No 1 Rabbit proof fence

Submitted: Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 10:58
ThreadID: 29909 Views:3732 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,
Can anyone tell me if the No 1 Rabbit proof fence, starting/ ending at Starvation Bay in WA, can be travelled along. That is, do I need a permit to follow it or is it totally closed to the public.
Thanks Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: revhead307 - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:23

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:23
G'day, the rabbit proof goes past about 5km outside Yalgoo WA. as far as im aware its a private road maintained by the Murchison regional vermin council (in our region only).

scroll to the bottom of the link below for info.

give Mt Magnet shire a call and they will let you know the status of the road.


AnswerID: 149820

Reply By: Phil 20 - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 13:07

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 13:07
HI there

There are a number of RPF's. and people get them mixed up.
It's possible to follow the old number 1 for parts of the way in farming country but it isn't considered an RPF anymore so it could be hard to track down.
As you head north you reach station country although it’s visible in places it does disappear and reappear. Further north again you hit desert country and it’s even more difficult to trace.
Do you need permits? Yes if you have to access it via Aboriginal reserves and then there is permission from farmers and station owners.

It’s worth trying to tackle some of it but lots of planning will be needed, I recommend the station Desert section would be the best end to tackle first.

AnswerID: 149837

Reply By: disco driver - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 19:54

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 19:54
Hi Steve,
The State Barrier Fence reserve (approx 10-20 metres) either side of the fence is a closed area and permits are required, or at least they were when I worked for the Ag Dept a few years ago. These permits are independent of any permits needed for travelling on indigenous lands.

Tracks outside the 20 metre reserve are generally on Station or farm properties and as such need the landowners permission to acess them.

Driving along the fence without a permit may result in prosecution should you be caught.

I note that you are in Albany so I suggest that you contact one of the Agriculture Protection Officers at Dept of Agriculture Albany for the latest information in regard to fence access.

It is true that there are a number of RP fences shown on maps but the currently maintained Barrier fence starts at Starvation bay and continues through to the Zuytdorp cliffs north of Kalbarri.

Hope this is of help.

AnswerID: 149903

Reply By: Steve from Albany - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 09:54

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 09:54
Thanks for your responses guys. I'll get in touch with the APB here in Albany and see what they have to say
Regards Steve
AnswerID: 149974

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 11:18

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 11:18
Steve from Albany, if & when you travel this route you should record it on Ozi Ex & upload the plot here on ExOZ so we all can share this piece of history. Thanks in advance.
AnswerID: 149986

Sponsored Links