Cleaning out chasis rails

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:31
ThreadID: 30331 Views:10601 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Dunno who elso sticks there finger into the rails but i have and found they were filled with at least and inch of dust/dried mud. I manages to get some of it out but now the rails are chock a block with crushed cockle shells. There are very few drain holes along the bottom and they are very small certainly to snmall to get shells out of and to small to get mud out of really - Any ideas
BTW watch out for crushed cockle shell beds on the beach - besides swallowing my vehicle, 2 d shackles and a quite large jacking board. the shells got into everything including the diff pinion and chewed the seal straight out
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ray - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:42

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:42
Bit worried about you Davoe. What induced you to "stick your finger in the chassis rail" anyway? What if there had been a bloody great redback in there?I always spend a bit of time with the hose flushing out wherever I can as the Patrol gets a clean.
AnswerID: 152352

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:53

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:53
Redbacks pfff only woosies worrie about them. I had one crawl into my shirt while I was working on My old campervan at night (It had been sitting for a week or so) and bit me 3 times. After 6 beers the pain settle down..........
anyway i have always kept an eye on the muck in their and tried hosing it out every now and again. Any pre purchase inspection on a tojo ute or pov pack should involve tasting the dust you get out of these rails as if it is a goldfields miner the dust will taste very salty. i have busted people trying to pass off dollyed up mine utes like this a couple of times
FollowupID: 406053

Follow Up By: Member - Ray - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:56

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:56
Heres a little story about Widgie for you Davoe.
I worked there in 1963 when it was a small town on the Esperance road.
A bloke named George Lister owned most of the place. He ran the salt works and was generally known as the mayor of Widgie.There was enough people living there to justify having aschooleven. I was only 16 and an apprentice chippy and we had to rebuild most of the town after they caught the remains of a cyclone that kept coming down from the North.We never found most of the roofs that were blown off they went that far into the scrub.
FollowupID: 406055

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 00:57

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 00:57
Interesting a bit of history knowledge can turn a little place like widgie into an interesting place for a look around. If you feel like moving back there is a house for sale there - If you can handle the prices the new mayor of Widgie charges for beer,snacks and fuel at the Tavern
FollowupID: 406131

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:49

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:49
Just spent the best part of an hour cleaning under the Hilux and flushing out my chassis after a trip to Fraser. It is amazing where that sand gets! On the Hilux, the chassis rail is open at the the rear, so flushing is a bit easier. Also easier to run cables through for the fridge, power points in the back and Anderson plugs for the CT.
AnswerID: 152355

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:54

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:54
Hi Davoe,

There's a few tips for chassis washing at Post 7918, and the one I was looking for was Post 19001 where they talk about the Massojet available from ARB. I've not got one, but they look like they've got all the tricky angles sorted so you can blast the mud, shells, or whatever out the end of the rails either to the front or back.

At Post 7918 they talk about putting vehicle on ramps to get gravitys help in rolling the bigger items downhill.

It'd be nice if the rails were clear enough of bolts etc to allow a garden hose to be shoved up there from one end to other, but they're not.

I've used the degreaser attachment from my air kit to spray fish oil inside the rails after I'd done my best to clean it all out, but that's not the right tool to clean it out. Maybe the Massojet is.

I'll be interested in how other get the last bits out - bit like cleaning your teeth then still needing to floss to get the last bits out, and they're the ones that do the damage.....

Tim
AnswerID: 152356

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 01:43

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 01:43
Was workin on an ex mines Breadbox on weekend the chassis rails were SOLID with coal dust! its only a 2002 model too! There was 2inch+ of dust on top of the fuel tank when we hacked the arse end off the car.

