L/C 4.2T front end suspension

Submitted: Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 23:23
ThreadID: 30276 Views:2694 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a L/C 4.2 T 100 with a winch and BBar, plus extra battery. I have ARB 133 shockers and ARB torsion bars .(ARB's recommended solution for the weight)
It rides rough on cattle grids, outback corrugations,( a real teeth rattler) concrete dish drains etc. It appears to be under shocked, when leaving a dish drain the front axle appears to fall away.
Have just replaced the 133's- small improvement. Have today put the original Toyota shocks back on(with the ARB torsion bars) and it is much, much better.
Anyone know whats going on?
My suspicion is that the ARB shockers are not suitable with the ARB torsion bars- but I dont understand that they could be so poor as be inferior to the original shockers
By the way ARB has been no real help so far
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:03

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:03
frizza, you have not disclosed your tyre pressures. I can imagine if you keep them at the blacktop pressures - up above 28 psi you will have the conditions you describe. High pressure in tyres transfers shock.
AnswerID: 152027

Reply By: fnqcairns - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:48

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:48
Fizza, shocks are everything when it comes to ride quality, it's hard to find a less harsh shock that will still feel good at 100km/h and loaded. Genuine shocks are designed to appeal to the suburban set etc so they will feel really nice offroad at <40km/h and loafing around town.

The shocks you bought are designed to still work well at speed while loaded and on less than perfect roads, so effectively where it matters, and that is the trade off unfortunately, there is every chance the stock toyo shocks could be mentally draining on a long loaded drive and that can become dangerous.

Anyway the only shocks I know of out there that can do both fairly well are the Konis they are soft in compression (which it seems you like) the rebound is adjustable so they can be ramped up to give better wheel control at speed.
I dont sell them, there and probably a few other brands out there actually do a good job at allrounding as well.

Me personally I like the added 'feel' of some of the aftermarket 'common' crop of shocky, but there are times I wish I could switch in real time to a softer set like the Konis.

cheers fnq

PS on fast suspension movements modern shocks are designed to decrease dampening so the wheel has a greater chance of staying in contact with the road which is always a good idea, if they didn't you would think you were driving a rodeo pony, so your shocks when the axel fell away was doing its job, shockers are dampeners only.
AnswerID: 152049

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 16:12

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 16:12
A set of Bilsteins will certainly help but you have a lot of weight hanging on an already notoriosly weak front end. Good Luck. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 152080

Follow Up By: frizza - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 20:18

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 20:18
Rob
Thanks to u and others for your responses
The car has the ARB strengthening brackets fitted
With regards to Bilsteins, how would they cope with a Cape York trip (planned for this year) I understand they can overheat on prolonged corrugated roads
Do I risk a damage scene with the single skin?
Last year we did the Gibb River road and the front end didnt handle the corrugations very well at all. As I said, tested locally on cattle grids, dish drains, the standard Toyota shocks give a much more "in control " front end with less uncontrolled bounce.
As late as today ARB have said they cannot understand my problem(neither can I!!) and have nothing in their arsenal better than 133's
Frizza
FollowupID: 405694

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 21:08

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 21:08
I have just sent my Bilsteins away to be rebuilt after about 80k klms. They had done about 8 Cape trips Gibb River Road, Central Australia, Birdsville Track, Savanah Way and everything in between in 18 months, certainly a tuff life. I personally don't think there is a better shock for independent front ends. I personally also have not heard of any control arms cracking with Bilstein shocks. I also dont have a winch or a big heavy steel b\bar on my truck. Can not justify the weight expence or maintenance. Cheers Rob.
http://www.aussieat.com
http://www.cairnsoffroad.blogspot.com/
FollowupID: 405733

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 20:21

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 20:21
What you require is a damper with strong rebound valving, which will control the "drop away" feeling, typically OE shocks are valved this way as they give a softer ride on compression. You are asking a lot from a suspension system that has copped a lot of critism for just such complaints(Toyota are not listening though). I'd suggest a pair of big bore Tough-Dogs or Ralphs, which are both adjustable for you yourself to experiment with. They have very large oil capacity which is good for IFS which tend to oscillate more than Beam axles. I seriously doubt that smaller capacity shockers, ie Bilstein,Koni, will be able to control that mass on IFS and still have the reserve oil capacity to fight fade. The have excellent valving characteristics and are rebuldable, but in the end it's oil capacity that is going to be lacking for your situation.
AnswerID: 152120

Reply By: pling - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 20:35

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 20:35
I would agree with Tough dog etc, any big shock as long as they are not gas. I have had Rancho, Gabriel, Tough Dog and have been happy wih them all. Have only had Gas once and they were very harsh. Changed shocks not springs and could not believe the difference, much much better.
AnswerID: 152129

Reply By: 100TD - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 21:46

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 21:46
i have konis in mine with desert fox(carrols bars)in the front and it handles and rides beutifully(also arb reo kit fitted!)and to date 40000k and quite a few hard and rough trips with no problems! Paul
AnswerID: 152151

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 08:32

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 08:32
Have Pedders check the lower control arms for cracks, they sell a strengthener for them if you are wanting piece of mind.....otherwise, have a look through the database for a fellow exploroz ifs 100 driver, who went through hassles with Toyota and OME re warrenty claim and subsequent $12000 bill to repair and retrieve from desert.
Andrew
AnswerID: 152225

Sponsored Links