105 series 1HZ Big End Bearings

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 10:23
ThreadID: 30129 Views:8825 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi peoples,

I have gone to change the big end bearings in my 1HZ and found when I have started to pull them out that they have different numbers on them eg. #6 was a 3, #1 was a 4 & #4 was a 5. I have had this car since new so still original grind. Does anyone know if this is normal as I have a set of std size here to go in but have now been thrown by these different stampings? What is standard?

David.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave ....Adelaide - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:46

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:46
Hi David
Dont know if there any different ,but i can remember changing the bearings in a 60 series petrol engine a few years ago , each bearing was actually a different size, wouldnt have known this only the fella that sold me the bearings told me , so if i were you i'd make a few enquiries first .......cheers .....DAVE
AnswerID: 151051

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 12:04

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 12:04
Hi David
Firstly, are the numbers you are talking about on the bearing shells or are they on the caps and rods?
The factory fitted shells are are selective fit and may have a range of numbers on them, from 1 though to 9 I think.
The after market shells are a standard and about middle of the selective range.
This will not be a problem.
The numbers on the rods and caps if any should match. Do not mix them up.
Ray

AnswerID: 151054

Reply By: Member - Donald_L - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 12:49

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 12:49
Hi David,
Not sure of your methods & I hope I am not advocating how to suck eggs but here is my $2 worth! are you checking the journal diameters of each throw on the crank & mains as well with a micrometer and compare to OEM specs or the last known grind size and the closed bore of each big end & main without bearing sleeves.!. You will probably find a range of dimensions by comparison.
There are upper & lower limits of journal sizes & bearing housing bores & the accepted degrees of ovality also. There is an upper & lower limit to ultimate clearances and excessive clearances are not worth the effort as subsequent short life is invited.
As you may know there are undersize bearings for a re-ground crank & big ends & mains can be closed & honed. Cranks should also have deflection readings done to establish correct axial alignment.
cheers
AnswerID: 151069

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 17:12

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 17:12
The original ones are slightly different or graded and are minute differences in sizes. If you buy genuine you ask for these individual sizes. Sounds like you have aftermarket ones which are all the same size but should not make a difference. Just curious as to why you are changing them anyway. You should have to change them for hundreds of thousands of kilometres if the vehicle has been serviced corectly. If you are replacing them because a knock has developed I would be measuring up corectly each journal as there may be some more damage to consider.
AnswerID: 151113

Follow Up By: Member - Bill S (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 22:52

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 22:52
Never Changed bearings in my HZ after driving it for over 500,000klms,so I would ask WHY??? you are.And yes the bearings are coded at manufacture due to the expertise of the builders of TOYOTA,so if you want to fit shewilberight bearings go ahead.In my time as a mechanic I only did the job properly or not at all. Happy motoring

BILLS
FollowupID: 404779

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 20:35

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 20:35
The numbers on the bearing correspond to thousanths of a millimeter difference in diameter on the crank journals....my recommendation to you is pull them carefully, clean and look at them, put back in...and if you have removed the harmonic balancer to drop the crank, work out a way to do the nut back up to 540nm......you will need a balancer holder, and a 2 meter length of pipe to do it correctly.....they have a tendancy of falling off if you dont do it back up tight...tight tight.
This is usually followed by much folding stuff leaving your account, as the crank nose wears away
Andrew
AnswerID: 151519

Sponsored Links