Jackaroo td transmission whine cont......

Submitted: Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 20:22
ThreadID: 3032 Views:2443 Replies:9 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
The saga continues, I took the Jack to the Holden dealer today to recify the whine in the gearbox in fifth gear. Fine and dandy I thought.
They stated that the kit had arrived to answer all my problems great.
I recieved the vehicle back today and guess what? yes it still has the whine. So what did they do to fix it. Oh well they just put in some insulation to mask the whine. Its a bit like a spray paint recondition job. What a great fix it kit!!!!!
I am being calm, Darryl if you are out there you mentioned that you had a similars problem and that a KIT is available to fix the whine not just mask it. Mate can you help me out, what did they do? what is in this kit I hope not just a piece of sound dampering material.
Can anyone out there point me straight to what transmission repairs have been made to their Jack's to rectify the 5th gear whine.
It so bad I drove to the coast on Friday and I had to have the radio on all the way to mask this @#$%^*$ whine.
I need to fully armed up for when I go back to the Holden dealer to get this vehicle fixed. I still like it heaps, but I want it fixed.

Thanx guys and girls
regards XTZ (Steve)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 20:55

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 20:55
XTZ you sound like the dog who still loves his owner even if he sinks the boot into him! Seriously though I think the problem lies in one word ... Holden ... they make cars .... but they're not exactly at the top of the tree in the 4wd market .... I guess you get what you pay for .... try someone else for a 4wd
Cheers!!
AnswerID: 11592

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 21:12

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 21:12
Don't think Holden makes the 4WD's, Isuzu does it for them.
Dick
FollowupID: 6528

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 21:18

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 21:18
No more! Isuzu light vehicles was sold to Fuji Heavy Industries - the makers of Subaru and also Robin - some months ago.

Tuco
FollowupID: 6529

Follow Up By: Rabmail - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 23:48

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 23:48
Tuco69, are you sure Isuzu light vehicles was fold to Fuji. Isuzu is 49% owned by GM and it does not look like it was sold to anybody. The next range of probable Holden 4WD's are already puoring out of the Thai Isuzu/GM factory.
dick
FollowupID: 6539

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:35

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:35
Tuco 69...Isuzu sold their share of the SIA factory in Indiana US to Fuji Heavy Industries only. Subaru will now be building Isuzu Rodeo (our Frontera) and Isuzu Axiom under contract. The Isuzu Ascender replaces Trooper (our Jackaroo) in the US. This is just a rebadged Chev Trailblazer/GMC Envoy.

The GM holding in Isuzu has also been reduced to 12%, however GM have an increased presence on the Isuzu board.

Isuzu stopped building the Bighorn/Trooper/Jackaroo a couple of months ago as it's North America operation was bleeding to death and there isn't enough volume in the rest of the world to justify continuing it. The Fujisawa factory is now being converted to medium truck production.

Jackaroo will be run out in Australia during 2003 as Holden has imported enough units to see the year out when they may have found a replacement. Hopefully not an American replacement!

FollowupID: 6549

Follow Up By: Damien - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:36

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:36
Bob, if you haven't got something sensible to say, don't say it!!!

Your comments are rude, arrogant & misinformed - i would hardly call a whine in a vehicle cause to write the whole vehicle off as no good.

The Jackaroo happens to be an extremely well built, tough, competent vehicle that puts many others in its class to shame.

BTW Bob, what type of vehicle do you drive? Care to share that with me, or are you concerned that i'm going to bag it for no apparent reason?
FollowupID: 6559

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 22:10

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 22:10
Maybe I got it wrong, but thats the way I read it at:
http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/b_press/b_32.htm
>

Tuco
FollowupID: 6590

Follow Up By: Rabmail - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 22:36

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 22:36
Tuco69, you are correct in respect to the Isuzu US vehicle manufacturing operation only. Isuzu GM have a large manufacturing operation in Thailand and they are already producing new models of the Rodeo and the Trooper built to an Australian Spec.

