battery problems -Nissan diesel

Submitted: Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:31
ThreadID: 3028 Views:1634 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I have a Nissan GU patrol turbo diesel current model. I don't use it too much around town and it sometimes sits for a couple of weeks without a run. Problem - twice in 20 months the battery has died! Have had one replaced on warranty (within the first 12 months) but now the second has departed too. I have not returned to the dealer yet.

Have done quite a few major trips and no problems out there.
Could it be as a result of sitting for that period? I've heard they need to run frequently. Or could there be a a slow leak? I have a rotronics duel battery system installed; could that be a cause?

Appreciate any comments, advice, similar problems and solutions. Thanks all
Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 13:11

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 13:11
Hi Greg , i also have a Gu 4.2, i have a duel battery system but no solenoid, i run them in parallel. I run a Liemack 90 litre fridge constantly and because of the high drain daily, the batteries the give in prematurely, I run standard $100 batteries and as soon as they start to fade a little, i get two new ones.They only last 12 months, so if you are doing a lot of trips you may be encountering the same problems as me. Standard lead acid batteries dont like the high drain then the high charge rates that applies to this kind of operation. Hope this helps, Best regards, Michael
AnswerID: 11571

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 15:18

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 15:18
I agree with Michael about twelve months on auxiliary batteries, but your main start battery today should give you three years. I replace mine from a safety point of view every 2 years regardless of condition and my deep cycle battery every 15 months maximum.

I used to change at 12 months, but finding the newer technology and better brands are giving me 15 months.

Sitting around for two weeks should not be an issue at all with modern batteries.

That is why batteries used as an auxiliary are only given six months warranty.

Do I believe in buying flash labelled fantastic claim batteries - no, there is no way you can justify the prices against life span. I do believe in buying a well branded known source battery, but just normal wet cells designed for the purpose.
For example in our auxiliary batteries presently we are running the Apollo 882 (very bottom of page) These are made by Global Yuasa in Korea and are about $135.00
http://www.apollobatteries.com.au/spec.htm

While I have seen some fantastastic claims for life on lead acid batteries when used in vehicles as auxiliary batteries, I have never ever seen or sighted one of these batteries.
FollowupID: 6512

Follow Up By: Michael - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 16:30

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 16:30
Hi Ozi, Because of my Liemack fridge, i need to run both batteries in parallel, no solenoil, so it doesnt pay me to buy a deep cycle battery as a main starter.( the fridge has an adjustable voltage cutout) I buy two $95 4x4 batteries and as soon as i notice any change in the run time of my fridge. The high charge and discharge destroys them them long before their real due date. The $200 is cheap insurance compared to some of the other related costs in Four wheel driving. Regards Michael
FollowupID: 6516

Reply By: Michael - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 16:34

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 16:34
Ooops, i mean deep cycle battery as auxiliary...... Michael
AnswerID: 11580

Reply By: Member - Greg - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 16:38

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 16:38
thanks Michael and Ozie; sounds like I might have a leakage problem of some sort with the main battery then? The second one is still strong but will get it checked before I next venture out - simpson at easter.

GregC
AnswerID: 11581

Reply By: Phil G - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:04

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:04
Greg,

You mentioned the Rotronics Unit. I've had two of these. The first was 15 years old and performed faultlessly, but had a current draw of about 30mA continuous. I found this was enough to pull the voltage down a bit on the starting battery if I wasn't using the car.

I updated to a Rotronics MH10 on the Prado (for other reasons), and it has a blue wire that connects to a source of IGN power. It draws only 8mA when the motors turned off, but draws more current after the vehicle is started.

Might be worth giving Rotronics a call. Their tech support people are very good to chat to. (07)3356 0878

Phil G
Adelaide
AnswerID: 11599

Reply By: Eric - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 23:32

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 23:32
Greg.
THe most likely culprit is the rotronics system. they are not as good as a relay wired to the ignition cct. if the relay is wired correctly it will draw zero current when the ignition is off.
Eric.
AnswerID: 11612

Reply By: Daffyd - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 21:16

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 21:16
gday greg,

if you leave a battery standing the plates in the cells get sulphated, this basically kills the battery. You can add about 5ml of tetrasodium salt solution to each cell and stop this happening! It's a one off treatment.

Loads of peeps ask me why the manufacturers don't do it if it's soooo good, I'll leave you to work it out!!

I did this to my dual battery patrol about 6 yrs ago, the things 9 yrs old now and is still on the original batteries!!.

Only other problem I get is I have to top them up with de-ionised water twice a yr, the levels in the cells drops abot 10mm in 6 months.

BTW - I don't sell the stuff!!

Cheers
Daffyd

AnswerID: 11705

Follow Up By: Mainey... - Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 10:13

Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 10:13
Daffyd,
read your message on 'tetrasodium salt solution' and chatted with 3 chemists, two knew of the product and informed me it will work as you say...as it's 'free radical' chemical make-up drives it, I don't understand the workings however I am going to use it.
Was informed the salt solution is $39 for 5oo mls.
Thanks for the info..........
FollowupID: 7795

Reply By: Member - Greg - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:09

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:09
Phil Eric and Daffyd
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll certainly get the rotronics checked for leakage. Where do you get the additives Daffyd, might give them a try also. Thanks for your help folks.

GregC
AnswerID: 11739

Sponsored Links