Shurflow Pump Help/Advice, please

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:02
ThreadID: 30330 Views:2364 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Aaarrghhh!!!!

It always happens when you are about to leave to go somewhere!!!

Just gave the Shurflow for my water heater in m y 80 Series a bit of a tickle to make sure it was working OK, only to find that it won't suck water up from the bucket on the ground.

If I put the bucket up at the same level as the pump it gets water through, but spurts and f*rts, but in a pinch it could be used.

Now .. this pump has only been used for one shower since I installed it around July/August last year, so I am thinking that something may have deteriorated through "no use". Not sure about warranties, but at the moment I just want to get it working properly.

So, any advice from those who know something about these Shurflows would be appreciated. I dont even know how to pull one apart, which will prove interesting.

Thanks in advance.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:12

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:12
Hello Jack,
How's life treating you?

Only thing I can suggest is to hook your garden hose to the suction side of the pump and slowly turn the hose on. No real need to run the pump.
Leave the discharge side open to air, ground or garden.
What the aim of this excercise is to flush throught the pump body. It should give it a good old fashioned flush and perhaps unstick any stuck valves.

Catch you later,
Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 152346

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:19

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:19
Hi Geoff:

All good here buddy, how about you?

Just getting ready for the big one .. heading to Perth for a reunion with my Viet mates, then up the west coast. Wife has 6 months long service leave, then retires, so it's all good.

I will give the pump a hit with a garden hose tomorrow and see how that goes. Good tip .. thanks for that.

Take care of yourself.

Jack

FollowupID: 406064

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:31

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:31
I'm really good mate,

Great to hear your doing some travelling and keeping in touch with your army mates. Won't pretend to understand the journey you blokes have been on.

Sounds like with your wife retiring and the kids grown up there's no holding you!

I'm planning my next adventure to Fraser Island, Simpson, further out time wise the Canning.

Bought and sold a 105 Series Cruiser. Now hunting for what I really wanted, a late model RV Troop Carrier.

Go for it,
If you need a pump fast, give me a yell I've got one of similar spec's to the Flow Jet. Different brand. You're welcome to give it a go.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 406070

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:30

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:30
Geoff:

You are going to my favourite place ... Fraser. Was up there in October last and earlier in the year as well (May I think).

I usually stay at Dunbubara, although I did find a nice spot on the southern side of Happy Valley last trip, and my mate and I stopped there for two days.

Thanks for the offer of the pump .. this one is brand new, so it is a "mission" to get it working properly. Tomorrowo is another day : )

Cheers
Jack

FollowupID: 406095

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:36

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:36
Have had a similar problem in the past if the pump has sat unused for a while. I found the solution to be as previously mentioned - connect her up to the garden tap and give it a good flush through and prime, as mentioned, go easy on the pressure.

Regards
Ian
FollowupID: 406175

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:12

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:12
Hi Jack

Just check your connections mate, on the "in" side, if there is the smallest air leak, it wont suck properly.

Godd luck mate

ads
AnswerID: 152361

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:21

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:21
Shall do again, although I did check them out pretty thoroughly earlier. They are a sort of "snap on" fitting (comes with the Twine unit) and are practically new, so I may not have given them the attention they deserve.

Alternatively a call to Shurflow tomorrow to suss them out on it.

As they say in the classics .... "it'll be alright on the night".

Thanks.

Jack

FollowupID: 406067

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:34

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:34
Jack,
Do you have a small filter in the suction line?
If not it may pay you too as just a tiny bit of rubbish under one of the valves may reduce its sucking power, which by the way isnt great, I use a small garden dripper filter on my shower unit pump. You may have to sometimes lift bucket for a moment for it to catch its breath.
These units are as simple as to pull apart, just undo screws at front and you end up with valve body in your hand and diaphram still connected to pump motor.
Forcing water through it may shift any rubbish in the valve.
Word of warning , DONT apply to much pressure to suction and discharge hose tails as they snap off easy and then a whole new body is required.
My experience of using these units for work for many years, is they are ultra reliable.
Have a coouple that have pumped chemical spray daily for 6-8 months of the year for 7-8 years without failure.
Cheers Pesty
AnswerID: 152367

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:26

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:26
Hi Pesty:

There is a small filter, which I have cleaned out in case that was the problem. No joy there. but I will take on board your thoughts about they being easy to pull apart. That can be on tomorrow's agenda.

