Servicing 1986 diesel Landcruiser

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 13:04
ThreadID: 30188 Views:8454 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Folks, we have just purchased a 1986 60 series Landcruiser with 250 k on the clock. The motor is 12 ht. We are wondering if we can get some hints on servicing and maintaining the vehicle. For instance

How frequently should we do oil changes, air /oil / petrol filter changes? How many grease points are there on the vehicle? Will the same sort of grease apply to all these points? Can you recommend a good automotive grease? Should I change the oil in the diffs and gear box? Should I flush out the cooling system? Some of the chassis rubbers appear perferated. Can these be replaced?

If you have any brilliant suggestions on how to make the vehicle more reliable, please let me know.

Cheers
Ben and Bridget
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: old mate - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 13:39

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 13:39
I would be changing ALL the oils and yes flush and drain the cooling system and refill with a suitable coolant. Don't know how many grease nipples there are but there will be some on the universal joints and sliding yokes on the tailshafts. Have a good look on all steering components for nipples. Give the underside a good gerni to help ypu find them all. I've used a high temp grease with no problems. All filters to be changed. This will give you good peace of mind that all is well and has been serviced if there is no service history with the vehicle. I've always done this with my vehicles so I know it's been done as many people let servicing slide once they decide to sell.
AnswerID: 151454

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 13:42

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 13:42
Oil every 5k, oil filter every 10k or 5k under tough conditions (start stop suburban driving for example).
Personally I'd be changing the air and fuel filters as well as all oils in the drivetrain straight away unless you are sure that is has recently been done or has been serviced by the book and you have evidence that it has been done. Don't forget to change coolant and brake fluid as well. The best coolant to use it the toyota red stuff but it can be hard to get.
Also don't forget to check wheel bearings all round and brake pads and shoes.
A cheaper source of parts than Toyota is Don Kyatt but check first as some genuine parts/consumables are cheap from the dealer.
DO NOT use Don Kyatt shackle bushes, they chop out quickly, the original Toyota ones are best.
Use Castrol APX grease for wheel bearings (never HTB as they don't get hot enough and you'll wear the bearings out prematurely), LMM (moly) grease for all the grease nipples.
www.birfield.com should have a workshop manual you can download otherwise shop around for a secondhand Toyota one or Gregory's.
AnswerID: 151455

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 13:25

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 13:25
Hi there Peter, just on your reply in regards to Don Kyatt, I am in the process of putting new springs shackle bushes (greasable) and pins in the front end of mine. Have orderded all the stuff from TJM but had a pack of bushes I bought a couple of months ago sitting spare so was going to use them which are from Don Kyatt, TJM fitting it all up next week for me, am now a bit concerned about your comment with regards to the bushes. It has all ome in it at the moment and replacing with the same again, dont know wether they would have put genuine toyota bushes in it when the ome was put in back in 1991 or they use there own brand but have now chopped out was going to replace just the bushes but the front springs have started to sagg so opted to put new ones in hence why I had the bushes laying around in the back of the truck. Was only ever told not to use neoprene bushes as they dont flex enough and will give a harder ride. Quetion is now am I better to replace with genuine bushes or just stick the ones I have in?? Only intend keeping the old girl for another couple of years before I update. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 405369

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 17:34

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 17:34
Well my experience with troopies (had 4 over the years) was that by around 100k the standard bushes are buggered, twice I fitted Don Kyatt bushes and they would be stuffed after 12 months or one 12 week outback trip. The trucks were pretty heavily laden with extra leaves all round, 2 adults and 3 kids as well as 200+ litres diesel, 100l water and food for anything up to a month so they were laden, prob over GVM.
After the second set chopped out I went back to standard bushes. Friends who run a well known 4wd place usually fit std toyota bushes with up graded suspension.
Poly bushes unless greased continually will chop out pins and spring eyes, ride harder and squeak when dry.
My son has a rangie which has been fitted with poly on all the trailing arm and suspension mounts years before he bought it, they have worn the mounting holes so much that std rubber bushes no longer fit at all so heis locked into replacing with poly or rebuilding mounts on the chassis.
FollowupID: 405436

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 14:58

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 14:58
Make sure the the front crankshaft pulley is on tight. I lost mine twice when I had a 60 series. Big nut on end of shaft. (use locktite or similar)

Cost about $2000 to repair crackshaft.
AnswerID: 151473

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 15:33

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 15:33
Good motor the 12HT

Good idea would be to flush out the engine. I did so with my 60 sreries and a lot of gunk came out of the engine. I used a product called CEM( they advertise here on this site). It is a tad expensive but it works very well.

I change my oils and filters every 5000km. Use the same grease all round for the grease nipples but use HT wheelbearing grease for wheel bearings.

Petrol filter???...I think you mean fuel filter. Probably best to replace the old one with a new one and keep one as a spare.

Flushing the radiator and also brake lines every two years is a good idea as well

Enjoy the old truck. They dont make them that strong any more.

Cheers
AnswerID: 151475

Reply By: mcgra (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 18:02

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 18:02
hi ben

go to this web site you can download the factory manuals and the engine manual they also have the toyota maintance schedule and other stuff u may like to read.

they are huge files so if u have a dial up start yr down load at night and go to bed they will be there in the morning.

http://www.birfield.com/downloads-cat-1.html

cheers

graham
AnswerID: 151495

Reply By: Billowaggi - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 23:54

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 23:54
Don't forget to drain the fuel system water trap, it is not part of the fuel filter like later models . You will find a black canister attached to the chassis on the right hand side roughly below the drivers seat, it has an electical sender attached and two wires also a drain plug in the bottom and a plug at the top to let the air in as you drain it. This is an often neglected item on a 60 series.
Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 151558

Reply By: Nick R - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 00:11

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 00:11
You can actually download a full manual that does the 3b, 2h & 12ht engines as well as the rest of the 60 series at
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com
if you go to the toyota section you can find it, I got someone with better download speed to get it for me.......
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 151561

Reply By: ross - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 22:30

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 22:30
Spend $29.95 on a Gregorys manual available from most big shops and automotive stores.
It has everything the home mechanic needs to know.

As for your questions ,being a 20 yo used 4wd I would go through and change all fluids and start afresh.
Note the date and mileage and continue with it until you no longer want the vehicle
AnswerID: 151680

Sponsored Links