HZ 75 transfer case problem?!?!?!

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 13:40
ThreadID: 29950 Views:1885 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My HZ 75 had a hard live before I bought it which I'm starting to find out more and more. The front and rear drive shafts have been replaced and the wheelbearings and a few other things. It was running fine until we did some 4Wd stuff just around Bribie after Christmas.
Now I have a clonk while taking off or going in reverse which sounds like universal joints. But I went under neath and had a look it feels like it is where the drive shaft goes into the transfercase. There is about 20mm or more freeplay and it sounds like the mild version of the same clonk when I take off.
I just spend $3000 on the car and I really don't feel like spending something like that again.
I wonder if that play is normal or excessive and if so is it smarter to buy a rebuild transferbox or repair this one?

I feel better already :-)
cheers
Reiner/Brisbane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tour boy - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 13:55

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 13:55
Hi, from what you are describing it sounds like it is just the rear output bearing, common if the vehicle has done a few kays or has been lifted. Easy to do shouldn't be more than about $100.
regards
Tour Boy
AnswerID: 150004

Reply By: Nav 8 - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:56

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:56
The clunk in forward and reverse you describe sounds to me to be more likeley the common old fault that these gearboxes have. The constant mesh gear from the gearbox mainshaft to the transfer box is on a spline and this spline together with the spline in the gear wear causing a lot of play This play manifests itself on forward or reverse as a clunk as the play is taken up until such time as the spline wears right off, and the gear spins on the shaft causeing no drive at all. If this is the problem a gearbox overhaul is required and will be expensive. Regards Nav.
AnswerID: 150020

Follow Up By: beanz2 - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 03:07

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 03:07
One thing that can be done to delay replacing the gearbox output shaft is installing a long splined transfer input gear that engages a longer portion of the splines. If I am not mistaken, Don Kyatt sells these. But I agree with Nav8, the output shaft is likely worn.

Dave
FollowupID: 403502

Sponsored Links