too much oil?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 18:15
ThreadID: 30145 Views:6350 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

I have a 1986 Troopy (2H engine) and just topped up the oil.
Unfortunately the dipstick now reads about 1cm above the FULL mark.

Is this a problem? Do I need to drain some off?

Thanks
Grant
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mcgra (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 18:30

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 18:30
hi grant

no it will be ok

have done the same once or twice

gra
AnswerID: 151127

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 18:33

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 18:33
1 centimetre would be OK, there is a good reason why you shouldn't fill them too much over the top mark. The crankshaft can dip into the oil and splash it around and aerate it.

I think it also messes up the volume of free space below the pistons to causing back pressure etc.

AnswerID: 151129

Follow Up By: Notso - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 18:45

Reply By: howesy - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 19:44

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 19:44
Too much can promote main or front oil seal leakage and airation of the oil can cause bearing damage.
Just how much is too much is anyones guess but for the cost of repairs I would take the guess out of the equation and drain.
AnswerID: 151141

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 20:38

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 20:38
Full means 'FULL' If a coffee cup is full and you add some more coffee the cup will over flow. Some vehicles have a line labeled 'ADD' which, in other words means that your operateing level is above here.

What happens if you are over the 'full' line ? How long is a piece of string ? Some vehicles will splash the oil around and aereate it to the point where droplets may even be tossed into the breather tube and end up in the air filter area (in the old days it ended up on the road). I doubt that crank case pressures would build to the point where any oil would go past the crank seals as any excess crank case pressure should end up in the engine air intake at the air filter..
AnswerID: 151157

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 02:08

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 02:08
Yes but there is the other little detail of just when the dipstick was checked.
Was it immediately after the engine was shut down and a lot of the oil is still in the process draining back into the sump or was it in the morning when the oil had all night to drain into the sump?
If the latter then I plead guilty having done that too and nothing bad had come out of 1 cm extra oil level.
However 2H engines do not like the oil poured in too fast, it can overflow into the breather tube and get sucked in the intake manifold, locking up the engine. Learned that the hard way, no damage done though as she would not crank fully and removing every glow plug shifted the mess to the underside of the bonnet :-)
Klaus

FollowupID: 404811

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:24

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:24
1cm should be OK but from personal experience if a student engineer overfills a ute with a 1hz motor then the pressure built up can force oil up and through the pcv into the motor making the donk run on oil which in turn makes it run harder and build up more presure making more oil feed in etc. The vehicle cannot be turned off and revs its tits off smoking the decine out someone declares an emergency and people like me spend 2 hours in a refuge chamber. the mines rescue team is mobalised with a nabouring mines mines rescue put on standby
so yea over filling can be disasterous
AnswerID: 151211

Follow Up By: kesh - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 08:12

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 08:12
Good one Davoe, but some quick thinking can save the day. The same thing happened to a mates trayback, I wasn't there but I saw the aftermath. He was nearly home (so nice and hot) when it bolted. Being an experienced plant operator he jumped out, ripped the conical pre cleaner off the snorkel and wacked one of his thongs over the hole.
Pulled the runaway up pretty smart, the part I saw was the snorkel tube sucked flat and the top of the air cleaner caved in. His thong was jammed about half way down the snorkel!
This was a 1990 1hz with over 600k. (hard) kms., it wasn't an overfill situation, just buggered. Mate ended up happy though, the boss replaced it with a 79s. turbo! The old truck has been "retired" and parked under a tree.
And I suppose there's yet another use for a thong.
kesh
FollowupID: 404825

Reply By: Gerry - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 09:24

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 09:24
Hi,
Just following on from V8Troopie, I have wondered about this myself. First thing in the morning the level is well above the full mark in my 1HZ 100 series, however, if I only wait a couple of minutes after it's been running then it is pretty close to the right level. I have checked the workshop manual (Gregory's type) which says to run the engine, switch off and wait for a minute, then check the level. It still bothers me though that the levels are so different depending on when you check it. Which is the correct way to check?
Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 151233

Follow Up By: Tom57 - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 19:45

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 19:45
Hi
Just reading through your question about when to check the oil level - no-one on the forum appears to have answered the question. I too am curious - so if you have discovered the answer could you please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated .....

Cheers
Tom
FollowupID: 404971

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 11:06

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 11:06
Grant,

A few years back when I had the 80 Series we were out on a track and i got stuck on a rock ledge. Winching was the way to go so I turned the motor off and set up the winch. Turned the motor back on and the revs started to increase and my foot was not on the pedal. A plume of white smoke was coming from the exhaust and the revs were building. I turned the key to off but the motor kept going and the revs were getting higher. Turned off the turbo timer and nothing happened except that the motor was reaching red line. Engaged 1st gear foot hard on the brake and then let the clutch out and stalled the motor.
Once the smoke had cleared we removed the injectors and spun the motor and oil pumped out of #5 and #6 cylinder. I had over filled the sump but I didn't think that it would matter, but stopped on the rock ledge at a angle facing up hill was enough to fill the motor with oil.
The reason that the motor would not turn off is that it was burning sump oil. The motor was hot enough and there was a feed of oil.

I don't over fill a motor any more.

Wayne
AnswerID: 151254

Reply By: revhead307 - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 12:56

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 12:56
Gday,

get a drill pump and some clear plastic hose..and suck the excess out of the dipstick hole.

I spent $60 and fitted a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve 9 months ago.. brass with stainless steel ball valve...replaces the sump plug.

Has a nipple so i can put some hose on if i want..spring loaded tap you have to push up and turn so it doesnt open by itself.

is well tucked away so no chance of it being knocked. (protrudes 2.5cm from sump)

makes changing oil...or just draining a small amount a breeze. I love it..and no more mess. (im just a humble accountant...not a sales rep)

Cheers
Rev

AnswerID: 151272

Reply By: hoyks - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 13:18

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 13:18
I thought I had blown up my Nissan a year ot two back after failing to climb a sand hill and backing down again. I tapped the brekes and all fo a sudden the motor started running rough and reving it's tits off. As the needle climbed past red line I stuck it in 3rd, reefed on the hand brake, both feet on the brakes and tried to stall it.
It eventually stopped in a huge cloud of smoke and I found that at the last service, 2 days before, it was over filled. Oil was sucked through the crank case breather and into the turbo where it was made into a nice mist and straight into the engine.

So avoid extreme forward/aft angles and high revs.
AnswerID: 151274

Sponsored Links