It worked great the only time I used it (not long after I installed it) so I am thinking it is gunk somewhere along the line.

I will call Shurflow early then set to work. Going to be away for a good while, so I will probably need a bit of a clean up .. better goet it working. : )

thanks for your help.

Jack

FollowupID: 406091

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 14:17

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 14:17
Jack,
I had a few early probs with my twine too....the pump wouldn't suck. John Twine sent me a new diaphram for the pump (easy to fit) and that worked okay; but they do dry out if not used regularly.

Anyway still had some probs again another time and, same as you, if I could get the feed water high enough to gravity feed, all was ok. That was no good in the long term so I bought a little squeeze pump like they use for pumping fuel between a fuel tank into a outboard motor. I mounted that in the red Woolie's box/crate that i use for showering. I also mounted one of those in-line black coloured filters from a garden irrigation set-up. These both "live" in the bottom of the crate and have a 90o elbow joint to which is attached a short length of green garden hose (just enough to reach the top of the crate) and a male half inch garden hose fitting on top. This whole thing is held in place by a screw-up hose clamp through 2 slits in one corner of the crate. The hose I use is mounted permanently under the bonnet on the pump (coiled up on top of air cleaner) and has a female hose fitting on it.

When it's time for a tub, I fit the hose fitting onto the crate full of water, give the squeezy pump a few pumps with the Shuflo motor running and it all works ok. It still farts a bit, but I will eventually get around to finding out why that is.

I think the secret is to run the pump very often (like once a week).

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 406243

Reply By: madcow - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:13

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:13
Have a look here
http://www.shurflo.com/pages/RV/rv_categories/potable_water/potableWaterPumps.html

cheers
AnswerID: 152440

Reply By: Tim_N - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:35

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:35
It sounds like you have an air leak on the suction side of the pump. To test this, get a bucket of water and put the suction hose and shower head in the bucket. If there are bubbles coming from the shower head, then the air leak is in the suction side. To fix this, connect a single piece of hose to the suction side of the pump (ie with out any snap fittings or a filter) and see if you still have the same dramas. I'm sure the pump will prime and lift water for you if you bypass the snap fittings. Most problems are caused by snap fittings on the suction side. Theses fittings are renowned for it. By putting a single piece of hose to the suction side usually is the best test.
I would get rid of the snap fittings and buy screw type or air type fittings but make sure that the filter is still used. Some times the thread on the filters leak air, so put some thread tape on the thread and tighten.
Tim
AnswerID: 152471

Reply By: scooter - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:01

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:01
Hi Jack
AnswerID: 152502

Reply By: scooter - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:06

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:06
I'll try thaat again.
Hi Jack
I had the exact same problem with the Shurflow on my Twine Shower. You describe the very same symptions. I did everything and eventually took it back to where is was installed. Simple answer was that it was stuffed and they had to fit a new one. Mine was about 2 years old. Cost me another couple of hundred. I don't know what caused it and eventually even getting the bucket level stopped working.

Regards

Scooter
AnswerID: 152505

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:51

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:51
Hi scooter:

I am hoping that is not the case, but will be having a play around this afternoon. Theoreticaly it is still under warranty (2 years), but I guess the devil is in the detail.

I will work on the "air leak" today and see how I go. I am now in touch with Shurflow/Twine, so will keep y'all posted.

Thanks for your input though. Much appreciated.

Jack

FollowupID: 406238

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 11:14

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 11:14
Many thanks to all for your helpful responses.

I traced it to a leaking connector, and ended up replacing the short length of hose on the suction side with a length that reaches from the pump to the bucket. No joins. Working like a charm once again.

Your input has been greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Jack

AnswerID: 152906

Sponsored Links