Go to http://www.isuzu-tis.com/eng/ for more details. I am driving a new Dual Cab model and they seem like a good vehicle.
Dick
FollowupID: 6591

Follow Up By: Bob - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 23:43

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 23:43
Damien, A whining gearbox is an extremely serious fault. Gears, shafts or bearings don't whine if they are operating correctly. Impending gearbox failure to a city/suburban driver is of little consequence, hence your opinion ... but it is extremely serious to the driver who uses a 4wd for its intended purpose.
Oh I'll leave you to work out what I drive but two clues for you - in serious off road situations they are the vehicle of choice for most people and I have had no failures, breakdowns, warranty claims or whines in over 20 years of using this brand of 4wd.
FollowupID: 6652

Follow Up By: Damien - Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 11:15

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 11:15
Bob, are you suggesting that i am only a city/suburban driver & don't use my 4wd for its intended purpose??
How do you know where i do or don't drive & please tell me how you define "intended purpose" - do i need to be driving the CSR every month to be using my vehicle properly?

Ok, as for your 4wd - it's a quiz right?
Well, from your description of no failures, breakdowns................that immediately excludes all Landrover vehicles.

20 yrs with not one problem with your vehicles - i think you need to stop pulling yourself Bob - although you do seem to be very good at it!!
FollowupID: 6731

Follow Up By: Damien - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 12:10

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 12:10
BTW Bob, was the 20 years using your so-called reliable 4wd, before, after or in the middle of owning 2 Pajero's & an Lx470
FollowupID: 6979

Reply By: muppo - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 21:28

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 21:28
XTZ dont worry about Bob! He's a great help. What you have to do is ring Holden Customer assist ask them to investigate it and at the end of your first call to them ask for a reference number, this number is proof of your call to them. Then immediately write a follow up letter to "The Manager, Holden Customer Assist" state that you are not happy with the service to date and that you want it investigated further, they then allocate one of their staff to follow it up with Holden. Dont be mistaken! this staff member works for you against Holden to get the best outcome for you. Be patient and keep on it because once the ball starts rolling it's up to you keep it going, sounds like a long shot but it's not, it works. I had a 98 Jack 68 000klms 12 months out of warranty auto slipping in forth dealer didn't want to know about fixing it under warranty, first call to Customer Assist was a response of no assist but the letter hit the spot. Holden foot the bill of $3500 replacement trans so go for it!

Hey Bob thats how you help people when they ask for it, hope you dont have any major problems with your 4x4 and ask for help because you might get your response back and wouldn't that be helpful.
AnswerID: 11594

Follow Up By: Xtz - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 21:40

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 21:40
Thanx muppo, thats a good starting point.
Bob yeah mate thanks for those thoughts I hope it didn't hurt.
FollowupID: 6531

Reply By: Darryl - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 01:42

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 01:42
xtz,Sounds like they have not fixed it .
First of all the gearbox has to come out and it took Bunbury Holden 3 days to complete job from drop off to pick up. The warranty docket said
1 gear5th pt no gm8973227730
1 gear counter gm8973227720 (kind of tention spring)?
1 ring snap gm8971650410
1 ring snap gm8971650220

They also did radio gm92143177

They also did throttle body assmbly as i thought it was not right especialy in first start ups in morning

What i could glean from sevice manager is that it is not failure waiting to happen ,its annoying and to me i hate rattles ,squeaks and whines especaily on long trips..

Iam assuming you have a t/d, I dont put in fifth to at least 2400 Rpm .
Just lugs to much.
I put mine through its paces down on the black point rd a couple of weekends ago coming from lake jasper end .Quite a trip and had to air down 245/70 to 15 psi to get up some of the hills between lake jasper and jasper beach.
All in all could not be happier ,plenty of power with economy .

Good luck and hope this helps

Darryl
AnswerID: 11613

Follow Up By: Xtz - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 12:12

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 12:12
Thanx Darryl,
I was hoping that you would see my message. I think the problem with the local Holden dealer is that they have had little or no complaints about gearbox noises in the Jackaroo.
Therefore they don't appear to know how to fix it.
Like you small noises in vehicles annoy the hell out of me.
The vehicle is a 2001 model td jackaroo, I bought it second hand from a Nissan dealer. They have been great! helping me out with getting the vehicle fixed. They are acting as a go between for me between Holden. Which is good because they no their stuff and are on my side with technical abilities to boot.
I have today armed them with the part No. etc and other pages from this site to act on my behalf to approach Holden.
Time will tell.
regards XTZ.
FollowupID: 6561

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:47

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:47
XTZ .... I think Muppo's suggestion is the way to go. It's obvious the dealer doesn't care and has displayed some serious contempt by trying to mask the problem. It's all the more amazing as this is covered by the new car warranty and it's at Holden's cost, not the dealer's.

