1HZ Glow plug Timer

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:38
ThreadID: 29951 Views:13980 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Last couple of days the old Cruiser has been taking about 4 cranks to start instead of the usual "flick the key and away she goes".Put the multi meter on the glow plugs and it only glows for about 1.5 secs before they shut off(you can hear relay kick out).Motor was warm,not regestering on the temp gauge(is cold most of time when hard to start) .Glow plugs check out o.k.I guess these motors have a coolant sensor for time of glow,wonder if it could be this??
Vehicle is still under warranty but would like some ideas to try before booking it in.
hzj105 '03 Thanks Nick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nautek - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:28

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:28
Hi Nick

I had a HJ60 diesel. Used to blow glowplugs often as they were I think from memory a 6 volt plug.
It turned out that the circuit board that controlled the plugs (situated at your feet) I think it was passenger side but a long time ago.
As I was saying this circuit board was shot and a new one was $800 odd

I replaced the glow plugs with 12 volt plugs and fitted a push button on the dash. I utilised the existing relay.

I never had to replace another glow plug. I used to hold the button in and count to 10

I lived at Kingaroy and it got pretty cold in the winters.

Hope this is of some help

Allan
AnswerID: 150016

Reply By: Nav 8 - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:41

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:41
Gday Nick,,,,Did you check the glow plugs while still in the engine? I have had at times checked the plugs with a multi meter and they checked ok but some were in fact burnt out when checked individualy accross a battery. I think the timer works off the resistance from the glow plugs and if one or two are burnt out it gets a false reading and shuts off early. If you check the plugs accross a battery be carefull as they are very low voltage and you only need a touch for them to glow or you will burn them out. Regards Nav.
AnswerID: 150017

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 01:31

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 01:31
Putting them straight across the battery is a bit risky. I would use a test lamp in series, the lamp bulb schould glow if the plug is OK.
The manual suggests using an Ohmmeter to check the plugs, you do have to remove all wires or busbars before measuring the plugs.
Klaus
FollowupID: 403498

Reply By: NUTS! - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:52

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:52
Nick,
I have an 80series with 1HZ and have the same problem. However mine only takes a bit longer to crank 1st thing in the mornings or when its winter. I usually glow them twice by turning ignition off and back on again before cranking and it alwasys starts 1st hit of the key....
I havent bothered to check mine as i thought this was normal, so ill be interested to hear if you find a fix for this....!
Cheers
NUTS!
AnswerID: 150019

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 21:25

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 21:25
Not normal. My 80 sits for 2 weeks out of 3 and starts first time every time on the first start up
FollowupID: 403444

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 21:45

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 21:45
G'day Nick,
How's your battery??..
About a year ago, my Patrol (TD42T) was displaying the symptoms you describe, & I "chased my tail" for a while checking glow-plugs etc., before I worked out that the battery had dropped a cell... might be worth checking (w/- a load tester)...

Regards,
Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 150058

Sponsored Links