4wds & electronics

Submitted: Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 23:55
ThreadID: 30396 Views:2368 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Looks like electronics are hear to stay. The average 4by owner might have to do a course in diesel electronics to do his own repairs? Probably need a test machine in his toolbox so as when the thing chits its self out in the bush plug in ok sensor 247z stuffed hope to christ theres one iin the bag of electronic gizmos.
That or get towed how far for repairs? Our machines now will be dinasours in ten to fifteen years so what do you do?
Cheers Axle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eddy - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 23:59

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 23:59
But a series 111 landrover before they get too rare!
AnswerID: 152851

Follow Up By: Eddy - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 00:01

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 00:01
David. any chance of a spell checker or do I get a keyboard with bigger buttons &\or new specks?
FollowupID: 406643

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 00:02

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 00:02
With a suzy 4bd1 motor excellent!
FollowupID: 406644

Follow Up By: Pluto - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 08:11

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 08:11
That'll give the keyboard plenty of grunt!! :-)
FollowupID: 406672

Reply By: desert - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 08:15

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 08:15
Just because the new fan-dangle , electronic bar-mix, toy vehicles are all electronic, doesn't mean you have to buy one does it? Plenty of mechanical diesels and carby petrols are going to be chugging along for the next 20 years or so. Or did you think that this diesel bug was a flash-in-the-pan fad?
AnswerID: 152871

Follow Up By: Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 09:14

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 09:14
The big bosses in Canberra may well decide that your old gas guzzeling / poluting oil burner, ozone depleteing truck will be sent to the scrap heap or museum by then ! I wouldn't bet on a twenty year life extension on any non computer controlled vehicle.
FollowupID: 406682

Follow Up By: desert - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 16:26

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 16:26
You gotta be kidding me KiwiKia! Thats what they said about leaded super. I still see 30 year old Nissans,Tojo's, Holdens and Fords getting around! What fool politician would try to pass legislation that would cause everybody to buy a new car or truck every 2 to 3 years, to keep up with Euro standards? Just think of the Transport industry for a start, you reckon all these truckies are going to buy a new $400,000 rig every time a new standard is set? Get real.
FollowupID: 407054

Reply By: Sam from Weipa Auto Electrics - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 09:29

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 09:29
I think electronics in cars are a non issue theres already 1hdt-fte motors in cruiser with as much kms as 300,000 running around and they dont seem to have any major issues.
AnswerID: 152885

Follow Up By: StephenF10 - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:18

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:18
I agree. If the Prophets of Doom had their way we would still be running around in vehicles that required constant fiddling with points, dwell angle, timing and mixture to run properly, or big heavy diesels that deliver very little power while using too much fuel (hang on - Nissan are still making those!).

My first experience with a "computerised" engine was a VN Commodore which just ran and ran without being touched. Give me the reliability and efficiency of electronics any day.

Stephen.
FollowupID: 406695

Reply By: arthurking83 - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:04

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:04
The only problem I see with vehicle electronics, is that it's not compulsory to have a user freindly "diagnosis centre" fitted or optionally available for those inclinded to self diagnosing problems (as most of seem to be!!)

Haven't there been compulsory changes in about 2000, where the manufacturers had to make the computer codes available and standardised, so that "Joe Average Serviceman" had a fleeting chance to stay in business.
That is.... against the rising popularity of manufacturers tendency to incorporate undecipherable diagnosis codes the electronics, forcing the public to seek a dealer with the correct computer equipment, when a problem struck!

My understanding is that anyone can purchase the diagnosis software, plug it into the main electronics brain in the vehicle, and troubleshoot the problems him/herself(??)

This can only be a good thing, as when a problem exists, it makes problem finding easier!

I'm waiting for the day when I can afford a "new" vehicle (and therefore pension off my old greenhouse gas factory ;-).