Go straight to Holden and stare them down. Again, make it known that you have information that it is a common problem and what your source of that info is. Refer them straight to these threads. When they agree to do the repairs, ask that it be done at another dealer and get them to nominate which one. I wouldn't go anywhere near the dealer that has screwed you around, unless I absoultely had to.

Just so we all know, who is the dealer?
AnswerID: 11617

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:50

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:50
XTZ ... Just a PS ....

Call the dealer's reception and find out who the principal of the dealership is. Put in writing to that person what you think of their service department.
AnswerID: 11618

Follow Up By: Xtz - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 12:17

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 12:17
Yep, I will but not yet. They may after today be further up to speed with the repair KIT as by now they will have been supplied with the part No. and other extracts from this site to assist them in repairing my vehicle. I will just wait and see for the moment and then I will proceed down your path.
Thanxs for the ideas Savvas
regards XTZ.
FollowupID: 6562

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 16:08

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 16:08
XTZ I have also had a kit fitted to my gearbox to stop the whine but it did nothing.I took it back to the dealer who then installed some insulation to try and hide the noise.It did quieten the noise but doesnt solve the real problem.I am going on a 3 month trip from June and should give the gearbox a good workout towing a camper trailer.If the noise gets worse,which i am sure it will,I will be back to Holden. By the way I have installed the new fan belts and they appear to be o/k
AnswerID: 11634

Follow Up By: Xtz - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 16:44

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 16:44
Thanks Steve, the noise has been muffled greatly by the insulation but I can hear it just enough to annoy. Good news about the belts I will get a set soon.
Do you know what they did to try and fix your vehicle?
They may have pulled a swifty as well by just adding a different grade of
gear oil or some thing who knows. Its sad that we have to think like this.

regards XTZ.
FollowupID: 6571

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:43

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:43
XTZ I dont know what they did , but they subbied the work out to a gearbox repairer.When it came back it kept jumping out of 5th gear .so back it went.Took a total of 4 weeks to do the job.Iwent back to the subbi and he admitted there still was a noise there and he would talk to the dealer about it thats when they installed the noise insulationand as I said Iwill wait and see what happens.
AnswerID: 11702

Reply By: Bob - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 21:48

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 21:48
Well XTZ I've read all the responses and they simply vindicate my original reply - they know what you're talking about because they've been through it! At least it seems there won't be any more around after this year and that says it all!
AnswerID: 11708

Follow Up By: Damien - Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 11:04

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 11:04
Bob, you're an idiot!!!!
FollowupID: 6730

Follow Up By: Bob - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 20:12

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 20:12
Damien read damien's comment following this - it's a common problem
FollowupID: 6927

Follow Up By: Damien - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 11:30

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 11:30
Bob, it may be a common problem, if you call a bit of noise a problem.

As mentioned, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the gearbox & it is NOT going to break down - despite what you might think.

Noisy components of varying degrees are common on all vehicles.

If you own a manual Bob, try removing the boot around the gearstick & the insulation - see how noisy your gearbox is then.

Just because a vehicle does not have sufficient noise deadening around a particular component, does not make that vehicle a bad one.

I would rather be in the middle of the outback in my Jack, than in the vehicle you drive!
FollowupID: 6978

Reply By: damien - Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 20:40

Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 20:40
I got my Jack serviced on saturday, so i asked the service manager if he was aware of the problem.

He was & he even showed me a letter sent to him (& other dealers) outlining the problem. Apparently, it is to do with the way 5th gear is "cut". He assured me that it was definately not a problem in terms of the gearbox breaking down.

The "fix" that is recommended is to insert sound deadening material around the gearstick, under the boot.
He advised me that one customer, early on when the noise was first surfacing, demanded that 5th gear be replaced - & it was.
AnswerID: 11890

Follow Up By: Xtz - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:12

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:12
Thanx Damien, I think you are well informed. With the insulation fitted the noise is all but gone. From what I have read I to believe that the gearbox will be fine.
I am grateful for your research on my behalf.
regards
XTZ.
FollowupID: 6866

Sponsored Links