Saturday Morning Ramble on Tyres

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:07
ThreadID: 29947 Views:3048 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Roachie is right, with the type of work that I do the vehicle, tyres and set up have to be able to able to keep going.

Having the STT's it is one thing that I don't have to worry about. I know that the less tread on the tyres the more the chance of a puncture. For this reason by the end of May I will have to have 6 new tyres regardless of what the tyres are like then. As of May I will be away for another 5 months of out back travel and the last thing I need is to fix or replace tyres.

I have said in previous post that Coopers gave me the 6 tyres to try and report back. I think that the tyres that I have had a pretty rough time, not through hard driving but the amount of driving in a short amount of time. The vehicle didn't help either with the weight and suspension set up.

In May I will have to get new tyres, to go back to BFG's or stay with Coopers, that will depend a lot on what Coopers will do. If they come to the party and supply me with tyres I would be mad not to take up the offer. If they don't I will still go with the Coopers.

When I do the trips I have a mixture of people, vehicles and of course tyres. Each driver has his/her style of driving and each vehicle is packed at set up different. The Canning last year, 6 vehicles MTR's BFG's and Cooper's. Patrols, 100Series and the Office Block, AKA, The Troopie. The only things that they had in common is that the tyres were all new, we all ran the same tyre pressure on the trip, we didn't speed, the vehicles were packed to the max and at the end of the trip no punctures. I tell a lie, a vehicle got a flat at the caravan park at Alice Springs, a nail, but that was after the trip had finished. You can't help bad luck. While on the subject of tyre pressure, and this is my own personal thoughts and experience. Run on a pressure that you find the best for your vehicle. Avoid the extreme high and low pressures and only let the tyres down enough to do the job. If I can drive on sand at 18psi I will not let the tyres down to 15psi just because some one said that it is better. I like to adjust the pressure to suit the current conductions.Most of the time I will run 38psi, front and back, on black top and dirt.

In fact I can't remember the last time there was a puncture on a trip. I put this down to that drivers are more aware of tyre pressure and the type of tyres they have on the vehicle to do the driving they do the most.
What I am saying, it does not really matter what brand of tyre that you run, they will all work well, as long as they are looked after.The type of tread pattern is a hole new ball game. As far as the Cooper's go I could probably use the ST's but I think that the STT's gives the Troppie a better image.

Tyres are the most talked about thing on any vehicle, 2wd and 4wd alike.We complain about how much they cost and how quick they wear out.The only thing between you and the road is the tyres and they are the things that keep us on the road, wet or dry on the straight or cornering. Add now the fact that you want to take the family with 2ton of vehicle up a steep track that it is very hard to walk and we still complain.If I ever get reincarnated I do not want to come back as a 4WD tyre, regardless of what brand.

I started this post as a reply to Roachie's post to my post on the Cooper's up date but now has turned into a Saturday morning ramble on tyres.

Wayne

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (SA) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:57

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:57
Well said Wayne. The other thing that is rarely mentioned but also has an influence on what pressure to run is tyre size. I hazard to guess that I'd be one of the dying breed still using 750x16 tyres and some of the pressures I have people recommend to use would definately not suit my size tyres with there high aspect ratio and narrow foot print. Other than sand conditions I will typically be always running higher pressures than anyone else.This is due to the sidewall bulge that you get running at low pressure. These wide low(er) profile tyres that the majority of people now run aren't as susceptable to side wall bagging as the 750's (235's).

As you say Wayne everyone has a different vehicle setup, different amounts of weight, different tyre sizes, different tyre pressures and hopefully different wives!!

If there was one perfect tyre size and brand to suit all 4x4's, then how boring would the conversation around the camp fire be.... :)
AnswerID: 149998

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:54

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:54
Hughesy,

Just some meore reasons why 750R16 need more pressure than tubeless:

Main difference with 750R16 is that they all have tubes. The tube and casing generate friction if you run pressures too low, and with the extra rubber of the tube, they build up more heat than a tubeless tyre.

Also some people put talcum powder between tube and casing so the tube is less likely to fatigue, but if you run the pressures low in sand, the tyre can spin on the wheel and rip the valve out of the tube.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 403416

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 21:43

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 21:43
One of my flats down the beach may have been caused by this. I had very low pressures which I needed to clear a steep sand cutting and i had been to slack to pump them back up to 15. When it went down and came partially off the rim I found it had a tube. The other flat seemed like a failed sidewall patch probably from flexing sidewalls with the tyres down for beachwork
FollowupID: 403447

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:25

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:25
Wayne

Your pics in the other post show significant chipping on the STT's.

My old style STT's seem to have worn OK and apart from two torn lugs and some scuffing, they look in good shape. There is quite a bit of sidewall damage but no cuts.

Initially my problem was the hairline cracks in between the lugs and now ofcourse the cracks appearing in the bead

On my first 4x4, a Suzuki, I ran Jeep Service bar tread tyres and I went to a lot of places in them. Since then I have run Armstrong Rhinos, Dick Cepek Gumbo Mudders, Yokohamas, BFG Mud Terrains, Dunlop Super Grippers, Bridgestone Desert Duellers, Hankooks, Toyos, and more that I cannot recall. They all did a reasonable job but the most punctures were with Bridgestone Radials(here I blame myself as I couldnt get off road tyres at that time and went into the Kimberley with the Bridgestones...........14 punctures in 12 days!)

Tyres are tyres are tyres and our lives depends on them. These days they are built far better than say 20 years ago

I will let you all know how my new STT's go after this travelling season which will probably add another 25,000km of outback roads, tracks and extreme offroad to the GQ
AnswerID: 150014

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 21:46

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 21:46
I heard motorung journo Will Hagon say that for a mass produced product Tyres have a lot of human portions to their manafacture - could have something to do with such varying accounts of the same manafacurers
FollowupID: 403448

Sponsored Links