Waterproofing Canvas after mold treatment

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 20:21
ThreadID: 30357 Views:10519 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
I have just removed some mold from the canvas on a camper trailer and wondered what I should do to waterproof it, I did a search but most posts just referred to waterproofing old canvas etc.

any help is much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geordie4x4 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 20:42

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 20:42
It is probably a good idea to check with the trailer manufacturer as to what sort of treatment the canvas has had in the first place.

I have found that some of the pre-treated brands of canvas such as 'Wax-Converters' brand have such a good initial coating that it is hard to wet it with anything other than a solvent-based waterproofing such as 'Re-proof' or 'Wapro' brand canvas proofing. These work well but stink of strong solvent for a while and you need to test (on a small bit of canvas or an inconspicuous part of the trailer) that it doesn't make the colour run.

I prefer to use a water-based 'Nikwax' canvas proofing because I can apply it when I am travelling and use the trailer without the solvent smell. These water based waxes are harder to "wet" the canvas with. So you might have to wash it with a sponge then apply the proofing and work it in. They do also work well as I have tested my trailer through Victoria and Tassie in the wet.

good luck
Geordie

AnswerID: 152581

Follow Up By: bouncer - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 21:16

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 21:16
Thanks Geordie,
The canvas is about 3.5 years old and the mold treatment I used was Sudbury "Mildew Cleaner & stain remover" by Rule. It worked fantastic as the canvas was badly affect by the mold but it cleaned it up like new however it is sodium hypochlorite based, basicly an extra strong bleach so I'm guessing any waterproofing that the canvas had would have been stripped right out.

I saw some posts that said just wet the canvas and let dry in the sun 2 or 3 times and that should work but again because of the cleaner I used I don't know if that will work?
FollowupID: 406341

Reply By: RustyHelen - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 23:12

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 23:12
Bouncer
Don't know the answer tp your question but just checked our manual under "canvas care" and it clearly says not to use detergents or soap products as this will remove the waterproofing. From what you describe you have used a strong oxidising agent (sod hypo) and you can bet you have cleaned off your water proofing compound.
The wet/dry method only works to activate the water proofing stuff applied so I understand. You will need to reapply water proofing and I reckon I would be contacting the maker or a canvas shop for recommendations. I am sure you can buy commercial products from Rays etc but maybe you will need the real thing.
Rusty
AnswerID: 152632

Reply By: johannagoanna - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 23:37

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 23:37
I recently waterproofed a 25 year old canvas tent, with 'Joseph Luddy' brand waterproofer. As mentioned in a previous post it is very chemically based, and stinks, but it did the job beautifully. Tent didn't leak in torrential rain. Be warned that you would need a lot of it and it isn't cheap! Hope this helps - Jo
AnswerID: 152636

Follow Up By: geordie4x4 - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 13:26

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 13:26
Yes the cleaner has probably stripped the waterproofing.

As I understand it, the wet and dry a few times method is really only intended to shrink the canvas the first time so the fibres of the canvas close up the holes from the weave and the stitching.

Like Jo said the stinky solvent based stuff works best but do you need a lot. 4L tins of the Re-Proof were about I think $40 or more.

I think you can also buy genuine Bradmill canvas brand Re-proofing. That might be a safe option as Bradmill seem to be one of the biggest canvas mills in Australia and have a good reputation.
FollowupID: 406440

Sponsored Links