Zodiacs

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 11:57
ThreadID: 29972 Views:1973 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone carry one of these in their travels. They have come a long way with new material and welding technology. Seems tough a nails now and easy to setup. Will carry a 8hp.

Looked at the 2.85mt (31kgs) which lives in a 1mt x .5mt x .3mt bag. Got the sales guy to setup it up & pack it again from scratch and was pleasantly surprised. Everything lives in the bag, very simple.

This thing could live on the front section of the roof rack out of the way when touring. I can still fit 2 space cases, 2 jerries, oztent and firewood etc.

Beside the puncture issues (repair kits have come a long way too) it could be the go for those wanting to carry a boat for exploring or light fishing, but is easy to store.

I'm trying to avoid carrying a tinny or portabote.

OK now I've been suckered in by the sales spiel - let's hear it.
John

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 12:38

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 12:38
Hi there,
We used an Achilles inflatable on a yacht for years. They store easily can be inflated easily and if you go to the expense of a keel and floorboards, row and drive well.
Punctures are the big worry. I copped a puncture because the inflatable was pushed against a dag of paint sticking out from the hull; this would be rare but shows that you need to be careful with all pointy objects. Snags in rivers require care barnacles on reefs are not smart as well. As you say repairs are not too ardous but if not done with top materials and with cleanliness and care will lift in time. inflatables are really stable in most conditions meaning that they are easily boarded from a landing or the sea itself when swimming. Great as a dive platform or swimming base.
If not secured in a high wind because of their bouyancy they go tatas yery quickly down wind and kids would get a frightening rapid free trip in this instance. Under motor they need careful balancing upwind due to a tendency to rear up and turn oven in their length. Under some conditions in a cross sea they can roll as well if not balanced. Best of all when swamped they float; as they will with one section deflated and even upturned.
I recon that 6HP is an ideal motor size for safety and to save your back. I used 4hp but found it a but under powered.
With a little care it should give you good service.
Best of luck,
Camper
AnswerID: 150137

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 13:17

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 13:17
I know someone selling one second hand great condition, no longer needed from Darwin, if you're interested.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 150141

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 13:51

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 13:51
Got any croc teeth marks in it?
AnswerID: 150148

Sponsored Links