Part-time 4wd conversion to 80 series

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 14:39
ThreadID: 29976 Views:10637 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any feedback on fitting a part-time 4wd conversion kit to an 80 series Landcruiser.
I'm interested to know if fitting one of these kits reduces the backlash in thefront drivetrain and improves fuel economy.

Does anyone have first hand experience? Both positive and negative would be appreciated.

Brett
T/D 80 Series
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alex H - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 17:25

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 17:25
Try Michael Clode at Armadale 4wd Service Centre - www.armadale4wd.com.au email info@armadale4wd.com.au
He did the conversion on his 80 series about 5 years ago, so he should be able to give you good feedback. If you're in WA he'll probably do the conversion for you too. (I am in no way connected with Armadale 4wd Service Centre and I get no back-handers for referring people to him).
Cheers,
Alex
AnswerID: 150166

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 22:52

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 22:52
Thanks Alex,

I will give him a call and see what he thinks.
I am in Bundaberg so a bit far away to have him do the job. Although any excuse to head west I reckon.

Brett
FollowupID: 403640

Reply By: Beast of Bodmin - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 22:31

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 22:31
G'day.
If you're in Vic, try Total Traction Drivelines in Moorabin.
Fantastic place, very knowledgeable due to working at diff-lock manufacturer - Jack McNamara.
Just had him fit a TJM locker to my 80 and l know he will have the answers.

IMHO, the backlash is a combination of centre diff, driveshafts & uni's, but mainly front axle diff pinion, cv balls wearing channels in the cv outerand especially the drive flanges worn out.

Cheers
BoB
AnswerID: 150216

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 22:50

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 22:50
Thanks Bob,
I am in Bundaberg so a bit far away.
I agree with the problem being in the drivetrain and have narrowed it down to the Cv's but I am thinking more long term savings by not having the drivetrain wearing out and needing to be maintained if I stop it all spinning all of the time and only engage it when I need it.

How do you like the new TJM locker? I am now officially jealous.

Brett
FollowupID: 403639

Follow Up By: Beast of Bodmin - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 07:20

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 07:20
Hi Brett,
The locker has only been in about 6wks, so not much experience with it yet. Certainly took out some of the diff noises though! Total traction also swapped the pinion brg for a patrol type, as they are much better and fitted a solid spacer, not that crushable type. Back end should be bullet proof.

Not really having the weather where l can get into slimy stuff at the mo, but come winter it'll get a good workout.

I noticed a Yank website selling uni joint front driveshafts as an upgrade to the cv's. Try a google on it, as l lost the link. That would be good too IMHO.

Cheers
Bob
FollowupID: 403675

Reply By: TJF Mate! - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 17:52

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 17:52
Brett,

I am looking at the same converstion for my 1996 80 Series. I was recently in Bendigo Victoria and spoke to a salesman at ARB. He said he could do the converstion for around $1,200. He said the converstion would save a few mile per gallon, but would not commit to any real figures or provide any details. On their web site, Armadale 4WD Service Centre quote a fuel saving of 10% after the conversion (http://www.armadale4wd.com.au/products/part.htm). I have made inquiries with Brett at "On Track 4WD" 66 Moss Street, Slacks Creek Brisbane Ph 3290 2533, regarding the conversion, but I am still waiting a responce! Goodluck, I hope you find someone who has had the conversion done, I would be very interested to hear there opinions. As a side note, have you looked at Vaporate Fuel Saving System available from Repco???
AnswerID: 150351

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 09:36

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 09:36
Brett,

Had my '94 Petrol 80 series done just before Xmas and so far very pleased with the result. I originally took the car in to address a worsening transmission snatch problem and was advised to go for the part time conversion. Cost about $1300 and has certainly had a positive impact on fuel consumption as well as eliminating the ugly snatch. Granted, it will take a long time to make up the $1300, but it would have cost me about that to fix the problem and restore the original configuration anyhow. The car seems lighter to steer and a bit more enjoyable to drive.

Now the centre diff lock button engages 4wd and , of course, the hubs need to be locked. 4wd still engages automatically on selecting low 4. Only disadvantages are:

- Getting out of the car to lock hubs (very uncivilised but the kids have become experts at it on demand)

- Cost (but sounds like you are up for repairs anyhow)

- Centre diff lock now taken out of play. I guess that this makes the vehicle slightly less capable as the car now has a permanent limited slip centre diff (no expert on this but I believe that this is the way it now works).

The only other issue I have found is that it has also accentuated (but not worsened) some slop in my rear diff. I need to have this fixed but would have to have done it anyhow before we dissappear on the round Australia jaunt in the second half of this year.

Overall, very happy with the result. Not such a problem with the diesel, but anything I can do to reduce petrol consumption in mine is welcome.

Hope this helps,

Matt.
AnswerID: 150754

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 09:55

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 09:55
P.S. Only other 'downside' is and annoying workmate (GU Patrol) who keeps threatening to whip my 'Full Time 4WD' badge off with a screwdriver.
FollowupID: 404307

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 19:08

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 19:08
Hi Matt,

Thanks mate that is exactly the type of feedback I have been looking for. Your comment on the centre diff just being an LSD now intrigues me though. Surely when High 4 or Low 4 are engaged the front and rear drive trains are locked together and not slipping through an LSD.

Can anyone give feedback on this issue?

What I might do this weekend is take out the front tail shaft and lock the centre diff and go for a drive and see how much of the front drive train noise is eliminated.

Cheers,
Brett
FollowupID: 404392

Sponsored Links