Toyota BJ73 Diesel

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:47
ThreadID: 30315 Views:14055 Replies:2 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, all. I have one of these, it's the mid length with the FRP top, and I find it does everything I want - gets me around, launches my boat off beaches and like that. Only thing about it I don't like is that the 3.4 diesel, which runs perfectly and blows no smoke, and passes compression tests, is gutless up hills.
It seems to me that Hiluxes with 2.4 L diesel motors pass me as I crawl up hills, and once a similar vehicle to mine, with 'Diesel' on the back and nothing about turbos on it, flew past me. I would have asked him about the motor if I could catch him!
There are options, such as having a turbo fitted or a larger motor, but I actually want to know if there's something obvious I'm missing. I don't expect roaring power from it, just that it holds its speed up hills.
Anybody have a similar problem or heard about one?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: revhead307 - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 13:38

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 13:38
Gday,

my first car which i owned for 3 years was a BJ70 SWB with the 3B 3.4L diesel. I loved the car, but as you say its absolutely gutless.

I did a fair bit of research at the time...and there was two main options

1) there are turbo kits for the 3B that will boost it up to around 96KW (from 72) and the torque up a fair bit aswell. similar figures to sticking a 1HZ motor in it.
2) there is a toyota factory turbo engine 13B-T which will bolt right up. need to look in 4x4 trader mags and source a wrecker or importer. (there were also some imported 5 cyl turbo diesel engines that came in the SWB models up to the early 1990's)

both of which are excellent options (no change out of $3000 - 5000)

of course www.marks4wd.com does adaptors to stick any kind of V8 in..but that doesnt sound like what ur after.

At the time i was young and dumb...and i traded it on a hilux with a 307 chev...bad move lol.

Good luck in your quest, there are definitely good options to move forward with with ur BJ73.

Regards
Rev

AnswerID: 152265

Follow Up By: revhead307 - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 13:46

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 13:46
type "3B diesel turbo kit" into google, you will find a number of australian suppliers.

I regret not spending the money to upgrade mine (would have saved a lot of $$$ in the long run lol)...but everyone has 20/20 hindsight.

Rev
FollowupID: 405918

Follow Up By: PJ73 - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:41

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:41
Thanks for the info, Rev. I think that if I come to accept it's just gutless I might put up with it. As I say it does everything else ok, and in Adelaide how many hills are there?
I'll look at some of the suppliers through Google, though.

PJ
FollowupID: 405929

Follow Up By: revhead307 - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:55

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:55
No dramas PJ73,

Ive had 3 normally aspirated diesels (v8 doesnt count lol)...so have altered my driving style to suit.

But the Bundera started to annoy me while 4x4ing on the beach...up sand dunes etc..and start stop city driving whenever i went to the big smoke. my GQ SWB and LWB patrol diesels seem to fly compared to the old 3B.

one day ill turbo my trol..but $3 - 4K always seems elusive in my pocket.

Catchya
Rev
FollowupID: 405931

Follow Up By: traveller2 - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 15:03

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 15:03
As has been said the 70 series did come with the 3B, 3BT 1PZ (5/6ths of a 1HZ) and 1HZ. You can fit any of them using standard components, the 1HZ goes pretty well in a middy too. Another option is get a 14BT out of a Toyota truck as it will bolt in too. I think there was also a 15BT as well.
FollowupID: 405933

Reply By: samsgoneagain - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:16

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:16
motor- a unit designed for a specific task to run at a constant speed.

engine- a unit designed for different applications to run at varying speeds.

your car has an engine. your washing machine has a motor
AnswerID: 152313

Follow Up By: revhead307 - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:29

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:29
It may take some time...but im sure you can add value to a number of other posts in the same way.

There is a veritable plethora of uneducated or merely lazy people on the site that would benefit from your wisdom.

cheers

Rev
FollowupID: 405985

Follow Up By: PJ73 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:40

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:40
Thanks for your helpful contribution, samsgoneagain, however your definitions are a little narrow. The Concise Oxford and the American Heritage dictionaries both include the internal combustion engine under their definition of 'motor'. The engine is distinguished by being only fuel driven while the motor is a broader expression including all devices which impart motion. So:

my car has a motor which is an engine

my washing machine has an motor which is not an engine

PJ
FollowupID: 406157

Follow Up By: Boc1971 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:34

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:34
well not everyone has access to Concise oxford OR american herritage dictionarys so i though i would cut and past from an on line dictionary for clarification

www.dictionary.com is my source

en·gine ( P ) Pronunciation Key (njn)
n.

A machine that converts energy into mechanical force or motion.
Such a machine distinguished from an electric, spring-driven, or hydraulic motor by its use of a fuel.

A mechanical appliance, instrument, or tool: engines of war.
An agent, instrument, or means of accomplishment.
A locomotive.
A fire engine.
Computer Science. A search engine.

tr.v. en·gined, en·gin·ing, en·gines
To equip with an engine or engines.

mo·tor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mtr)
n.
Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.
A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.
A motor vehicle, especially an automobile: “It was a night of lovers. All along the highway... motors were parked and dim figures were clasped in revery” (Sinclair Lewis).

adj.
Causing or producing motion: motor power.
Driven by or having a motor.
Of or for motors or motor vehicles: motor oil.
Of, relating to, or designating nerves that carry impulses from the nerve centers to the muscles.
Involving or relating to movements of the muscles: motor coordination; a motor reflex.

v. mo·tored, mo·tor·ing, mo·tors
v. intr.
To drive or travel in a motor vehicle.

v. tr.
To carry by motor vehicle.

FollowupID: 406192

Follow Up By: PJ73 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 12:52

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 12:52
That's a puzzling post Boc1971, for a couple of reasons.
First, the definition you cut and pasted IS from the American Heritage dictionary, as you would see if you scrolled down the page of dictionary.com.
Second, the definition of 'motor' you supplied includes 'internal combustion engine', confirming what I wrote.

As you didn't make much comment apart from supplying the definitions I'm not sure of your purpose, but if it was to lend support to my point, it's done that. Thanks very much.
FollowupID: 406223

Follow Up By: Boc1971 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:28

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:28
Hello PJ73

I think your reply is a little puzzling also ? -- i was just cutting and pasting for people that may not have a HARD COPY of the 2 dictionaries that you have used as reference - and they may not know of the website i quoted ( remember some people are total newbies on internet )

The purpose of the reply was to perhaps save arguement. I understand that in general terms ( or laymans terms )

engine normally powered by fuel
Motor - normally electrically driven

Just wanted to point out that by definition -- both parties could be correct in there own ways :)

so this was not a reply for -- or against in any way .....

just a follow up :)

Frank

FollowupID: 406232

Follow Up By: revhead307 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:34

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:34
ok...i posted a mildly sarcastic reply to the first would be saviour of the english language...

but seriously...this post isnt about that.

Good luck in your decisions about your motor (smirk) PJ73 ;-)

Regards
Rev
FollowupID: 406234

Follow Up By: disco driver - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 20:16

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 20:16
Mob of bl**dy pedants (one who is pedantic, a stickler for correctness), Does it really matter if we use the term engine or motor, lorry or truck, ute or pickup,SUV orAUV, crewcab or dual cab.
We all know what we are talking about.
FollowupID: 406332

Sponsored Links