Frazer Island

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 22:27
ThreadID: 30080 Views:1565 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am hoping to go Frazer Island in April and want to know if a 2.5 litre 2005 Subaru Outback would be adequate? I have over 20 years experience on bush trails, but 0 experience on sand, we will be travelling with 2 other vehicles both real 4 wd's.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 22:39

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 22:39
You may struggle depending on sand conditions, but only getting off and on the beach here and there and on some inland tracks, especially up near Indian head, Waddy Point. See a lot of low vehicles bogged but most who keep up momentum and have let down their tyres are usually OK.

Snatching becomes straight fwd and pretty well simple after a few times but NEVER get complacent.
AnswerID: 150689

Follow Up By: wilco - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 07:47

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 07:47
Thanks. I have plenty snatching experience.
FollowupID: 404284

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 23:43

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 23:43
Wilco, heaps of these types of vehicles go over there, but as said above, the dry sand will cause you some grief. Your low clearance will make your axles and body act as a grader. You WILL get stuck in some of the soft sand. Lowering tyre pressure (which is necessary) makes it even worse.

If you go, I'd suggest sticking to the Eastern Beach and test out the internal tracks a bit before you take them in in a big way. We all get stuck occasionalyy, but it is a real PITA to others when 'soft roaders' continually get bogged and block the internal roads.

AnswerID: 150709

Follow Up By: wilco - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 07:59

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 07:59
We are planning on staying at Eurong. So I am thinking we might catch the barge from King Fisher Bay ensuring arrival at low tide and see we go. If are getting stuck to much, hiring a fwd to get to the harder places.

What sort of damage does the grading do?

Thanks

Wilco
FollowupID: 404286

Follow Up By: Turbo Diesel - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 10:05

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 10:05
Wilco

This is where you will get into trouble is crossing the island, via central station etc. The beach at low tide is fine, just becareful and watch for washouts. Over christmas i followed a subaru outback from lake makenzie he struggled most of the way and did catch some tree roots, a few scratches, as far as i could see though he did not rip anything out from underneath. However he did flatten out the track. A little to risky for my part, staying with bigger 4wds is not really any help as they will only scull drag you across and rip your belly out. I helped one back packer out he had his troopy permanetly in high range, the tour company had somehow locked the transfer case to high range only, disaster. Personally i would not hire a car, drive your suby their and then catch a life with your mates, you will get great fuel economy.

Cheers
FollowupID: 404309

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 08:12

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 08:12
I was there over Christmas and some of the inland tracks was very very soft. Drop your tires down and keep the foot down and you should be fine
AnswerID: 150733

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 09:18

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 09:18
The PITA subarus (for that matter most PITA 4wds) are the ones who haven't done very much off road, don't let their tyres down and are continually getting bogged.
I think you will be OK. Some back packers are told by the 4wd hire company not to use 4wd. (You can have interesting conversations on the barge on the way over.)
Enjoy the island.
Others get fustrated when the same vehicle gets bogged 2 or 3 times on a soft patch and the driver just plays innocent and doesn't want to learn, saying my car is 4wd and should do this.

PS - look out for the the occasional mad back packer driver and the the sometimes equally mad tour driver. Last trip had a 100 series tour vehicle half a car length off my rear bumper for about 1k on the tracks a number of times until I could pull over for him each time. He stopped more often and for longer, so he kept catching me up!

Friend just got back in his xtrail, had a good time and no problems.
AnswerID: 150746

Reply By: brendonb - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 20:53

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 20:53
My brother inlaw & I returned from Fraser on Sat 21st, He has a Forester Turbo, Got stuck once( but blamed on me as I engaged 4wd and had to stop to do so ). He had no other problems on the inland tracks, but he wouldn't go to Indian Head. ( He knew the conditions from a previous trip )

Have fun when you go !!!

BB
AnswerID: 150879

Sponsored Links