Which Snorkel?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 14:36
ThreadID: 3009 Views:2340 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I was deciding between the Airtec and the Safari Snorkel for my GQ but then along came another brand at a much lesser price (AIRFLOW)..
Has anyone got any feedback on this brand?...
Much appreciated...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 16:06

Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 16:06
Voxson a friend of mine bought the cheaper airflow snorkel and says that he regretted it greatly as he fitted it himself (he has fitted snorkels to a majority of our friends vehicles and never had a problem with the 2 major brands). The problem being that even using their templates etc it didnt fit correctly and involved extensive modifications to do so. Aside from that he says it works fine but next time he will buy a safari or airtec snorkel as they are much easier to install and do not require any further modification for them to fit correctly.

Cheers
AnswerID: 11486

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 17:00

Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 17:00
Tony, have a friend who had a very similar experience - except that he ended up at the panelbeater as the wrong template had been supplied. Total cost of repair $1,200, of which he had no recouse to Airflow as he was fitting it himself and therefore accepted all responsibility (the argument that you shouldn't have to check that the right template was supplied fell on deaf ears). He ended up returning the snorkel and received little more than a verbal apology. He ended up having an Safari fitted professionally. Personally, I think for the small extra cost it is worthwhile to go with either of the other two. (Have heard similar stories about the 4wd systems models as well)
FollowupID: 6414

Follow Up By: Voxson - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 00:15

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 00:15
yep... 4wd systems....
thanks guys..

safari it is then.......
FollowupID: 6426

Follow Up By: Truckster - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 13:30

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 13:30
Dont think ive heard one good story about 4wd systems!

I called and emailed them for a while when lookin into suspensino lifts.

Never heard from then once!

Thats service for ya.
FollowupID: 6436

Follow Up By: Member - Keith - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 20:31

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 20:31
The Airflow snorkels looked cheap from the SA mail order supplier, but by the time I paid freight, then had to send back another item that was unsuitable, the price was not looking all that cheap. Then I decide to have the local panel shop fit it. This guy works on all the prestige vehicles...ferrari, porsche, etc, but agree to fit the snorkel never having fitted one before ( not usually required for ferraris and porsches!). Said he spent hours on the job, charged me $150 and said he would never, ever agree to fit another snorkel!! Sure, the snorkel seems to work OK. After all, there are not too many moving mechanical and electronic parts in a snorkel. The fitting into the mudguard is not neat. So in summary, next time I will buy a Safari and have a 4x4 garage fit it.
FollowupID: 6451

Follow Up By: Member - Chris - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:30

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:30
Here's a good story about 4WD systems Truckster, I've changed my suspension with them, fitted an auto LOKKA and hade numerous visits to their workshop. They've always been courteous, prompt and done good work while being reasonably priced. The staff are friendly, always willing to help and are flat out every time I've been there. I think they provide good service with a reasonably priced product, it's not always the best just because the brand is ARB or TJM or gucci etc.
FollowupID: 6477

Reply By: goodsy - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 00:44

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 00:44
Hi voxson, fitted a safari to my turbo diesel hilux today. Template was perfect, installation easy (if you have small hands). Only had experience with safari but would buy one again as the kit and instructions were excellent.
AnswerID: 11505

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 13:31

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 13:31
have a look at this

Installing a Safari Snorkel

Mate did it and did a bit of a story on his experience.
AnswerID: 11520

Reply By: Chel - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 17:35

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 17:35
We fitted a safari snorkel to our GQ, done by opposite Lock. Excellent job done cost of about $700. Tight fit and rearranging some bits under bonnet to get it to fit. A marked improvement with performance.
AnswerID: 11527

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 21:36

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 21:36
According to tests to date, snorkels only decrease performance.

Nobody has yet managed to prove otherwise. All current air systems are tuned for maximum efficieny and fitting a snorkel upsets the tuning and decreases performance.

Snorkels should not be fitted and where you are wading a temporary snorkel should be fitted. If you get up to the air inlet height wading, with a proper wading sheet fitted, your motor would normally have ceased working by then for many reasons.

Snorkels are only for show ponies and deterimental to performance.

If you can get Safari or any other snorkal manufacturer to prove you get improved performance in any way, then please do so. However, you cannot because they do not.
FollowupID: 6453

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 21:55

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 21:55
Ozi, If it makes you feel any better, I didn't notice any improvement in our vehicle after fitting a snorkel, but it gives me piece of mind knowing that risk of damaging the engine during fording is eliminated. As we live on the Diamantina River, I don't think I'm a show pony.

Got a 3" exhaust too, it has made a difference, such as driving up the Toowoomba range - good as any dyno. Thanks for info on Lucas genny. See ya..
FollowupID: 6458

Follow Up By: Diamond - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 22:05

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 22:05
your such a hard man ozie lol
FollowupID: 6459

Follow Up By: Truckster - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 22:09

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 22:09
Chel,
dont feel bad, Ozi is against everything anyone says on the planet, not only here.

Wouldnt matter if you had dyno figures to prove it, like shops that sell them do.
FollowupID: 6460

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 22:36

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 22:36
Truckster come up and post your figures from the shops that sell them.

Bob Y if you live on the Diamantina River (lucky bastard) yes, it would certainly help and be an assistance, but as you know only to well, few of the Toorak Tractors live on the Diamantina River or any other river and don't visit them either.
FollowupID: 6464

Reply By: voxson - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 22:46

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 22:46
We've got you sussed out Ozi. You would drive along on a 40 degree day with the a/c off and the windows down because you dont want people thinking you are a sissy... hehehehe.......
And thanks to all for advice.
I will go Safari.

Regards Show Pony.............
AnswerID: 11543

Reply By: Dion - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 21:58

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 21:58
Ozi, are you bagging snorkels because you don't have one, so therfore they are no good, or don't they make em for Trytuns?
Chris - I agree with good stories from 4WD Systems. I have had them fit a Lokka, a 125L replacement fuel tank, brought there twin cylinder compressor. I have no complaints about any of these services. And I was provided with a vehicle on both occaissions when the tank and then the Lokka was fitted.
Although I have the Safari Snorkel, there are a lot of vehicles around with the Airflow Snorkels. I can't argue either way on performance, but can say that fuel consumption didn't get worse, so I would say that it hasn't decreased my performance. Where I live is dry and dusty, the snorkel has kept my air cleaner element cleaner, it lasts the 40 000km service interval. A mate from home that does a lot of time in the paddock, similar Rodeo to mine now gets about 25 000 - 30 000 km from his air cleaner element insted of the < 10 000 he was getting before. I have no intention of driving through water above the bonnet, but at least I know my engine is now getting cleaner air which must be a good thing.

Cheers,

Dion.
AnswerID: 11597

Follow Up By: Member - Chris - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:24

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:24
Good to see others have used them as well Dion. On the threadline though, I wouldn't have thought that the purpose of fitting a snorkel would be to improve performance in any way other than when crossing rivers or in dusty areas. Mine came standard with the Tojo fitting for the troopy, but I wouldn't remove it; and I've needed it to cross water deeper than the average city drain.
Can't help but agree with Ozi re the Toorak tractor poser - not much use for them in the city.

chris
FollowupID: 6548

Sponsored Links