O/T The Market

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:22
ThreadID: 30289 Views:2545 Replies:4 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Being a new investor I've watched the markets go up and down like a series 2 Landie on corrogations. Well I have to finance a new 4wd in the future, don't I ?

I've always said that inside every communist was a capitalist just waiting to get out.
My son is doing a shutdown in Whyalla at the moment. My instructions to him ? Work harder :)))))))
How times have changed.
I was brought up in a time when it was considered the done thing to spend your life hopefully making things better for the next generation. Now it's all about the money. Scurrying around like rats and dreaming of the day when we can get away into the bush.
Each generation has its problems, compare the lives of our pioneers to our lives. But it makes me wonder if we're any happier than they were. It appears to me that we have more but enjoy it less.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:58

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:58
Our world is changning into a user pays system more and more. ie medical, education, public transport, national parks, retirement etc... Nobody is prepared to support anybody else.

We all have do decide what is dear to us. Whether it is money or time with your family, we still have the right to choose.

R.
AnswerID: 152052

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 13:21

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 13:21
I don't dispute that a user pays system is in place. But the question, perhaps, is should it be ? Many previous functions of Govt have been thrown back onto the community. How far can this go ? What are the social effects? And if you have the freedom to make a choice, what choices can you make if you don't have the cash ?
Is this the society that we want ? No worries if you're being paid like a CEO I guess.
But what about the small end of town? Oh hang on, as an investor I'm making money out of them working 12 hour days and paying almost half of it in income tax. Maybe I should say &*^* em.
Remind me to sail past the next poor sod who's broken down in his 2wd out in the scrub. It's the same thing, isn't it ? Me first, second and last?

What I'm missing here is the element of degree. It isn't all that bad. The full quotation is, I believe, "Life wasn't meant to be easy. Bit take heart, my child. It can be delightful."

OK footy, get down off the box.

FollowupID: 405626

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 13:23

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 13:23
BUT a BIT of proofreading wouldn't go astray either. Sorry.
FollowupID: 405627

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 13:43

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 13:43
It's funny how success if very often measured in money.

When I finished high school, I could've done any job, inlcuding law or medicine but chose not to. So, as a result, the three of us are currently living off one below average wage, but we never see ourselves as poor. Infact many our friends (who have a combined income four times that of ours) can't come out to dinner with us because they don't have any money. WTF?

There are many times where we think more money would be very useful but considerring we are in the top 10% or maybe in the top 5% of the worlds income bracket, we shouldn;t really complain.

So my point is that we all live in a world that we build for oureslves and must ride the highs and lows of whatever path we choose.

R.
FollowupID: 405631

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 13:58

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 13:58
The markets are going up , not down . Why this sudden feeling of doom and gloom ? This Landie is still ascending the mountain .
The time for gloom will be when it reaches the top , and we find it has no brakes !
Cheers ,
Willie .
AnswerID: 152063

Follow Up By: Moose - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 14:12

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 14:12
G'day Willie
There's always a bottom to any hill so the brakes don't matter too much! It's only a gloomy time if one can't wait until the valley floor is reached and one has to bail out early - that could hurt something fearful. Hopefully when at the bottom one will have some fuel left and one can put one's foot down for the next uphill charge.
FollowupID: 405637

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 16:26

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 16:26
I'm not sure. Perhaps its because I've lived at the bottom of the hill for so long that I just hate it there :))
FollowupID: 405653

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 16:33

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 16:33
Footloose ,
You sound like you need somebody to cheer you up . Have you got any specific problem that you need help with , or is it " life in general " ?
Willie
FollowupID: 405655

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 20:39

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 20:39
Willie that's very decent of you, thanks. It's usually me doing the cheering up. Might have something to do with the quotes for new springs on my 80. Crikey, I'd be riding on gold bars.
But that will serve me right for whinging. The asx200 must of heard me, it went down a few points today. Tell you what, I'm going to have to be a happy chappy for the rest of the week.
The glass is half full...empty...full...empty...she loves me she loves me not...NOT! Thank goodness, my wife wouldn't be at all pleased :)))))
FollowupID: 405706

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 22:42

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 22:42
Footloose ,
Do you trade shares or are you a medium long term investor ? It was an odd day today . The market went up like a rocket in the morning and came back sharply in the afternoon . It's a bit like fishing - hard to master with any regularity .
Willie
FollowupID: 405791

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 23:00

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 23:00
Willie, nah. Just a long term investor in managed funds , investment advisor etc. You know the philosophy, stay poor now so that when you're in your retirement home its a good one kind of thing :)) "You want to WHAT ? Go Bush ? But that's a baaad expenditure you can't afford old son. Its not even tax deducatable in your case "
Oh well, back to the drawing board :))

