water tanks

Can't see any disadvantage and being 75mm thick and 1000mm x 600mm, IMHO they are an efficient use of space. Will sit vertical under windows down each side behind seats (3 seater).

It will give me 80lts of water in 2 separate tanks and they are less likely to puncture than the bladder type.

Cost is $275 each which is still cheaper than a stainless steel underbody 55lt tank for $1000 fitted. Should have no problems with taste like the poly one under my camper.

John

P.S. I think the 67lt will be too big and heavy and less flexible than having 2 x 40lts. Obvioulsy cost is an issue.

AnswerID: 149668

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:10

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:10
As part of my storage system I have built a shelf behind the rear seats which holds 6 x 10lt plastic water containers and other stuff. They are easy to remove and easy to handle.

Then I have 2 x 20lt plastic water jerries on the trailer which I fit with a caravan manual water pump when stationary.

I try to make the camping thing as easy as possible
AnswerID: 149697

Follow Up By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:22

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:22
Willem
Got me thinking now.....
are these just the 10lt plastic small jerry shape ones or something else.

John
FollowupID: 403013

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:32

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:32
Hi John

No they are not the Jerrycan type plastic containers but they are not as light as the Shop Water ones you buy in the throw away containers

These are similar to the Jerrycan type but of lighter construction and are white. They do not have a tap valve at the bottom.

I bought them at Supercheap somewhere in Melbourne for around the $7 mark
FollowupID: 403015

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 00:15

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 00:15
flora
have a look at post 15850

Hi Willem I had a 85 L flexitank from ARB it layed across the floor behind the front seats in a frame under a fails floor raped in rubber it did around 4 trips one large trip across oz we followed all the cleaning instruction and was OK and water tasted OK when filled from tap (Perth) then before the trip across oz we filled it out of our rain water tank, by the time we had got to SA the water started to taste funny by the time we were in VIC 2 weeks later you could not drink the water. after cleaning and filling out of tap (town Water) all OK. Then a couple of weeks ago we had a inch of water in the foot well check the bladder and it had a small hole in it at the end. E-mailed float pac to see how i could repair it or if someone in WA could all i was told was to go to Clark Rubber and get a pool patch, I was worried about the two linings, had a go anyway week later i filled it up only to fined a small hole in the other end, drain all the water (waste) and checked it out the two linings had come apart, by this time i had had it so i cut the $200.00 odd bladder open and found the inner lining damaged, on one side the side repaired their were four tears only one on the outside there would of been on way of repairing this from the out side Spoke to ARB and they had never heard of it happen ? Anyway long story but i would have to agree with Crackles I'm going back to several smaller containers so we can not lose all our water supplies in one go Good luck Richard ps it hard learning the hard way

go small and many

regards

Richard
AnswerID: 149752

Follow Up By: flora - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:47

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:47
not good!!we weren't going arb nut the opposite lock ones which dont have a bladder...but since starting this forum we may be going camper trailer...still havent decided...so if we do the room factor wont be a problem...thanks hey Richard............laura
FollowupID: 403078

Reply By: scottp - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:56

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:56
For any one who has a tray back ute, Go to the local plumbing supplies and buy pipe and fittings. (eg; 100mm 150mm 250mm pvc pipe) with inlet and tap.This uses up the space between the chassis and the tray body

Seen the same thing used around the perimiter of roof racks.

Don't use the cheap 90mm stormwater pipe as it is not strong enough.

can be set up as seperate tanks which you can connect or disconnect with valves and is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying tanks, just takes a bit of knowhow and some time.

AnswerID: 149788

Sponsored Links