I fear for my kids future, and "our" insatiable appetite for all things polluting(!!) is going to impact on their lives!
Imagine the levels of "legislation" they're going to face, if "we" don't do our part to make their world an 'environmentally happier' place.

cheers.
AnswerID: 152892

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:28

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:28
I totally agree, And I do think in the future the average Joe serviceman ,especially in remote areas will have to have access to some sort of standardised codes & testing equiptment.
FollowupID: 406700

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 13:00

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 13:00
Now here's a thing,

What if I said you'd had solid state electronics in your car since the early 70's and didn't even know it!!
When we went to the much higher output and reliable alternator we actually inherited solid state devices in the form of diodes. (Did you know that the commutater on the armature of a generator is actually a very rough mechanical rectifier)
Then we received solid state electronics in tacho's, speedo's and even the whole dashboard. Still in the 70's.
What about the very first dual battery systems, I had one in my HJ45 all those years ago. It was 2 diodes mounted on a lump of aluminium and encapsulted in some epoxy to keep out the water!!
I've got a VL Commodore too, funny thing, it's got a Nissan engine and Nissan computer. The bugger is 20 years old. Do you know what's let me down in 20 years? (I bought it off my parents who bought it new, no mystery in the history)
2 x Starter Motors
1 x Alternator
X x sets shockies and strut cartridges
1 x Auto Sump gasket
1 x rear muffler hanger
1 x rust

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's called evolution. We once crank started cars and I'm sure somebody once said, "Bloody new fangled electric motor, bound to chit itself"

Electronics has given us more powerful, fuel efficient, user friendly and informative cars than we've ever had.

As Sam from Weipa mentioned, not a lot of trouble from the ECU's in the 78 Series Cruisers he deals with. Same can't be said for the 100? year old design of the 100 Series front diff.

Just my perspective and opinion,

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 152915

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 13:27

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 13:27
Fair Enought Geoff, Electronics on cars of some discription or other has been developing over a long period of time most are very reliable systems.However on modern diesel engines (ask any trucking company)there appears to be more probs surfacing with electronic systems with diesel motors. mate has a Kenworth with c15 cat, motor expired last week electronic related problem.
Cheers Axle
FollowupID: 406740

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 13:35

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 13:35
Hi Axle,
I can see what your mate is saying too.
On the other hand, my mate is a branch manager for a very large transport company, the name of which starts with "B" and ends with "L" with 3 letters in the middle.
Tony's take on trucks with electronics is very positive, he reckons the horsepower is way up, the fuel is way down, maintenance is down, he know's who kicks the chit out of a truck, who is kind to the gear and a whole host of other stuff.
He still says the biggest source of breakdowns are old time mechanical, anything with moving parts. Gearboxes, diffs, even lumps dropping out the side of blocks.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 406742

Reply By: F4Phantom - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 15:12

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 15:12
as for car cpu's it seems they are very reliable and really have proven themselves over time. When you say electrics I still think there are going to be huge electrical problems in modern cars once they become a bit older, not from computers though, but from all the accessories. I have heard of airbags going off by themselves at around 15 years old (obviously the first airbags, so maybe they are made better now?) dash board components with inbuilt tv, mp3, cd, dvd, are all worth a fortune to replace, electric seats dont last forever, all the little servo motors and wiring that do more and more in modern cars I think will be the biggest cause of problems. The discovery 3 even has a soft touch rubber handle in the rear door which remotely opens the door for you with a minimum of effort but what will be the cost when it breaks, and you cant open the door, the mechanical lever is non-exsistant. many cars also have self closing boots too and doors. When electonics have to physically move something the wear process sometimes has a worse/more expensive outcome than mechanical only parts wearing out.
AnswerID: 152948

Reply By: Ray Bates - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 21:32

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 21:32
Hi. The elctric starter motor killed the Stanley Steamer.
I had a HJ troopy a few years ago and the motor that opened and closed the fuel pump cacked it. The replacement cost was humungust so I fitted an old choke cable that I had to open and close the pump. No trouble after that
AnswerID: 153010

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 22:24

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 22:24
You are a man after my own heart!1
FollowupID: 406899

Sponsored Links