92 V6 Jackaroo

Submitted: Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 17:20
ThreadID: 30254 Views:3501 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me out with a fuel problem I am having with my Jackaroo.
The problem - it uses too much.
It is an 85litre tank and only gives me about 300kms to that tank. It has a hiclone.
It has just had it's 200,000 service, timing belt, new thermostat, new radiator.
Ever since I have had it 12 months, the temp gague has never hit half.
It doesn't matter if I drive gently or give it heaps the fuel doesn't really last any longer.
I have spoken to our local Toyota/Holden dealer and he said if it were the o2 sensor that it would be running like crap.?
has anyone else had this problem, most of all does anyone know what we can do to fix it?
I really enjoy my Jackaroo, it's nice to drive and really comfy, and great on the sand - which is a plus seeing as we live in Broome with one of the most beautiful beaches in the country which we can drive on and do quite often.
Cheers
B-J
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gramps - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 17:36

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 17:36
B-J,

I'm not mechanically minded so take this with a grain of salt. If it were mine I'd be removing all excess weight, roof racks etc, checking tyre pressures and driving conservatively on blacktop only where possible to see if there was a difference (I'm assuming you do a LOT of sand work).

I'd definitely be getting a second opinion from a professional or two.

Never had one but that fuel figure looks absolutely horrendous.
AnswerID: 151850

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 17:43

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 17:43
For a start, take out the hiclone. Replace it with a lump of wood between the accelerator and the firewall and I think you're problem will be solved! ;-)

What tyre's, size, brand and type do you run and most importantally what tyre pressures are you running?

Do you have roof racks, spotties etc? Do you carry a lot of gear around with you normally? Is you're air filter clean?

Is it an auto or a manual? If it's an auto is the torqure converter operating correctly? If not you could be losing alot of energy through there. I'm not too sure on the 3.2L jacks, but I would assume they would have an ECU of some type (engine computer). Perhaps a look on a jackeroo forum/website to see if you can run an on board diagnositic on it, that might tell you if there is a faulty sensor somewhere that is perhaps making the ECU run rich. Normally you just short two pins out on the ALDL connector (whereever it is in the jack) and it'll flash the engine light on certain ways to tell you fault codes (if there are any) then you should be able to find out what they mean from a jackeroo forum and it'll at least let you know if there is anything wrong with the engine managment.

The last Question for you would be do you have a safari snorkel? If so, take the air ram off (the funny bit at the top that lets the air in) and make sure there is no metal restrictor sitting in there (a big washer). If there is, bleep that off straight away.
AnswerID: 151857

Reply By: b4no1member - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 17:53

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 17:53
as the owner of the same vehicle.
you have to get used to it.
they drink like its going out of fasion.
if yours in auto thats about normal.
cheers
AnswerID: 151861

Reply By: guzzi - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 19:18

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 19:18
Give it a run on a dyno and see what the fuel air mixtures are doing. No idea where youll find one of those in broome though.
Another possible cause is it thinks its running cold(if thats possible in broome)the temperature sensor for the fuel injection my be faulty causeing it too run rich (it thinks it needs choke).
The oxy sensor also may not be giveing the correct readings. Look into how much it is to change these and if the price isnt too aborant try changeing them.
Also check this site out, has a Jackeroo specificsection that may give you some answers.
http://forum.australia4wd.com
Good luck
Pete
AnswerID: 151886

Reply By: Sparkiepete - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 21:03

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 21:03
I own a 92 Jack and have that problem when driving around town.

My suggestion would be to disconnect your battery for an hour to let the ECU reset. It will then relearn your driving habits.
Mine uses about a tank to 300Klms/64L around town or on the open road 450Klms/64L Aprox. I too tried to make it run on less fuel but its a thirsty beast when puttering around town.

Regards
Sparkiepete
AnswerID: 151909

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 21:07

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 21:07
I have a mate who curses at his 20l/100kms in his Jack. But that would give over 400kms for a tank? Must be something wrong to only get 300kms.
AnswerID: 151912

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 01:45

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 01:45
Yeah, i've got a better fuel prob for ya, my 03 jack had the fuel pump die yesterday on the way home from the murray, you beauty....... thankfully mates could get us home and its under warranty, but it is now a hundred ks away at the dealers waiting to be fixed :-(

check out the jackaroo site mentioned for some tips, if it is an auto then its going to be high, but that is very thirsty. of course sand driving will use heaps.

ps - my jacks use 11-12l/100ks "normal" , up to 15 if towing.
AnswerID: 151996

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:57

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:57
BJ

The consumption indicates that it's more than driving habits!

I'd look first for obvious things. Is it possible there is a fuel leak that opens up only when driving - check this by driving a short distance then parking on somewhere any drips are obvious.

It is possibly running far too rich - and that will show up on a gas analyser.

I believe the answer may lie in your comment that the 'thermometer does not hit half.' I note you've had a new one fitted - is it the right one? I ask because
an engine is intended to run hot. If it does not its efficiency is drastically reduced.

I suspect this is at least part of the problem - but puzzled the new unit did not fix the problem.

Just possible there are two crook ones in a row - worth pulling it out and checking operation by heating it in a saucepan of water over a stove - with a thermometer in place. Should open at about 80 or so degrees C.

If it closes at abou the right temp, is it possible there is something that is stopping it closing?

Have you had a talk to Broome Toyota - their workshop boss is very knowledgable.
Collyn Rivers
(out at Coconut Well)

AnswerID: 152051

Reply By: signman - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 16:33

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 16:33
Ensure the air cleaner element is in tip top condition (clean & un-obstructive).
Pull the ECU relay out overnight every couple of months.
signman
v6 3.2 rodeo- across the board consumption
on road/off road/city 12.5 to 13.5 l/100
AnswerID: 152081

Sponsored Links