Couldn't stand to trade each day, although I knew of a kindy teacher who did. She made more than she did teaching. But that wouldn't be too difficult at the time. Not for me, I'd end up jumping :))))))))))
FollowupID: 405804

Reply By: Trekkie - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 21:46

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 21:46
Footloose, when you purchased your last 4by how long did you expect to own it, and did you go to your 4wd car yard and value it every day.
I hope you researched the vehicle up front, looking at all the pros and cons first.
Whats the difference (as long as you dont buy a ....an, you will usually always do OK)
AnswerID: 152150

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 21:54

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 21:54
Trekkie, I bought what I wanted (and the wife was there to make sure she could stand it :). Yes, I had researched the vehicle, driven a few and lusted after one for a while. But that was about 8 years and 150K ago. Now it needs new springs. Things dont last, do they ? :))))))))
FollowupID: 405758

Follow Up By: Trekkie - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 22:06

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 22:06
No, I am on my second lot. The point I was trying to make was dont worry about your shares going up or down on a daily basis. Just as you researched your car I am sure you resesarched the shares. You dont value your car daily, so dont worry about daily fluctuations in the investments. If your shares are up over 12 months you have done well. Hopefully the Invstments will fare better than the springs
FollowupID: 405766

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 22:13

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 22:13
Trekkie, yes how silly of me. Ah duh Footy !
You're right of course. But it's all new to me, although I knew the mechanics of the market many years ago. I suspect that my time at various institutes of lower edu ma cation has trained me to want to know every lil detail. Blast, why can't I be like everyone else and let my advisor worry and not me. Because it's not his money, I guess.
Anyway to all those lucky enough to make money from that source, long may it continue to rise(as the actress said to......Footy! Control yourself ! ) :)))))))))
FollowupID: 405774

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 22:37

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 22:37
I am just a lowly pensioner with very very little investment

So I have no worries....LOL

When I pass on from this mortal coil I would prefer to be wrapped in paperbark and left in a tree somewhere in Northern Australia. But I am doubtful that that will be allowed. I may be relegated to a cardboard box somewhere else LOL
AnswerID: 152174

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 22:50

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 22:50
Willem, not many pensioners can afford to do what you do. If that bulldust is true, then I suggest you write a book on how it's done. There's a lot of other "lowly" pensioners that would love to know. As a self funded fool, I'm still trying to afford the upkeep and fuel bills.
I've always tried to keep enough in the kitty so that when I check out, someone will be able to dispose of me. I'm not allowed to be barked and treed, wrong "background":))
I remember the author who wanted to be left in a cave when he went. Now what was his name? You know the bloke. Poor fella my Country and Capricornia were well known and worth reading. Anyway he ended up checking out in Alice Springs. So much for a cave.
FollowupID: 405803

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 23:09

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 23:09
Ahh Footy

The secret is not to have any debt.

I try not to waste money. What little money I inherited from my parents and had saved over the the years was put in to housing and toys.

We travel on the pension.

You dont need a heap of money.

I aim to keep my GQ till it, or my time runs out

FollowupID: 405811

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 23:28

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 23:28
Willem,what a remarkable job you are doing. Good on you, I just wish I could do it half as well :)) I hope your efforts are well documented somewhere, as they don't appear to be typical of our present generations.

Met a bloke years ago in a van park who was going around Oz on the pension. Rekkoned he'd stop and save, then move on a bit. Personally I hate staying in civilaization when on a trip, it just costs me more :))

FollowupID: 405823

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 23:46

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 23:46
I must add though, that costs are rising and a recent costing on our daily requirements sees that we are running close to the wind by only retaining 10% of our pension income calculated on a daily expenditure record.

This has prompted me to restart a previous business venture to supplement our income. I am now in the process of doing this.

When travelling we avoid caravan parks, pub lunches, restaurants, expensive gifts and unnecessary purchases. Everything is budgeted for including posiible vehicle expenses( this I keep on the low side though). I take it easy when driving and hope that the truck sustains no damage along the way.
FollowupID: 405833

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 00:06

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 00:06
With the fuel price escalating, I'm surprised that you haven't bottled a special Willem Brew or whatever to try and suppliment the income. I only do what I do to pay for the trips away. Well, mostly.
I have noticed a disturbing trend however. As I get older I find that I enjoy a bit of comfort. I now camp in a tent that's far too big. Stop at the occasional motel for a shower. Take far too much gear, "just in case"........it's a worrying trend.
Next thing you know I'll be travelling with a tag a long tour ! I know what you mean about taking it easy to spare the vehicle. I do long stints at the wheel but only at relatively slow speeds. Last trip coming home, the only thing I passed was a grader. But thats another story :))
FollowupID: 405839

Sponsored Links