CANNING & GUNBARRELL

Submitted: Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 23:18
ThreadID: 3003 Views:2006 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
We plan to do part of the Gunbarrell and Canning this year with a petrol Pajero NL. Has anyone successfully taken a good offroad trailer and what was fuel consumption.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: forge - Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 14:24

Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 14:24
GA,DAY Trixie. Sorry car,nt answer your question , but keep in mind , theres no unleded petrol at Warburton .
AnswerID: 11481

Follow Up By: Trixie - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 17:18

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 17:18
Thank you very much for your replay. We weren't aware that there was no unleaded at Warburton. We have rang the Aboriginal site near Well 33 and apparently we can order unleaded there.
FollowupID: 6444

Reply By: Bob Y. - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 18:53

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 18:53
Trixie, Have a look a POST 2729, there are for and against, for trailers on the Canning, See ya...
AnswerID: 11528

Reply By: Greg - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:01

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:01
Trixie please leave the trailer at home. Yes you can get one across most of these tracks but all you do is damage the track for others, create a lot of hard work for yourselves, and run the risk of damaging it and having to leave it behind; although a quality unit will probably survive. Take a tent or swag and enjoy the trip. An NL Pajero could expect to get around 5-6+ kpl. An auto will use more. A roof rack will also reduce the consumption and how you drive can have an effect as well.
AnswerID: 11561

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:59

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:59
Greg, no-one has provided any evidence that trailers damage tracks more than a vehicle carrying a similar load. There isn't even a plausible theory as to why this should be the case. It would seem reasonable to expect less damage when the load is spread between 6 wheels rather than four. A lot has been said on this topic already.
FollowupID: 6499

Follow Up By: Greg - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 15:17

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 15:17
Bob I have done enough four wheel driving (40 years) to know that towing a trailer across sand dunes does damage the track considerably more than just a vehicle, even if the vehicle is heavily loaded. I have done both. A well prepared vehicle driven properly will do far less damage to a dune. Whilst this is important I think it is far more important that you enjoy yourself and again I can say that a trailer in serious off roading situations increases the effort 10 fold no matter how good the vehicle or driver. In my opinion and most of my friends agree trailers should be banned from the Simpson and Canning. Trailers have there place (I have towed one for years) but to know when not to take it requires experience and common sense. Badly corrugated roads are another place where towing even the best trailers is marginal.
FollowupID: 6511

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 17:39

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 17:39
Greg, I've only had ten years experience, both with and without a trailer. With respect, I need more convincing than just your saying you 'know', because my experience doesn't bear out what you claim. The trips that I have done with the trailer have been far more comfortable, less cramped, and probably safer than those where I have loaded the same gear onto the vehicle. Trips with the trailer include Colson Track and French Line, Mt Davies Rd, Anne Beadell Hwy. By what mechanism does a trailer damage a dune?
FollowupID: 6522

Follow Up By: Greg - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 09:20

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 09:20
Bob you know that something like this is hard to quantify but it is not the trailer itself that does the damage. The laws of physics dictate that if you are towing something it places a lot more drag on the vehicle and when crossing dunes particularly like those on the Simpson and Canning this extra drag causes the vehicle to dig the dune face up. It also starts and increases the scalloping effect which is caused by not letting tyres down and poor driving techniques such as using more poor than is required. If you have towed a trailer over the Simpson I would suggest that you would have had to have a second go at many dunes and backing a trailer down a dune can be difficult. In fact trailers often have to be snatched over dunes with care. This surely is a lot more work and therefore reduces the enjoyment. As far a trailers in severe off road conditions again I have towed them and extra work required to get them through is not worth the effort just for a little bit off extra comfort. Towing a trailer through boggy conditions increases your chances of getting the vehicle badly bogged and removing a trailer from these difficult situations is quite a job. Although I am not a greeny I again have observed the additional damage this does to the environment. Tread lightly is a good philosophy to follow if we bush travellers want to continue to enjoy our travels. As far as trailers on badly corrugated roads go just have a good look in the bush on the side of the Anne Beadell or Gunbarrel. Only the best built trailers survive these conditions and even they succumb on a regular basis. Safety wise I acknowledge overloading a vehicle for these trips can be a problem but again I would prefer to do this than take a trailer. As long as you are aware of the risks you can take measures to minimise them eg drive slower. I also know that a lot of wives ( and blokes) won't go on some trips with out a bit of comfort and so many guys take the trailer and put up with the extra work.
FollowupID: 6553

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 04:47

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 04:47
No one has mentioned that trailers are actually forbidden on the sections of CSR track that pass through Cunyu Station, which is private pastoral land. Your only option with a trailer is to access the CSR via Granite Peak or Glenyle (Wells 5 & 9). You might need to take that into consideration! Check the trek note on this site for more info.
AnswerID: 11615

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 14:12

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 14:12
Hi Trixie,

You might like to ask this question at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers/ as some of their members have towed trailers on the Gunbarrell and CSR.

