Tyre compressors

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 23:20
ThreadID: 30338 Views:3784 Replies:12 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've got a Blue Tongue Mark 4 tyre compressor and have been quite happy with its performance, that is until last week when I tried to reseat a tubeless tire on the rim, it just didn't happen even when I removed the valve assy from the valve stem. The compressor is at the most 2yrs old. Has anyone else struck this problem?
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 23:33

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 23:33
You need an initial large volume of air to get a tubeless tyre to seal on the rim. I don't think the blue tonque can do that, OK once the tyre has sealed
Cheers
AnswerID: 152404

Reply By: Member - Ray - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 23:41

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 23:41
Michael,
have you tried the inflated bike tube around the rim trick?
AnswerID: 152408

Reply By: BenSpoon - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 00:41

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 00:41
I have managed to get by twice now by seating one side of the bead then using a fat ratchet strap and tightening it around the circumference of the tyre tread which makes the other bead bulge out onto the rim. Alot of patience needed, but it has worked for me.

Another option is getting a compressed air resivoir of some sort on the bluetongue- Charge that then use the stored air to seat the bead.
That said, why not make an adaptor so you can use your spare or another tyre to do the job? You may have to take the valve stem out of your already inflated tyre to get sufficient flow, but its not as though you will have to reseat the bead on the second tyre if it deflates completely.
AnswerID: 152416

Reply By: D-Jack - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 00:56

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 00:56
My blue tongue III seats my beads no problems at all. I think though maybe the condition of the bead/size of tyre compared to rim makes a difference. I haven't needed to use anthing except a rubber mallet to just belt the tyre a bit to position the bead propertly until it seats while the compressor is going. Mine are 245/75/16s pm a 7 inch rim. If the rim is on the largish size compared to the tyre (eg if I had 8 inch rims) it might be a different story.

D-Jack
AnswerID: 152417

Reply By: glenno(qld) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:54

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:54
I read in an old jack absalom book where he would pump the spare up to 80 psi and somehow use the air in that to reseat the tyre.
AnswerID: 152449

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 11:21

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 11:21
Now who was it that recently argued against using tubes in tubeless tyres ? It is sometimes easier to put a tube in then re-bead a tyre when off road. At least it will get you home.
AnswerID: 152486

Reply By: Peter Guy - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:03

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:03
Use a tube - easy!!!
AnswerID: 152503

Reply By: HUGGY (SA) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:05

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:05
Hi Michael,
I can empathise with you. I originally bought the ARB tyre pliers. Hoever before I had a chance to use them I went to the 4wd show in Adelaide and saw a demonstration on a different brand. The demonstrator made it look so easy that I quickly got a refund on the ARB brand and purchased the new bead braker.
In all fairness the new beadbraker worked beautifully in breaking the rim, taking the tubeless tyre off the rim and popping it back on. This is where the fun starts.
My ARB air compressor would not make a dent on blowing up the tyre. Air flowed out quicker than it was pumped in. I bounced the tyre and did a few other little tricks with no luck. I took it to a service station and tried their high pressure pump. Still no luck. I then took it to a tyre repair place and he had no problem with pumping it up. His pressure was obviously sufficient to do the job.
We rang the helpline where we purchased the beadbreaker from and was told our ARB $400 compressor probably won't have enough grunt to do the job. They suggested you use a mixture container lux flakes (thick paste) to help seal the bead then try and pump it up.
Considering I am doing the Simpson in May I think its imperative to sort out this problem before I leave. Will probably simply add a tube if I have any problems on the way.
AnswerID: 152504

Reply By: macy - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 17:19

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 17:19
Go to an industrial or agricultural tyre fitter and get a scoop of the thick stuff they use it will hold air in a big gap and the small air comps. will easly manage.
Take a air tight container with you and they will probably fill it for a six pack!

AnswerID: 152549

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 18:13

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 18:13
Quickest way to reseat a bead is to remove the valve stem all together, run a quick squirt of lighter fluid around the bead of the tyre so the fumes drop inside, then light it. The small explosition expands the air & seats the bead. Don't try it with the valve stem in as it can pump the tyre up to 150psi+
Alternatively use your bull bar tube as an air tank so you can pump it up to 100psi+ to get the big rush of air, soap up the bead of the tyre & let it go. Ideally you'll need a 6cfm compressor or bigger to get enough volume of air otherwise.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 152555

Reply By: Witchdoctor - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 22:11

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 22:11
I am running a CO2 inflation system its output is 31 CFM at 250 PSI.
Will reseat both beads on a 35" muddie in 10 sec also run all you air tools.

Dave
AnswerID: 152613

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 22:24

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 22:24
There are many tricks to getting beads reseated. I use a spare tyre inflated to 80psi to give a whoosh of air, but usually find that tyres on 8 inch wide rims are the difficult ones.

IMO prevention is best. Why anyone bothers to repair tubeless punctures by taking a tyre off a rim is beyond me. Instead, we've been using plug kits for the past 6 years - simple and no sweat - just use a plug kit with the tyre on the vehicle, and drive away 5 minutes later. When you reach civilisation, then get a tyre man to do the hard work, and do it properly.

I've also noticed that more people on the forum are discovering that lower pressures in tubeless tyres and lower speed means less punctures offroad.

Yes, I also carry a spare tube in case all else fails :-))

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 152617

Sponsored Links