Hard walled canopies Vs Canvas canopies

Submitted: Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 17:41
ThreadID: 30167 Views:2029 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Wanting to fit a canopy to my Patrol ute. Purpose - towing a van and "doing the lap around oz" and having trouble making up my mind. Am told canvas sides keep out the dust, don't rattle and are cheaper but can't be secured if leaving the rig unattended. The hard walled ie Tosca type can be secured but may rattle and are expensive. Anybody out there with any experience to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member No 1- Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 17:50

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 17:50
had a hard top on a bravo
it was able to twist a little allowing side catches on back lift up to come loose...lost some gear and a couple bags of clothing out the back going up a steep very rough track......fortunately it didnt take us too long to find out we had missing cargo and we were able to go back and get said belongings

ARB came good with some recompense...always used a rope from roof rack to tow bar after this...never happened again...while the rope was in place..and was not game to not use it on rough roads
AnswerID: 151319

Reply By: hopscotch - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 17:58

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 17:58
Just a comment. Nothing but a full seal will keep out the dust. It seeps into every nook and cranny unless you have some way of keeping a pressure differential within the canopied area. Security is always a concern if you leave the outfit unattended in an isolated spot but we found that it was not really a problem in the CParks or where there were other travellers around. Of course there are some places where the laces will go from your shoes while they are on your feet.

Kevin
AnswerID: 151321

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 18:19

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 18:19
Shhh!!! don't mention laces!
FollowupID: 404941

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 18:01

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 18:01
Gary, have thought about this and ended up using canvas over steel mesh, seems to work well.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 151323

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 18:02

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 18:02
Had canvas canopys at a previos workplace. dont recall a dust problem but then where we ent ther was no one to follow. We were forever sewing them back up however given the ultra hardcore nature of the driving probably they stood up better than you would think
AnswerID: 151324

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 18:32

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 18:32
Canvas Look’s better, go for the looks!!!! LOL

Seriously I think the canvas is the better option, you can also easily remove it if needed, keep the sides up if you have 2 or 3 people sitting in the back when driving out bush, on a farm or whatever, it has more of a open aria when it’ open to unload/ load equipment, will look cleaner and will not scratch.
AnswerID: 151330

Reply By: Member - toohey - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 21:23

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 21:23
g'day gary
old say'n mate bull dust wiil get in. to the back of a watch, i had a canopy made and fitted by lowine industries at the basin in vic. check out their web site,fist class workmanship minimal dust,secure lock up,more than happy.
cheers toohey.
AnswerID: 151370

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (SA) - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 09:23

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 09:23
HI Gaz, as you can see from the photo I have a canvas one I made myself. The 2 large flaps on the front are opened while driving on dirt roads and the air rushing in pressurises the canopy part keeping 95% of the dust outside (you'll get a bit in from passing vehicles obviously). I also have foam under the tailgates to seal that area. To make it lockable you just make some mesh lift up doors that go behind the canvas. These can be made out of old aluminium security doors (cut to size) - cheap and light. Definately go for a solid roof though so that you can store stuff up there and also sleep up there if need be.
AnswerID: 151406

Sponsored Links