In all cases, the trailers are purpose built off-road set-ups being driven by experienced 4WDrivers. I recall that 2 of the trailers where a Kimberley Kamper and a Camprite. As I understand it, the Gunbarrel was fairly straight forward whilst the CSR required a lot more effort.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 11630

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser1 - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 02:48

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 02:48
This is a bit like going to another doctor for a second opinion when your own has diagnosed you with cancer!
'If you don't like the answer, go somewhere else'
Sooner or later someone will agree with you.
Fact remains, trailers damage tracks. Only people who don't believe it are those who want their trailers, regardless of consequences for others or the environment.

Insisting on 'scientific proof' or complaining about 'inadequate data' is the province of those who are neither competent or confident to make decisions.

A bit like politicians, public servants and many academics.
Oh, and trailer towers :)
FollowupID: 6597

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 15:30

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 15:30
No at all Cruiser...The question was "We plan to do part of the Gunbarrell and Canning this year with a petrol Pajero NL. Has anyone successfully taken a good offroad trailer and what was fuel consumption."

The only responses to date have been from the "anti-trailer" brigade who insist on ramming their OPINIONS down the throat of anyone who mentions towing a trailer. Clearly the pro and anti trailer factions will never agree on the issue so I don't see any point in wasting energy arguing the point.

Therefore, my only consideration in posting my reply was to direct Trixie to somewhere where I know she will get CONSTRUCTIVE answers to the specific questions she asked.

Yes, there are members of the campertrailer group who have successfully taken trailers along the routes mentioned. There are also members who would not take trailers along the same routes. There are many members towing with Pajero's who can help with advise re: fuel consumption. Also, with over 430 members there is a vast amount of in-depth knowledge of towing, trailer types etc. Trixie will at least be given an honest opinion about the capabilites, strengths and weaknesses of her specific trailer in regard to whether it is up to such a trip. Last and by no means least, IF Trixie decides to go ahead with their plan, she will at least be provided with some sensible, sound advice on preparing the trailer and vehicle.

Your assumption that Trixie will be advised by the group to go ahead and take her trailer along the Gunbarrel and CSR is both arrogant and misinformed.

Oh, and just in case you are wondering...yes I do own an offroad campertrailer and yes, I am a member of the aforementioned group.

FollowupID: 6621

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser1 - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 00:16

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 00:16
I stick by my earlier reply.
You have just spent all this time proving what I said there: looking for opinions to support the towing of trailers along the CSR. Informed debate? Honest opinions? Who from?
The argument is not about how capable, big, or strong a trailer is.
With 40 years and hundreds of thousands of miles, driving, towing and recovering, I can only come to one conclusion: trailers damage tracks.
I would always advise people to leave them behind.
FollowupID: 6654

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 01:06

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 01:06
Cruiser,

How you could possibly conclude that my reply supported your argument I'll never understand. If you want to build a new house you talk to a builder/architect etc, not a plumber. Same applies here...if you want specific info about offroad campers who better to talk to than an offroad campertrailer group.

As a said in my reply, I can't be bothered arguing with you. It's a moot point since it seems to me Trixie already has an offroad campertrailer and I doubt she or anyone other owners would turn around and sell it just because you believe trailers damage tracks, yet clearly by your own admission you cannot support your argument with facts.

We've been towing an offroad camper for many years and I don't believe they are damaging. You're entitled to your own opinion. My advise to anyone planning a trip into remote area's will always be to seek out information that will enable them to make informed decisions about their mode of travel, preparation etc.

I'd say we have reached a stalemate wouldn't you. Therefore, this will be me last post on the matter.

FollowupID: 6655

Reply By: Member - Willem- Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 13:36

Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 13:36
I hope that this thread is not dead yet! We did a north/south Canning some while back without a trailer. We saw 105 vehicles during our trek of which about 10% were towing trailers. We met up with a traveller and had a chat. He advised that he had two mates on the other side of the dune. I said OK and waited and waited and waited.......... Eventually I gave up and drove over the dune only to find two vehicles towing trailers. One was halfway up and jacknifed trying to reverse down. When I ventured my opinion about trailers on dunes the response was quite impolite. So we decided to watch these characters, both driving diesel Nissans. 5 attempts for one and 7 attempts for the other leaving great scalloped holes in the dune.
It is all a matter of physics. Your vehicle is towing a dead weight.Therefor there is more strain on the prime mover and more power and wheelspin being transferred to the ground. It is cause and effect. Not the trailer as such causing the damage but the damage caused because of the trailer AND taking a lot of the enjoyment out of your holiday.
Please leave your trailer at home for the Canning trip. Cheers,W
AnswerID: 11877

Reply By: Member - Cruiser1 - Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 19:57

Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 19:57
The prosecution rests.
No doubt the defence will respond. :)
AnswerID: 11889

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 20:17

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 20:17
I think we won our case ! :-)
FollowupID: 6993

Sponsored Links