Stick ya hose in there, block off as many holes as ya can
AnswerID: 152422

Reply By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 02:52

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 02:52
Hi daveo
I read an artical once about a company that would run a steel tube along along your chasis rails with droppers into all the holes along the rail and at the ends they had a standard hose fitting just plug in and come back later and all done and just swap hose over to the other.was a bit pricey to get done but if you are handy with hacksaw and oxy it is posible. Not sure how they fixed it to chasis though. It seamed to get to all those hard to get to places and i guess you could use it to apply stuff like fish oil. I think on the end of the droppers were little spay jets. Maybe someone else on here has heard of or seen similar thing.

regards ross
AnswerID: 152426

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:38

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:38
getting a hose or something into the casis is not the problem i can get a hose in on a few points and feed it into the chasis. The problem is these holes are above the bottom of the rail and the drain holes at the bottom are small. This means most of the water fills up the cassis rail and flows out of the large holes higher up with little actually carrying out dust. it is made worse now with the shells in the railing as they cant fit out of the small drain holes and are to heavy to be carried up and out of the higher larger ones. next time i am home i will look at putting it on a ramp as suggested one end if the rail is open one end
FollowupID: 406193

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 09:11

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 09:11
That system is from Staun, same people who make the brilliant Massojet underbody cleaner.

Staun

FollowupID: 406402

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 07:31

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 07:31
Had an old rodeo once that had the chasis rails full of crap,took it out to my work place(mine) and hooked the BIG compressor(we're talking big,it ran a drill rig)put the air lance on(for blowing out drill holes)poked it in the front most hole and let it have it.Took about 1 min each side and they were spotless.
AnswerID: 152430

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:32

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:32
now were talking - 600cfm of air it should do something maybe even blow the 80 up to a 100
FollowupID: 406191

Reply By: Boc1971 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:13

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:13
For those of us with pressure cleaners ( Gerni as some people call them) you can now get drain cleaning nozzles for them - basically one jet faces forward and 3 - 6 jets face backwards --- the forward facing jet will break away the mud whilst the 3 or 6 facing back will wash all the crap back

something that you may consider buying with your water blasters - you must know the pressure of your machine and LPM water constumption when ordering one as the whole sizes vary as to your machines - ie a drain nozzle for a 5000 PSI 21 LPM machine put on a sall karcher will only give you 700 psi rather than 1500

Frank
AnswerID: 152441

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 18:03

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 18:03
Hi Davoe

Just 2 wks ago I flushed my rails with the Massojet. I had previously used a small Gernie without much luck due to the nozzle. I can put a hose most of the way along CR from the back but not with high pressure.

I took mine to a detailers in an old mechanicle workshop and hoisted it. Stuck on the Masso' and worked until I was happy. Lowered it and removed the front lifting arms of the hoist from underneath and then lifted so the R's end was well up. Worked the Masso from back to the front all holes until clean. I was lucky as the Lux has 3 holes at the bottom of the rail which allowed the majority of bleep e/sand/grass/mud to exit with regular clearing/poking, no cockle shells though.

I got the Masso with a subscription offer. 1st time used and very happy with it.

Good Luck
Wisey
AnswerID: 152554

Reply By: Cheiffy - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 09:04

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 09:04
Hi Davoe,

I once stuck the Hilux in a mud/clay pit and it took me ages to get the gunk out. I didn't have the massojet at the time so I stuck the car on the ramps and started to pick the crap out with fingers, screwdrivers (depending where of course) and sprayed car wash down there before I stuck the hoses in. It just takes time and elbow grease by continually repeating the above actions. I also had the radiators pulled because they were chockers also.
I picked up a massojet the other day and would reccomend one. Mind you, they are not running the sort of pressure you be cleaning your driveway with but still managed to remove most of the crap that was under there. The angles on these are awesome and really make cleaning under the vehicle a lot easier and the nozzle fits into the chasis also.

Good Luck

Cheiffy
AnswerID: 152677

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 09:51

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 09:51
Hey Davoe have another look at the Staun web site they have a thing called a "Chassis Spa" just what you need.

http://www.staunproducts.com/chassisspa.php
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 152682

Sponsored Links