gu patrol suspension

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 15:51
ThreadID: 30213 Views:1953 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the process of sourcing springs and shocks with 2" lift for my gu wagon, is a castor correction kit necessary ??? how do dobinsons shocks rate ??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GUIII Ringwood - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 18:43

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 18:43
For value for money go the old man emu kit with heavy leaod rating all round, makes a huge difference, about $1250
AnswerID: 151627

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 18:48

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 18:48
2 inch does not require castor correction. Can't help u with any info on dobinsons.
AnswerID: 151628

Reply By: Leroy - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 18:48

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 18:48
not necessary but most of the time required. After your lift get your castor checked and if you need them get them installed. More than likely they will be required. I and others have a simiar lift and all have the bushes installed.

Leroy
AnswerID: 151629

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 19:11

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 19:11
G"day, I have 50mm King Springs/Koni's under my GU III. Caster OK but needed to fit rear sway bar extensions to stop the sway bar hitting the diff.

Lifting the rear forces the sway bar back towards the diff, under off road conditions the bar and diff can come into contact with each other. They are available from ARB for about $30, and easy to fit.

Can't help with Dobinsons.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 151633

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 19:13

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 19:13
It seems there are differing opinions about these bushes being replaced. It could well be a case of each vehicle being different, but in my own case, I had Lovells 4" front and 5" rear springs fitted and did not change the castor bushes. It drove quite ok but eventually I started to experience a bit of steering wobble and the typical 80k/h vibration. So I decided that the castor bushes needed to be changed to the 2 degree variety. Bloody things made NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever. Soon after I decided to get new Goodyear MT/R tyres to replace the Cooper STs I'd had on for about 35,000klm which were badly chipped and had worn much worse than I had expected. Hey presto the steering wobble and vibration disappeared after the new tyres were fitted (and YES, I had made sure the Coopers were balanced during their lifetime, so please don't say I'm "having a go" at the Coopers....they may very well be a good tyre {"tire", sic}, but in my particular case they simply did not work).....
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 151634

Reply By: pling - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 19:58

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 19:58
I have a GU 4.8 Auto fitted with Rancho 9000 shocks with rancho 2'' springs and could not be happier.

Have done Cape York, Simpson and Ann Beadell without any hassles and the only one not complaining bitterly about the corrugations.

Would suggest you buy shocks and springs in a kit rather than using different brands mixed and not set up to each other.

Have never heard of Dobinsons shocks!
AnswerID: 151642

Reply By: bombsquad - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 18:37

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 18:37
Can't really help you, but I'm curious about the dobsins as well - I've probably noticed the same bargain springs and shocks on ebay as you???

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 151872

Follow Up By: mrgrahamc - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 19:19

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 19:19
Hi andrew
After a bit more research it seems Dobinsons actually don't make shocks but supply shocks made be decarbon which are french but have been designed to aussie specs. Any info that i can find on the net seems to give them a pretty good rap, so will probably give them a go unless someone advises me not too.

cheers
graham
FollowupID: 405677

Reply By: junior - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 05:08

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 05:08
Usually 2" on a GQ/GU doesn't require castor correction- try without first as mentioned- if "feel" is unnafected and alignment check shows castor within or close to factory tolernces then don't bother!
A word of warning Graham- what sort of bar/winch/storage/weight situation are you runnning- if you have a lot of weight, then a firmer spring rate would be advantageous, which is definately what you'll get with standard Dobinson coils. I prefer a much softer ride offroad and found the Dobinson coils to be far too harsh (we don't have heaps of weight though), and after some trial and error ended up with tough dog coils which are nice and cooshy offroad but work well in combo with the tdog adj shocks turned up stiffer on road. Other thing to consider is that coils with softer ratings (like tdog, OME etc) will generally "drop" over time and need replacing periodically to maintain ride height... COMPROMISES COMPROMISES!!!
AnswerID: 152216

Sponsored Links